Simple Question

tosha

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying the Samsung QE55Q80T and I have one simple question, well I thought it was simple until I chatted to the so called Samsung's experts. Okay i admit when it comes to electronics I'm no geek, I'm just a cautious retired engineer who can't abide spending money. I've no doubt the salesmen at John Lewis will do their best to blind me with science but before I put petrol in the tank and spend half an hour behind the wheel unnecessarily I thought I'd ask you guys first. If it can be done what's the best way to record a different program to the one I'm watching.
The experts tell me I can record a program if its on the same multiplex (what ever that means) by either using a USB stick or an external hard drive but they will not specifically state I can record a DIFFERENT program to the one I'm watching. Your help would be very much appreciated thank you

Digital Terrestrial TV channels broadcasts multiple channels together in a package on a single frequency, this is called a multiplex. There are about 7 in total currently, although some transmitters don't transmit all of them.

The freeview website tell you which multiplex each channel is broadcast on:

I'm not familiar with the specific software on that TV, but it sounds like they're saying you can only watch and record simultaneously if the two channels are on the same multiplex - likely because the TV only has a single tuner.

In order to record multiple channels, pause LiveTV etc you're really looking at buying a separate box such as a Humax or one of the alternatives.
The software on these devices is far more developed as well for doing what you're asking.

As above, the TV only has a single tuner.

So am I right in thinking a TV set with a single tuner can only latch onto a dedicated number of channels being broadcast on a single frequency. But this Humax that Sloppy Bob mentions is a box of tricks that would allow me to record more programs on several frequencies.

Couple of reviews on here for PVR's

And a Humax which has probably been superceded by a newer model.

You may be able to do what you want by recording the live Freeview broadcast to a USB device while watching another channel on a catchup service on the Internet. Most BBC programming is available to watch live via iPlayer, not sure about the commercial services. But a PVR is really the way to go.

And a Humax which has probably been superceded by a newer model.

Thanks for your replies guys, looks like I'll be shelling out another few bob in addition to the TV
As I said I hope to be getting the Samsung Q80T soon but before I do there's just one thing you might be able to help me with. It looks like all the necessary cables will thread through the vertical foot that supports the set. According to the installation videos there appears to be a small hole at the base of this foot which would enable cables to enter from below. As the set will be resting on a mahogany mantelpiece this method of concealing the cables would be ideal but this hole hardly seems big enough. If anyone has installed a similar set up I'd be interested to know how you got on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom