SKY and new build pre-wired HD distribution

Hosgood

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First post, so apologies if this question has been asked before. I'm (hopefully) purchasing a new build home in the next month and from vising the property and reading the specification list it appears to be fitted with what's described as a a Star wired telecom structure with cat 5e/6 cable and pre-wired for HD distribution and satelite with HD and ethernet cables in all rooms.

I'm looking to get Sky Q but I'm not clear on how this setup would work. The HD and ethernet seems to come from a central hub in a cupboard in the hall. Does anyone have this setup already as it seems to be fairly standard from the new builds ive seen? Are you able to connect a sky box to the hub for the content to then feed to all rooms, or are boxes required in each room? In the former how would changing channel work? I understand SKy Q uses WiFi rather than just the dish so does it make the wiring somewhat redundant.

Apologies if these are stupid questions but the construction company aren't really helping to explain.

Sky will only install 1 Q box but you can have 4 or 5 minis I think, Q box is cabled to dish and minis are either WiFi or ethernet, so you can go ethernet to router and router to mini or WiFi all round or a combination.

You can connect main box to router too and switch off wifi on main box. If house is ethernetted up to connect to one point that will work great too.

I've connected my SKY Q up with ethernet from main box to router and from mini box to router.

As far as I am aware sky have not gone dishless, so main SkyQ box can goto central location. However this will only feed a single location and you will need a dish installed with a feed into that location.

SkyQ mini boxes then connect to that box through its own WiFi mesh or using ethernet. Only 2 additional minis will work at the same time.

Some new housing developments have a central dish that all houses connect to. Might be worth checking with developer

As far as I am aware sky have not gone dishless, so main SkyQ box can goto central location. However this will only feed a single location and you will need a dish installed with a feed into that location.

SkyQ mini boxes then connect to that box through its own WiFi mesh or using ethernet. Only 2 additional minis will work at the same time.
It fills your Wifi up with loads of traffic. You will need a strong Wifi signal in all rooms, I tried using the ethernet hard-wired set up a few years ago, but the Mini box kept dis-connecting went back to Wifi and all was ok.

All my boxes are wired and work fine, but WiFi works well to if you are in a new built as all load bearing walls are solid the rest tend to be stud walls.

A good trick is to have multiple wifi access points and have all tvs, smart home iot devices go through its own ssid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom