Sky back in for Champions League? The deadline for bids for the rights is today (November 11th).

D

Deleted member 765458

"
Pay-TV broadcaster Sky is reportedly planning to take on BT and ITV for the broadcast rights to Champions League football.

The rights cycle for the tournament from 2021 to 2024, along with Europa League, is said to have already attracted significant interest from ITV. The FTA commercial broadcaster is set to mount a bid to bring the tournaments back to terrestrial TV, having lost the rights in 2015 when BT Sport acquired the exclusive UK rights to all European fotball for £900 million. "

Being a Sky Sports subscriber I hope so but not if it’ll significantly bump up my monthly fee. I’m told you can watch these European games via ‘other sources’ but my associate tells me the picture quality isn’t great plus it does stutter a lot and even black out!

Good and hopefully BT sack of Owen and McPointy as well

If Sky get it they will use it as an excuse to bump up the subscription price, even though when they lost it we didn't all get a reduction.

If Sky get it they will use it as an excuse to bump up the subscription price, even though when they lost it we didn't all get a reduction.

Sorry, that statement doesn’t add up. As a Sky subscriber it would cost me over £40 a month to get BT Sport in multi-room HD, and even then they (BT) withhold UHD and catch-up on the AMC channels. Are you telling me that if Sky would have been successful in CL bid, the cost of SkySports would have gone up by tens of pounds?

BT have become the very worst example of consumer exploitation, ironically an OFCOM created reality, that was supposed to stop Sky doing anything exploitive.

Yep, can’t believe BT charge £10 or something for HD, yes, HD , not 4K

Used to watch the odd show on AMC, but just because they’ve pulled it, won’t make me get a BT TV box.

Will be cancelling BT sport once my contract is up.

Sorry, that statement doesn’t add up. As a Sky subscriber it would cost me over £40 a month to get BT Sport in multi-room HD, and even then they (BT) withhold UHD and catch-up on the AMC channels. Are you telling me that if Sky would have been successful in CL bid, the cost of SkySports would have gone up by tens of pounds?

Of course not.
But when Sky lost the Champions League which they had increased the subscription by a few quid to justify, the subscription did not decrease. If they had won back the Champions League you can bet they would have added £3 to the monthly fee at least.

Clearly it would have still been cheaper than having BT and Sky separately.
I have BT along with Sky and it does not cost me anywhere near £40 a month.

Of course not.
Clearly it would have still been cheaper than having BT and Sky separately.
I have BT along with Sky and it does not cost me anywhere near £40 a month.

just because you got a deal, doesn’t negate the standard offering BT market to customers, in the same way there are ways to haggle deals with Sky we are all aware of, but the advertised package to the majority is what we have to be interested in for evaluation and comparison.

There are BT Sport deals around, last year I got it half price with £10 activation via Wowcher but for 12-months, when a price increase was notified when footy season finished I was able to cancel early without penalty. But this season the Sky box only offer, with HD and multi room via bt.com with £30 activation was over £40 per month. There was a recent Wowcher deal for 30% off basic SD plus HD fir 3 months, but that was still too expensive for me, based on only wanting to watch Champions League.

It’s extremely disappointed that Sky have been able to bring their bundled BT Spirt packages to market, trumpeted as a new deal/offering over a year ago now. i
I can’t believe it is a commercial obstacle, must be legal.

just because you got a deal, doesn’t negate the standard offering BT market to customers, in the same way there are ways to haggle deals with Sky we are all aware of, but the advertised package to the majority is what we have to be interested in for evaluation and comparison.

There are BT Sport deals around, last year I got it half price with £10 activation via Wowcher but for 12-months, when a price increase was notified when footy season finished I was able to cancel early without penalty. But this season the Sky box only offer, with HD and multi room via bt.com with £30 activation was over £40 per month. There was a recent Wowcher deal for 30% off basic SD plus HD fir 3 months, but that was still too expensive for me, based on only wanting to watch Champions League.

It’s extremely disappointed that Sky have been able to bring their bundled BT Spirt packages to market, trumpeted as a new deal/offering over a year ago now. i
I can’t believe it is a commercial obstacle, must be legal.

In fact just read the AMC channel has been removed from Sky making it an even bigger ripoff to Sky subscribers.

Yep, AMC was removed a couple of months ago.

Not quite sure what BT hope to achieve by that, apart from pissing people off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom