Sky lnb and freesat

Robertinlondon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Trying to work out which lnb I have on my sky dish and whether I can change to freesat. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I have two cables running into the house (seems like one goes into the flat upstairs). Do I need to switch the cables for freesat or get an entirely different lnb?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200616_161422.jpg
    20200616_161422.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 120
Is your present Sky box Sky+HD or Sky Q?
if you have Sky+HD the LNB should work okay on Freesat.
If you have Sky Q the LNB needs to be the Wideband type to work on a Freesat box and you would have needed to specify you wanted a wideband type at the time of the Sky Q installation.

Trying to work out which lnb I have on my sky dish and whether I can change to freesat. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I have two cables running into the house (seems like one goes into the flat upstairs). Do I need to switch the cables for freesat or get an entirely different lnb?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Which Freesat box are you going to buy ?

The lnb looks like a standard quad universal.

If you have a SKy-HD box it will continue to work as a watch only box for free to air channels after you cancel your subscription.

If you pull out the card and can still watch say a BBC channel, the lnb and cabling is fine for a freesat box.

If it's the above Your two cables will work with First generation Humax twin tuner pvrs Foxsat-HDR, and 2nd generation HDR-1000s, HDR-1010s and HDR-1100S.

It will also work with the newest box from Arris. It will though be restricted to recording two at once. This box can be used with a wideband lnb. to increase recording to up to 4. If your diish is used to feed the flat upstairs then you will not have this option unless they get their own dish.

The Humax units will record two at once and also have some 3rd channels you can view while recording two. These depend on which two channels you are recording. Example if you happen to be recording two from the same transponder (eg BBC1-HD and BBC2-HD) Then only one tuner is needed so the second tuner can view any other channel. Not sure if the Arris box has this capability.

Thank you for your replies. Just moved in to the flat and unfortunately I don't know if the previous owners had a q box or standard sky + HD!

It sounds like it should work with freesat so I guess I will get a cheap box and try!

The LNB is a Q Hybrid 2 Wideband outputs and 4 Standard KU

That is one off the hybrid lnb so q and normal sky will work on any port.
It should just be plug and play with a Freesat box

I’m at a friends house who has a Sky dish and twin cable from the LNB into the house but when plugging either cable into the back on an LG TV with FreeSat it shows the 7-Day schedule but there’s no Channels even after doing a channel search with either cable.
Any view on how they can get FreeSat in their smart TV??
Help much appreciated if possible while in here. 👍

The dish and LNB are from a Sky Q contract.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 72
That's the wideband Q LNB - it won't work with that Freesat TV.
Options are to either change the LNB or get the new Arris Freesat box (that works with the Q LNB).

RS101
Cheers and thanks for the Reply.
I thought it might’ve been but wasn’t sure. That explains why no feed to the TV.
I guess this LNB is the one which will record up to 4 programs at the same time.
What replacement LNB would you suggest they get (type) and how much would it be?

I'd probably get the new hybrid LNB (has 2 wideband and 4 standard outputs).
That'll work with their TV and, if they want to either go back to Sky or get the Arris box and use all the tuners, they'll be able to do so.

Cheers and much appreciated.
I guess the best place to buy one is somewhere like Amazon/CPC Farnell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom