Sky Q Box connection to another tv ..upstairs

Barum27

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am getting a sky Q Box....at present I am running sky HD Box upstairs via coaxel and magic eye. Is there anyway that I can do this with Q Box which doesnt have rf output

Yes with a mini. And it will be in HD as well (from an HD source)

Thank .you for your reply,but I understand that the SKY Q BOX has only a HDMI socket on back. Will I need something to go from HDMI to convert to coaxel ? and, can you use a remote upstairs to change channels downstairs on the main Q BOX ? I think I might have misled you.... My SKy HD downstairs is being replaced with a Q BOX

Sorry to be a pain, but my knowledge on this is not great

What sky Q box are you getting? You have to have the sky Q 2tb main box and have a sky Q multi screen subscription that will entitle you to one sky Q mini box that connects to your broadband and is connected via hdmi to you tv... this allows you to watch sky in another room and you will get HD.

Read the top post in this forum

What TV tuner does your upstairs TV have currently? Is it DVB/Freeview or DVB-T/Freeview HD compatible?

You will need to add a HDMI modulator if you want to recreate your existing coax/magic eye setup with Sky Q. There are modulators that convert HDMI to an SD standard channel, and “better” models that will convert to a 1080p HD channel, but your TV needs to have an HD compatible digital tuner.

Some modulators also support magic eye control - they have an IR emitter that fires IR at the SkyQ box sensor as well as the receivers that go at the remote TV. If you pick a model without this support then you need a separate control solution.

Some modulators also include HDMI pass-thru, which means you can connect the Sky W box and local TV to the modulator directly and don’t need a separate HDMI splitter (as there is only a single output on the Sky box which needs to be connected to two devices).

A HD modulator with IR control and HDMI pass-thru built in can be found here:

Edision HDMI Modulator Xtend HDMI to DVB-T (HDMI Loop, RF Loop, Control Infrared Signal via Coaxial Cable, Plug & Play, Full HD, HDTV, DVB-T MPEG4, USB Pre-Config Function) Quick Installation Edision HDMI Modulator Xtend HDMI to DVB-T Quick: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If you would like to be able to watch different Sky channels and recordings at bithbTVs at once then it would be simpler to sign up for multiroom and have a Sky Mini at the remote TV.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
but I understand that the SKY Q BOX has only a HDMI socket on back.
That is to connect it to local TV only.
Will I need something to go from HDMI to convert to coaxel ?
NO. Not if you have a mini/multiroom as well
can you use a remote upstairs to change channels downstairs on the main Q BOX ?
Not sure, but why would you want to. Change channels on the mini box. What's happening downstairs and upstairs are completely independent. The only thing is that you are limited to HD upstairs whereas downstairs will be UHD with a suitable 4k TV.
I think I might have misled you.... My SKy HD downstairs is being replaced with a Q BOX
No you haven't. Post #6 is misleading, as you do not need to 'reproduce' the system that you haveat the moment.

The second and third sentences in Post #4 spells it out. The only thing that is missing from my earlier post and that is that the main box and the mini connect together via either WiFi or an Ethernet cable. All recordings are made on the main box, but the recordings and 'live TV' are independently accessible from either box.[/quote][/quote]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom