Roohster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the SKY forums but even there nobody seems to know when HDR will be added.

I know a couple of SKY people use AV Forums, so I wondered if anyone knew anything?
HDR was supposed to be rolling out "late 2019", and it's about as late 2019 as you can get :p

I know - I have been on the Sky User Forums but there is no info there, even from some insiders who previously knew what was coming.

I have the 2TB v1 box (ES140) and running the firmware status info, it tells me that my box is not able to do HDR. If you have a v2 you can try it.

http://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/information (change the IP address to the one of your Q box)

There was a rumor that a new box was being tested but this has never been confirmed.

That firmware page is a little misleading - it used to say uhdCable:false with the original firmware. It just shows what the box is able to output, based on the firmware and enabled features.

Sky Italia customers have the same V2 box as many UK customers (with additional tuners) and they have HDR support.

The new 1TB box has HDR (not enabled yet) too.

Rumours are that the original v1 box won't do HDR and will need replacing. That may explain some of the delay - the V2 has a compatibility issue with some TVs and they may want that resolved before swapping them out, if that's necessary.

The Sky Q 1tb box has HDR capability as well as being UHD capable too. A step in the right direction. I imagine it'll be on the next iteration of the 2tb box.

The Sky Q 1tb box has HDR capability as well as being UHD capable too. A step in the right direction. I imagine it'll be on the next iteration of the 2tb box.
The Italian box is the same as the current UK V2 2TB box and that does HDR, so it's incredibly unlikely that the UK V2 doesn't also.

As Sky charges extra for everything I reckon the Marketing Dept have been told go find a ploy to charge extra for HDR and the resulting silence explains the delay.

I have the 2TB v1 box (ES140) and running the firmware status info, it tells me that my box is not able to do HDR. If you have a v2 you can try it.

http://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/information (change the IP address to the one of your Q box)

Thanks, it says HDR Capable: False :(

I guess they'll be replacing a lot of boxes... unless they can do it with a firmware update. I've got the V2 box so fingers crossed (if it ever happens)

As Sky charges extra for everything I reckon the Marketing Dept have been told go find a ploy to charge extra for HDR and the resulting silence explains the delay.

I think they'd be in trouble as they advertised HDR as part of the Q/4K package.

They need to pull their fingers out, now that Amazon is broadcasting premier league games in HDR it makes SKY look bad.

Last edited:
Thanks, it says HDR Capable: False :(

I guess they'll be replacing a lot of boxes... unless they can do it with a firmware update. I've got the V2 box so fingers crossed (if it ever happens)

I think they'd be in trouble as they advertised HDR as part of the Q/4K package.

They need to pull their fingers out, now that Amazon is broadcasting premier league games in HDR it makes SKY look bad.

The V2 boxes said uhdCapable:false until they enabled UHD support (via firmware and entitlement changes on the card) so the data on that status page doesn't actually help much.

I may drop Sky Cinema if I have to change my box and just rely on Netflix and Amazon Prime for my HDR films. Certainly not paying any extra.

There is a post today on Sky's own forum (by a Sky employee) that HDR is unlikely to arrive before the end of 2020. Sad but true.

That is good news :) BUT I am not holding my breath :p

Only time will tell if my v1 silver box will actually work :(

Only time will tell if my v1 silver box will actually work :(

If it doesn't, give them a ring and tell them you took the SKY Q service on the understanding that it was capable of HDR.

If it doesn't, give them a ring and tell them you took the SKY Q service on the understanding that it was capable of HDR.
Back in 2016 when Sky Q was launched there was no mention of HDR so I'm not sure that would fly.

The first time HDR was mentioned was after the V2 2TB boxes were the standard 4K box. There were some that reverted to a V1 box because of the issues the V2 box had with some TV's, notably 2016 LG sets, due to the different video chipset it used.

Back in 2016 when Sky Q was launched there was no mention of HDR so I'm not sure that would fly.

The first time HDR was mentioned was after the V2 2TB boxes were the standard 4K box. There were some that reverted to a V1 box because of the issues the V2 box had with some TV's, notably 2016 LG sets, due to the different video chipset it used.

I wonder if that's why it seems to be a very low key launch of HDR - to give them the opportunity to sort out upgrades for v1 users? (the new v3 box seems to work with 2016 LG sets)

Well let’s hope their hdr offering is better than their interpretation of uhd ... no better than hd imho.

Well let’s hope their hdr offering is better than their interpretation of uhd ... no better than hd imho.
If your Q box is set to output @2160p then there is not much difference between upscaled HD and UHD, I usually only download UHD movies to get Dolby Atmos. Hopefully their HDR (which I think will actually be HLG) will be noticeable.

The games are already on my skyq box but I would hope hdr is bloody well supported..

I wonder how much extra we're going to be charged for HDR? 🤣

(Only joking. I hope)

Well seeing as they still charge £10 for 'HD', I'd bet £10 for HDR.

No charge as long as you have the UHD sub.

Or less:)

Utterly ridiculous that SKY (and others) still treat HD as a premium add-on when it's been around for 15+ years.
I hoped I was joking about HDR being extra, I've probably tempted fate now :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom