I've got an LG c9.

Sometimes when watching live sport in HDR the picture goes dull like it's lost the hlg feed. If I turn channel and back it kicks back in.

It sound to me steviedr that you are not picking up hlg
I’ve go the C9 too and the odd time this has indeed happened, hit the back button and back in and the HLG flag comes up.
Definitely working yesterday, picture was very bright (and that’s during the day…)

Yep, race lovely and bright which is bizarre given its a sunny day here on an oled.
Nice contrasty colours too.
Switched over to the HD feed, looks like a 720p feed in comparison.
While Sky is expensive, their F1 coverage is superb, and the HDR feed is fantastic.
Felt the same with House if Dragons earlier in the week.

Watched the steamed HD feed upstairs on the old plasma, no cloud details, just a white blob but man, the motion on good old plasma looks so good.

Last edited:
The gamma is locked to HLG for Sky HDR, how are you getting ST.2084?
It’s not a gamma issue. Not sure how Samsung TVs handle it, but typically HDR content has a Rec2020 colourspace, whereas SDR content is in Rec709 colourspace. The TV if setup optimally should auto detect this and switch to the appropriate HDR mode automatically. On modern TVs with filmmaker mode you shouldn’t need to mess with any picture settings.

Just reset all picture modes to defaults, and put it in Filmmaker mode, that should be all that is needed.

Mine switches to a gamma mode entitled HLG...

Mine switches to a gamma mode entitled HLG...
HLG is the HDR mode Sky broadcasts, so it must also have a preset Gamma. But atypically you should not need to watch anything but Filmmaker mode, which will already have accurate picture settings for SDR/HDR viewing, and auto-switch accordingly. Unless you detest the Filmmaker mode and want unnatural colours and brightness you should not need to use another picture mode and bespoke settings.

Don't have filmmaker mode on the q90r, only movie mode which in my eyes is far too dark and has a greenish hue to it..

Still think it's simply a Sky issue, I know how to adjust picture settings, I know when the TV is changing to a HDR signal without issue and Sky is dark n dim. Every single other HDR picture on my apps, blu-ray player and games consoles has zero issue and doesn't need settings adjusted to try and force brightness.

I've got an LG c9.

Sometimes when watching live sport in HDR the picture goes dull like it's lost the hlg feed. If I turn channel and back it kicks back in.

It sound to me steviedr that you are not picking up hlg
Same happens for me on my LG C1 - only takes 2 secs to flick off the channel and back on :smashin:

My biggest frustration has been the delay when switching to recordings etc whilst watching an HDR channel. I use the sports main event UHD channel all the time and it's a pain.

Any tips for the best settings to get away from the too-dark HDR and blue blocking on dark scenes on Samsung TVs? Currently I've just ramped the HLG setting up to 3 but it's not helped with the blue...

Which Samsung TV and with which Sky content?

QN94A, House of the Dragon

To be fair until HotD, I hadn't noticed any problems.

If it is just that content then it's down to HBO. They have history with poor pq....

If it is just that content then it's down to HBO. They have history with poor pq....
The first ep of HotD looked OK in HLG on my Panasonic OLED - one of Sky's better HLG attempts. The HDR10 and Dolby Vision streams looked better direct from HBO Max though. Much sharper and less compressed than the Sky downloads.

Unfortunately HBO has form with poor pq on sky and the current ceo despises the deal made by the previous one that hbo is only exclusive to sky. So read into this what you like.
I also read on a couple of forums that the pq wasn't that good with dv either, the director also has history with producing very dark poor pq scenes in GOT as well..

Yeah, it’s a dark grade overall, even in DV. Lacks punch and is generally fairly dull, much like the show itself IMHO. I zipped through a few eps of GoT in 4K DV on HBO Max & they looked pretty good, infinitely better than anything Sky put out. It’s partly why I stopped watching Sky Atlantic and took out an HBO Max sub via VPN. The compression and speed up on Sky was becoming too noticeable.

I am finding the best picture comes from using standard picture mode instead of film maker, and/or turning on contrast enhancer

I can't see it's entirely down to content because HotD via Sky looks good on my Philips TV and no colour shifting in the blacks.

I'm more inclined to put it down to a Samsung issue because of the history of problems Samsung sets have had with Sky boxes going back to MY 2003 TV's.

Thing is the current CEO of HBO is extremely disgruntled with the deal made with Sky and that is behind the reasoning of the low birate they supply to SKY, something that's been stated a number of times by SKY. Other HDR content from SKY is fine on my tv also, the 2020 film secret garden, f1 etc. is sublime.
The past, and long since resolved, handshake issues you refer to between Sky boxes and Samsung TV's has no bearing whatsoever on pq.
I'm not sure if you are comparing your Phillips OLED with a Samsung TV side by side but the Phillips may well have increased peak brightness, thus the reason why dark scenes are improved..

Last edited:
Still think it's simply a Sky issue, I know how to adjust picture settings, I know when the TV is changing to a HDR signal without issue and Sky is dark n dim. Every single other HDR picture on my apps, blu-ray player and games consoles has zero issue and doesn't need settings adjusted to try and force brightness.
Fully agree, doing it with my Sony AF8 lately and as you state I also don’t have this issue with any other HDR formats so definitely thinks it’s a Sky issue!

I did once managed to force it to drop out of HDR by using Sky Go on my tablet at the same time..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom