Kid Ulysses

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bad flicker on UHD content. More noticeable on older grainy UHD movies. Super annoying. The exact same 4K content on Netflix has no such flicker.

I have a brand new installed V2 box.

Really hope they can sort this soon with an update If that’s what’s causing it.

Sorry for igniting an old thread but I have just recently encountered this problem with my V1 Sky Q 2TB box. Only happened on dark scenes of UHD content. The whole picture would kind of flicker or strobe lighter and darker at a fast rate. In a light room it wasn’t easy to see but in a darkened room it was really off putting. If I played the HD version of the same content, with exactly the same TV settings, the problem was non existent.

Sky came and changed my box for newer box today and problem solved.

I have bad flicker on UHD content. More noticeable on older grainy UHD movies. Super annoying. The exact same 4K content on Netflix has no such flicker.

I have a brand new installed V2 box.

Really hope they can sort this soon with an update If that’s what’s causing it.
Book an online repair, that's what I did; showed the engineer the flicker on my V1 and he swapped it there and then for a V3. No flicker now.

Sorry for igniting an old thread but I have just recently encountered this problem with my V1 Sky Q 2TB box. Only happened on dark scenes of UHD content. The whole picture would kind of flicker or strobe lighter and darker at a fast rate. In a light room it wasn’t easy to see but in a darkened room it was really off putting. If I played the HD version of the same content, with exactly the same TV settings, the problem was non existent.

Sky came and changed my box for newer box today and problem solved.
Just to update anyone reading this thread - I thought my V2 Sky Q box had solved the issue but I have more recently noticed a similar issue but it’s now on BRIGHT scenes as opposed to the dark scenes where it would flicker before. It’s not AS annoying but it’s still not acceptable. I have ordered a new Sky Q box so I’m hoping they send a V3 but there’s no guarantee. I shall see tomorrow!

Finally I am flicker free! I now have a V3 Sky Q 2TB box and I can not see any flicker on any content tested so far where the problem would previously manifest (dark scenes in non-HDR UHD on the V1 box and bright scenes in non-HDR UHD on the V2 box). Note, the V1 box does not support HDR and HDR on the V2 box was flicker free.

Now I just need to hope that the spring and clip that fell out of the V3 box when I took it out of its packaging is not a problem!

How did you order a new box? I'm getting UHD football pitch flicker on V2 box.

Finally I am flicker free! I now have a V3 Sky Q 2TB box and I can not see any flicker on any content tested so far where the problem would previously manifest (dark scenes in non-HDR UHD on the V1 box and bright scenes in non-HDR UHD on the V2 box). Note, the V1 box does not support HDR and HDR on the V2 box was flicker free.

Now I just need to hope that the spring and clip that fell out of the V3 box when I took it out of its packaging is not a problem!
All working OK still?

How did you order a new box? I'm getting UHD football pitch flicker on V2 box.
Seeing as Sky are so averse you actually speaking on the phone, I used there help tool as suggested (either on Sky.com or the Sky app) and the nearest fault I could find was ‘Sky box not turning on’ or ‘no picture’ or similar so I clicked that and it literally said ‘click here to order a replacement Sky Q box’ so I did. Delivery driver arrived a couple of days later to swap out the boxes and luckily the one they delivered was a V3. The other option is to speak to Sky but they’ll probably send an engineer (which could take some time) and there’s still no guarantee they’ll have a V3 box so I chanced it with the online replacement process.

With regards to whether it’s still working ok - I have noticed some flickering but it’s now showing in HDR content on dark scenes but it is nowhere near as noticeable or off-putting as the bright screen flicker on the V2 box or the dark screen flicker on the V1. I also had a total of 6 momentary audio dropouts whilst watching Bad Boys for Life the other day and the audio dropouts during UHD football are worse than ever but I’ve come to accept those now. The dropouts during live broadcast seem to be a broadcast issue as if you rewind, they are always present. This differs from the audio dropouts during downloaded movies as when you rewind those, the dropout does not repeat.

Cheers. Engineer coming Sunday hopefully with v3 box. I asked for a v3. If they haven't brought one I won't be swapping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom