Sky Sports/ Cinema 4k Content Virgin Media

Am i correct in thinking that sky sports uhd has hdr while bt sport does not? I do not get hdr on bt sport ultimate.

Also sky cinema on virgin has no hdr but does on sky is that correct?

Last edited:
The Sky HD football coverage has gone back to being variable again. I’m amazed they haven’t been done for this because it’s not really fit for purpose at times.

Sky sports uhd on virgin media is not as good as BT sport uhd. BT sport uhd is Dolby+ 3840 x 2160. Very good quality picture. Sky sports uhd 3840 x 2160 HDR. The picture is so much darker....

i think only the prem games are in proper 4k and hdr, i find he hdr better on sky sports as bt seems to be extra bright for no reason

I’
Am i correct in thinking that sky sports uhd has hdr while bt sport does not? I do not get hdr on bt sport ultimate.

Also sky cinema on virgin has no hdr but does on sky is that correct?
I’m not so sure about I think it differs from tv to tv as it’s quite nice and bright on my tv which flicks the HDR brightness for the live sporting events but on my dads Sony it’s very dim

It's really irritating that the Virgin box software doesn't include an option to force SDR, like I have heard the Sky box does (and seen screenshots of the option).

When watching Sky Sports UHD on an SDR TV it forces HDR, which has a muted colour pallette on an SDR TV, so the you get the benefit of the 4K resolution and higher bitrate, but the colour is dull.

What really takes the cake though, is that if you pause Sky Sports UHD and then press the left or right arrow on the remote to skip 10 seconds back or 30 seconds forward, for a split second the signal goes to the SDR colour pallette, before returning to HDR as soon as the footage resumes.

So that means the SDR signal is right there, it just needs a simple toggle in the settings to enable and force (or I'm sure it could even be sophisticated enough to figure out the EDID of the TV to automatically adjust according to the TV's capabilities).

I'll be getting the A95k or LZ2000 this Summer, but for the time being it would be nice to enjoy this channel properly. As it is, I'm just putting up with the muted colour pallette, as the benefit in resolution and bitrate is worth it compared to the HD channel.

It's really irritating that the Virgin box software doesn't include an option to force SDR, like I have heard the Sky box does (and seen screenshots of the option).

When watching Sky Sports UHD on an SDR TV it forces HDR, which has a muted colour pallette on an SDR TV, so the you get the benefit of the 4K resolution and higher bitrate, but the colour is dull.

What really takes the cake though, is that if you pause Sky Sports UHD and then press the left or right arrow on the remote to skip 10 seconds back or 30 seconds forward, for a split second the signal goes to the SDR colour pallette, before returning to HDR as soon as the footage resumes.

So that means the SDR signal is right there, it just needs a simple toggle in the settings to enable and force (or I'm sure it could even be sophisticated enough to figure out the EDID of the TV to automatically adjust according to the TV's capabilities).

I'll be getting the A95k or LZ2000 this Summer, but for the time being it would be nice to enjoy this channel properly. As it is, I'm just putting up with the muted colour pallette, as the benefit in resolution and bitrate is worth it compared to the HD channel.
Before you go for the LZ2000, wait for reviews compari9ng it to the LG G3 since they both use the same MLA OLED screen. I would not got got the Sony as I would not got for QD-OLED. Sports is better on MLA.

Just had an offer to upgrade to Sky sports UHD (F1/Main Event) for £3 a month for the next 18 months so giving it a go.

Just had an offer to upgrade to Sky sports UHD (F1/Main Event) for £3 a month for the next 18 months so giving it a go.
How did the offer appear---by phone, email?.

Came by email.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 10.40.26.png

Iv
I received the same offer email, shame they don’t have a deal on the combined cinema and sports UHD upgrade.

I’m hoping they send me the offer soon!

It's been a while since I've watched my virgin movies. But crumbs the uhd are awful.
I own mario on 4k bluray so I know what it should look like but the issue with no hdr with the uhd movies in virgin is an issue.
Is there a fix or am I stuck with this.over saturated red mess?

It's been a while since I've watched my virgin movies. But crumbs the uhd are awful.
I own mario on 4k bluray so I know what it should look like but the issue with no hdr with the uhd movies in virgin is an issue.
By Virgin Movies, do you mean Sky Cinema? Super Mario Brothers is on Sky Cinema and with Sky Q it is available in UHD/HDR. It looked good. I watched it the other day.

By Virgin Movies, do you mean Sky Cinema? Super Mario Brothers is on Sky Cinema and with Sky Q it is available in UHD/HDR. It looked good. I watched it the other day.
Yeah sorry sky cinema uhd on demand on my virgin 360 box.

I’m glad someone else has mentioned this because I think that TNT Sport Ultimate on my V6 box is over saturated with too much red in it.

Football is fine, there is a difference between sky sports and tnt sports though. Tnt is brighter so depends what you like.

My tv supports hlg

I've also checked it on all my tvs with virgin he have three boxes. All rooms it's shit and doesn't actually produce good colours for uhd content with films.

No issues with football to be honest in any

I've got a Samsung frame in the kitchen Area
Sony a80j in the main room
Samsung q80t in the office all are bad with it

My 4K football was great for me in "normal 4K" when it was BT Sport but now it's HDR it appears far too saturated for my liking on my LG C2 (HLG compatible). It might be due to me being used to the muted appearance of my plasma screen for many years before I had this OLED?

Is anyone having issues playing 4k movies via the sky cinema UHD app on the 360 box? I upgraded to both UHD sports and movies yesterday...the Sports channels are fine, but UHD movies are only playing in standard HD. I've just been on the phone with virgin and they have logged a fault, but was just wondering if the issue was the same for others.

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom