Sky Sports/ Cinema 4k Content Virgin Media

The V6 has subsequetly had a firmware revision that corrects its video configurations. The thread you link to doesn't account for these newer revisions and is no longer relevant. The situation now is as I've outlined above.

I changed mine to 1080i and above, that way I don't have to have the screen black whilst it refreshes.
And I don't care what anyone says the quality of the HD in the football yesterday was poor! I know I've been used to uhd but I watched some rubbish on netflix in standard HD yesterday and it was crisp and good. Even the tennis of prime was better. Disappointed to see how bad life has gotten and no wonder 4k looks so better because that's where the effort goes. No one looked at a bluray and went that looks pants. I know that's pure and a broadcast isn't but one can only feel TV has stepped back greatly

I should also point out to those expecting to get UHD content via the HD channels that this simply isn't ever going to be the case. If SKY do make UHD sports broadcasts available to Virgin Media customers then such content is going to be aired via dedicated UHD channels as opposed to it being made available via the existing SKY HD channels.

SKY prompt customers on their own playform when content is available in UHD and the customer then has to use the provided link to access the content. THe conyent isn't streamed to them via the HD channel that customer iswatching or via the channel the customer received the prompt and link via.

Basically, you are not going to get UHD content via existing HD channels and it will require the content to be viewed via a different channel or streaming mechanism.

TBH the way sky handles HD to UHD is not really any different to how VM handles SD to HD. By that I mean if you watch an SD channel on the V6 then the info bar offers up a blue button press to the HD presentation/channel. Due to the lack of available bandwith at 28.2e it's impossible for Sky to carry linear UHD channels mirroring the HD offerings, instead they just have 2 Dedicated UHD channels hidden from the EPG which covers all linear UHD content. Even if they did have the bandwith, the lack of broadcast UHD material means from a practical sense it's not worth it.

I expect VM to be the same, whether they actually hide the dedicated UHD channels and make them only accessable via a blue button or make them viewable within the EPG is up for debate.

You do not have to restrict the V6's output to just 1080i in order for that box to output the native resolution the box is receiving. You can select all the native formats the box is likely to encounter and if it receives a format you've selected then it will not then be scaled by the STB. Even if you've selected both the 1080i and the 2160p option, the box will not upscale native 1080i content up to 2160p and would only do that if the only the 2160p option were selected. There is no need to restrict the formats the box is configured to output in order to force the box to be able to output native resolutions, simply configure as follows and the box will only output the native resolution without any upscaling:

View attachment 1364845
View attachment 1364846

The box will subsequently not scale content up, but will output it at whatever native resolution the box is receiving.
Thanks for the tip, I use these settings on the living room V6 but watched the game in the dog's room yesterday and just realised I hadn't set his V6 up in this way :smashin:

I changed mine to 1080i and above, that way I don't have to have the screen black whilst it refreshes.
And I don't care what anyone says the quality of the HD in the football yesterday was poor! I know I've been used to uhd but I watched some rubbish on netflix in standard HD yesterday and it was crisp and good. Even the tennis of prime was better. Disappointed to see how bad life has gotten and no wonder 4k looks so better because that's where the effort goes. No one looked at a bluray and went that looks pants. I know that's pure and a broadcast isn't but one can only feel TV has stepped back greatly

Hi mate

from what i seen on twitter yesterday and threads such as this on the sky forum suggests the poor picture was not unique to virgin.

Fingers crossed it improves, I found it pretty jarring but I think it was because I had been watching BT Ultimate for the earlier games

It was awful, I watched the build up and sky sports news it was all just awful. Pointless on Friday however looked beautiful in HD.
I dont have sky any more so I can't compare which is a shane but when I had both virgin was worse. Sky sports uhd had always been good in the past.
I vowed to never stream football and support it the way I can but christ I've seen better streams in a flash player than yesterday. If you have a 32" TV or lower it maybe OK or you are partially sighted but to me it's unacceptable. I noticed when I had sky and they had films on TV or to download via the sky cinema on demand it was always a better quality to download as well and j just mean HD but this isn't the case with VM. The sky cinema films look pants as well.
I know I'm ultra anal and picky but like you said the bt sport ultimate looked good for the football I was happy enough with that.

TBH the way sky handles HD to UHD is not really any different to how VM handles SD to HD. By that I mean if you watch an SD channel on the V6 then the info bar offers up a blue button press to the HD presentation/channel. Due to the lack of available bandwith at 28.2e it's impossible for Sky to carry linear UHD channels mirroring the HD offerings, instead they just have 2 Dedicated UHD channels hidden from the EPG which covers all linear UHD content. Even if they did have the bandwith, the lack of broadcast UHD material means from a practical sense it's not worth it.

I expect VM to be the same, whether they actually hide the dedicated UHD channels and make them only accessable via a blue button or make them viewable within the EPG is up for debate.

TBH Virgin don't currently facilitate UHD content via HD channels and all UHD content is accessed either via dedicated UHD channels or using independent video streams. This is effectovely the same as what you'd experience if an actual SKY customer and don't see why Virgin would want or could do it differently? You aren't going to be able to access UHD content directly via the HD channels so those expecting to be receiving such content via the HD channels they are viewing are looking in the wrong place for such content. It will not be available via the HD channels. You may however get redirected to the UHD stream if and when UHD is an option? SKY simply don't mux UHD content into their HD channel feeds.

TBH Virgin don't currently facilitate UHD content via HD channels and all UHD content is accessed either via dedicated UHD channels or using independent video streams. This is effectovely the same as what you'd experience if an actual SKY customer and don't see why Virgin would want or could do it differently? You aren't going to be able to access UHD content directly via the HD channels so those expecting to be receiving such content via the HD channels they are viewing are looking in the wrong place for such content. It will not be available via the HD channels. You may however get redirected to the UHD stream if and when UHD is an option? SKY simply don't mux UHD content into their HD channel feeds.

I know mate, I think we actually agree here, Sky do not provide UHD via their HD channels it is simply a redirect to a separate channel which is hidden from the EPG :smashin:

specifically this one:-

60070DDC-EDCA-4B10-8D89-179A5B87B809.jpeg

They do have capacity for a second channel which they use when the football is likely to clash with other events such as the f1, tennis etc....

Anyone else think there must be some kind of contractual issue for this going on?

Also I'm expecting to have to pay for it, do people think it'll be thrown in with the main packages? Or a like for like replacement for the HD pack?

Meh

I got a reply from Virgin media tiday (over another matter), but asked about this issue and got this response:
"I know this is definitely coming but I don’t know any more than that myself, it’s all linked to contractual agreements which I’m not privy to."

Does this make sense to anyone?

BT sports already on it in 4k on channel 531

BT have facilitated UHD via Virgin for some considerable time now. This isn't anything new.

That is dating back to 2018.

They appear to be advertising new content on the channel as opposed to promoting the advent of BT Sport UHD. This isn't a new channel and the ad is simply advertising the content coming to that channel via BT.

Last edited:
BT have facilitated UHD via Virgin for some considerable time now. This isn't anything new.

That is dating back to 2018.

They appear to be advertising new content on the channel as opposed to promoting the advent of BT Sport UHD. This isn't a new channel and the ad is simply advertising the content coming to that channel via BT.
Hold on thats not what i posted! no no no its not hold on

Try that one! no idea what chrome did there. But mentions 555

Yes, that is the exact same link and web page you initially posted. As I pointed out, the page you link to isn't promoting a new channel. Virgin Media have hosted a BT UHD channel since 2018 as confirmed by the link I provided. The page you linked to is simply Virgin attempting to make it look as though it anew service when it is in fact 2 years old.

Yes, the page you link to is new, but the channel it mentions isn't. I know because I've had access to that channel for the past 2 years. I don't actually watch it though.

They've simply changed the channel number. Other than that, its the same channel. Neither is it exclusive to Virgin Media and BT provide acxcess to it via their own service and provision.

But they havent changed the number thats the issue and yeah i managed to get the correct link in the end. Its all a little odd

Virgin appear to be trying to imply its something new. They've dropped the BT Sports Ultimate channel title that was previously used and is used by BT and started promoting the BT Sport Ultimate channel as BT Sport 4K UHD.

Nothing unusual for Virgin and yet another attempt to attract new customers and rip them off.

Virgin Media either kmow more than wveryone else or simply aren't aware of what the channel is called?

BT Sport Ultimate: Who gets what?
While BT Sport Ultimate is capable of offering 4K, HDR and Dolby Atmos, it's not as simple as everyone getting the same quality.

• 4K UHD: This is available through the BT Sport app for several devices: Apple TV, Xbox One S and One X, PS4, Google Chromecast, the Now TV 4K Smart Box and some Samsung Smart TVs.

It is also available as part of the BT Sport Ultimate TV channel, formerly known as BT Sport 4K UHD. That's through BT TV and/or Virgin Media.

• Dolby Atmos: This is exclusive to BT TV customers watching BT Sport Ultimate.

• HDR: HDR content is available on the BT Sport app for Xbox One S and X, Samsung Smart TVs and Google Chromecast Ultra. It is available with 4K on each of those platforms.

HDR is also available through the BT Sport small screen app for iOS and Android smartphones, as long as the hardware supports it. They are restricted to HD streams, however.

BT Sport 4K UHD is what the channel was previously know as and is supposed to be now called BT Sport Ultimate. In fact, Virgin were previously refering to that channel using the name BT Sport Ultimate so I'be no idea as to why they are trying to turn back time and now using BT Sport 4K UHD when refering to the channel?

and no, it wasn't previously on channel 555 and was on channel 531:
Virgin Media offers TV access to BT Sport Ultimate. For Virgin Media customers you'll find it on channel 531

This was also confirmed via the link I posted in tmy previous post:

Last edited:
Yes and the channel number is wrong unless they are moving it? Or it was there i have no idea. It seems someone got bored wrote some copy and figured thats job done! ✅

Just watching some Andy Murray at the French open, looks pretty good in 4k hlg HDR. For those interested just tune into Eurosport, the 4k broadcast is hidden behind the red button :smashin:

*** first time out the house in a while. Damn it

Had a look at the 4k French Open this morning on Eurosport (the Kvitova match) and it looked distinctly darker. I'll have another look at some point but it wasn't good viewing, does anyone else have this? Doesn't happen on other 4k content I've ever watched.

Buying a Sony XH95 65” tomorrow and suddenly getting very cold feet.

The absolute main purpose is to watch football, and I’m tied into a Virgin contract with the V6 box.... Am I right to be worried?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom