Sky Sports/ Cinema 4k Content Virgin Media

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now Sky has released their plans for HDR, I can't but help think my VM6 box is completely lost to sky again. I left Sky for Virgin but the lack of UHD is really alarming, although they support netflix i wouldn't use that as it doesn't give my DV.
I'm wondering if they will hurry up with their plans for the sports and cinema content to come out

I remember seeing an announcement in July of last year, saying there will be Sky UHD channels on VM in 2020. No sign of it happening as of yet.

Yes there was an announcement but there has been no news since then on anything

The V6 box is fully HLG compliant. The BBC iPLayer app onboard the V6 has been able to convey HLG for well over a year and well in advance of SKY introducing this via their service.

There are also UHD channels available via Virgin's cable TV service. They've a UHD channel of their own, plus the BT Sports Ultimate channel. Neither option includes HLG HDR though, but the BT channel does include Atmos encoded audio if and when available.

This appeared in July 2019. We are coming up to a year since the announcement was made. I would love more 4k content! Where is it?

This appeared in July 2019. We are coming up to a year since the announcement was made. I would love more 4k content! Where is it?
Me too, the Virgin UHD channel is off-air most of the day and its content really doesn't appeal too much. Would like too see some Sky Cinema UHD content soon.

Just moving house and would seriously consider Virgin if there is 4k Sky sports ..I prefer the Sky Q system but the bundle price on VM with 500mb fibre is very appealing so an announcement ASAP would be nice so I can choose who to go with.

Just moving house and would seriously consider Virgin if there is 4k Sky sports ..I prefer the Sky Q system but the bundle price on VM with 500mb fibre is very appealing so an announcement ASAP would be nice so I can choose who to go with.
The price got me as well, but if it continues as it is, when my renewal is up I'm dropping them

"expectaculary"???? expialidocious :censored:

Higher resolutions are only really of any benefit relative to largwe displays. You'd not really notice any difference on smaller displays below say 55". HDR is probably more benwficial and the more imprtant aspect brought about by UHD. I'd however suggest HDR will not be an aspect of Virgin Media's UHD provision given the fact that Virgin Media are basically dependant upon third parties for its content.

4K via streaming and TV services is heavilly compressed anyway and the quality isn't all that good if the truth be known. It definately isn't exemplary :nono:

I have a 55 inch Panny Oled and can tell the difference between Sky sports football and f1 in UHD V HD , that said the HD is still pretty good.

Sky not doing a BT and Sky Sports Package that makes it closer to VM but without the fast Internet ...decisions , decisions....

Sky has started to offer G.Fast FTTC (up 150mb) and FTTP where available (see here). Have a look on the Sky page to see what they offer you. For me I did a quote on Sky as follows:
  • Sky Signature + Sky Sports + UHD/HD + BT Sports (HD only) + Sky Talk PAYG + Sky Broadband Ultrafast 1 (150mb, 100mb min guaranteed, 15-28mb upload) => £ 29.95 setup fee and £ 92 monthly 18 months contract
  • BT deal using the same broadband speed as above came out at £ 99.99 with £ 29.99 upfront. BT contracts are 24 months.
  • Currently I am on Virgin Full House with 350mb/35mb broadband and paying £ 66 / month + £ 29 for Sky Sports HD so total of £ 95 / month
So the Sky deal comes out cheaper than my current Virgin deal although the Sky deal it's only for new customers so Sky will rip me off on renewal and during the yearly price increases. Aside from that obviously Sky will be slower internet but I can live with 150mb and could save some money on Netflix Premium which Sky offers for £ 4 and I currently pay £ 12 directly to Netflix (£8/m savings). I could also get £92 cashback on Sky with Quidco. Having said that a more fair comparison with Virgin Media will be against VM's Ultimate Oomph bundle which is currently £ 78/m for new customers and comes with BT Sports 4K, Sky Sports HD, Sky Cinema HD, 500mb broadband, 2 Virgin boxes and an Unlimited SIM. I could also get £116 cashback with Quidco as a new customer. That is probably the best upper tier bundle out there.

Sadly there is currently no option that has both BT Sports and Sky Sports in UHD without buying 2 TV providers (either BT or VM and Sky). I think when I am up for renewal I am going to switch from VM to Sky and then back to VM and so on so I can get the best "new customer" prices. That seems to be the only way to get a decent price with these companies...

This may be of interest to some:

It is appearing as though Virgin are gearing up to making SKY UHD content available via Virgin's cable TV service.

Also note that the firmware revision mentioned is one that Virgin have been rolling out just recently.

Some people have experienced issues post update including issues with audio and the recording capabilities of their STB.

Last edited:
This may be of interest to some:

It is appearing as though Virgin are gearing up to making SKY UHD content available via Virgin's cable TV service.

Also note that the firmware revision mentioned is one that Virgin have been rolling out just recently.
If this happens tomorrow I'll be having a good day

Nope. I checked about thousand times too 😂😂

When the adverts look sharper than the actual live broadcast there's an issue. 😂🤣

Make sure the box is only outputting 1080i (no other options chosen) if you want sky sports HD to look it's best on virgin.

Make sure the box is only outputting 1080i (no other options chosen) if you want sky sports HD to look it's best on virgin.

You do not have to restrict the V6's output to just 1080i in order for that box to output the native resolution the box is receiving. You can select all the native formats the box is likely to encounter and if it receives a format you've selected then it will not then be scaled by the STB. Even if you've selected both the 1080i and the 2160p option, the box will not upscale native 1080i content up to 2160p and would only do that if the only the 2160p option were selected. There is no need to restrict the formats the box is configured to output in order to force the box to be able to output native resolutions, simply configure as follows and the box will only output the native resolution without any upscaling:

snapshot002.jpg

snapshot001.jpg

The box will subsequently not scale content up, but will output it at whatever native resolution the box is receiving.

Last edited:
I should also point out to those expecting to get UHD content via the HD channels that this simply isn't ever going to be the case. If SKY do make UHD sports broadcasts available to Virgin Media customers then such content is going to be aired via dedicated UHD channels as opposed to it being made available via the existing SKY HD channels.

SKY prompt customers on their own playform when content is available in UHD and the customer then has to use the provided link to access the content. THe conyent isn't streamed to them via the HD channel that customer iswatching or via the channel the customer received the prompt and link via.

Watching live sports
When you’re watching a Sky Sports channel, you’ll receive a prompt if an Ultra HD version is available. Follow the instructions to be taken to the live Ultra HD broadcast. Alternatively, press the red button and enjoy additional stats, highlights and information about the game.

If you want to pause, rewind and fast forward sport events in Ultra HD, you’ll need to access the Ultra HD broadcast via the Sky Q menu, rather than the on-screen prompt:

1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote then select Sports
  2. Select Featured, scroll down to Even Better in Ultra HD and select the sporting event you want to record.

Basically, you are not going to get UHD content via existing HD channels and it will require the content to be viewed via a different channel or streaming mechanism.

Last edited:
You do not have to restrict the V6's output to just 1080i in order for that box to output the resolution the box is receiving. You can select all the native formats the box is likely to encounter and if it receives a format you've selected then it will not then be scaled by the STB... The box will subsequently not scale content up, but will output it at whatever native resolution the box is receiving.

This just doesn't work for me. Not sure why. If I watch HD football with all the options ticked the lines on the pitch are aliased / jaggy from poor deinterlacing. 1080i only solves this. Shrug!

It isn't an issue with the box scaling the content then and is an issue with something else. THe box isn't scaling any native resolution that has that resolution selected in the options. If an option is selected then this indicates that you'd want the box to output that native resolution without scaling or to scale any resolution below that resoution up to that resolution if the resolution in question is not selected. If you were to for example deselect every option below 1080i then everything with a native resolution less than 1080i would be scaled up to 1080i. So if you've selected just the 1080i option then SD content is still being scaled up to 1080i by your STB.

Nothing is being deinterlaced by the box. You'd still be outputting 1080i.

Just tried to find the thread I was reading a couple of years back on this and realised it's mainly you :)

Not sure what causes my issues. I'll have another go later. Should I just tick it all to ensure pass through?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom