Sky wires from dish

Looney14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I have Sky HD and all cabling from outside is under flooring and chased into wall then out so can come into box

my installation was about 10 years ago.
im interested in sky Q BUT when seeing my friends cabling from dish, his twin wires are “thinner” as he had only installled recently

has the cabling requirement changed for sky Q?

cos I don’t want it if need new wires from the dish..

I know the F connectors are same so that’s good..

but if anybody could confirm re wire dish..

I had sky installed in 2009, then upgraded to q in 2017 - I have my wires going into the loft and through cabling I put in the house, so they didn't change it, and it works fine. Just a new LNB and new F connectors on the cables

Hi there

I have Sky HD and all cabling from outside is under flooring and chased into wall then out so can come into box

my installation was about 10 years ago.
im interested in sky Q BUT when seeing my friends cabling from dish, his twin wires are “thinner” as he had only installled recently

has the cabling requirement changed for sky Q?

cos I don’t want it if need new wires from the dish..

I know the F connectors are same so that’s good..

but if anybody could confirm re wire dish..

No the thinner wires are purely to make installation easier, You can get two through the same hole as the older thicker cable. Because of the thinner cable you get more losses on longer runs. Assuming your cabling is good condition restricting the dish to box location to about 10M, you should be able to use existing internal wiring. Good news you only need two of them to the Sky-Q box location.

The basic spec of the coax is identical, Double screened 75 ohm coax.

The installers will simply need to change the lnb on your dish and connect the two cables to the location where your Sky-HD box is located.

Great news! Glad I can use the same cable!

I’ll consider Sky Q on Black Friday - by far best time

Iv been hesitant as I use the rf2 on both my boxes to beam around the house. If I upgrade to sky Q I know I have to pay extra per box and I won’t be able to get my current set up back as they prob won’t give viewing card anymore but must get with the timea I guess

Great news! Glad I can use the same cable!

I’ll consider Sky Q on Black Friday - by far best time

Iv been hesitant as I use the rf2 on both my boxes to beam around the house. If I upgrade to sky Q I know I have to pay extra per box and I won’t be able to get my current set up back as they prob won’t give viewing card anymore but must get with the timea I guess

You can in fact use a similar system using a Sky-Q mini to use a existing coax system to emulate the same system. However the mini boxes give full-HD and stereo audio,

You can though connect a digital modulator to a Sky-Q box and use your existing coax system to use most TV's to get a HD signal the remote TV's can use. Provided they have either a DVB-T -HD tuner or Freeview-Hd tuner (most do)

Yes I’ve heard about that not all my tv have freeview hd sadly - but interestingly how much would that cost? Have U got a link ?
in fairness sky usually give 1 mini free and second is like £50 not that much tbf

Only annoying thing is bt sport is charged PER box which is a rip off right now co ax saves me!

Yes I’ve heard about that not all my tv have freeview hd sadly - but interestingly how much would that cost? Have U got a link ?
in fairness sky usually give 1 mini free and second is like £50 not that much tbf

Only annoying thing is bt sport is charged PER box which is a rip off right now co ax saves me!

Many older TV's have HD tuners that are not Freeview-HD capable as they only have DVB-T tuners, These will work with a digital modulator.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks! I think for that price better to just get the extra mini box tbf :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom