SkyQ’s latest firmware has broken the UHD stream

woppy101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it looks like skyQ’s latest firmware update has broken the UHD downloads and UHD live stream, yesterday I was watching IT in uhd and came across quite a bad flicker it almost looks like bad BFI so I downloaded the HD stream and it didn’t have any flicker at all nor does my UHD Blu-ray version. So I downloaded several other UHD movies and programs an they all have quite bad flicker I also checked a recorded premier league game I had which now has the flicker something I would have noticed when I watched the game previously. A number of other people on skys forum are also seeing flicker now on the UHD broadcasts.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Possible-problem-with-skyQ-box-or-with-UHD-movies/td-p/2853659/highlight/false/page/1

No way to revert back to previous firmware?

I noticed slight flickering on IT UHD download tonight, mainly noticeable on dark scenes. Think I have version 1 Sky Q (internal power) with latest firmware and I have an LG 55B6.

Just got off the phone with Sky and had a long conversation regarding the flicker issue since the last update. Apparently they are aware of it and are collecting information from all the callers who are reporting the problem and what equipment they have. I also had him mention in his report the posts regarding it from here and on the Sky Q forum. And how it seems to be affecting the V1 box and not the V2. So far. I have the V1 and have the flickering since the last update. (Q071....)
He said at the moment they are still collecting information regarding the issue and could not give me a timetable on when or if there will be a fix. No surprise there.. But at least he admitted there is a known issue.

I have booked an engineer visit for 28th, earliest I could get. Will show him the flickering and will also get him to install the V2 box to see if it is indeed an issue with the V1 box.
I advise anyone with the problem to call Sky and report it so they can gather more info and escalate it with a fix. Or if it is the V1 box that's causing the flicker, insist on them giving you a new V2 box pronto.
I will update here after the sky engineer has been..

Can't be doing with sitting here watching Sky UHD picture that has flicker like an old VHS Tape from the 80's...:facepalm:

Hopefully the more reports they get the sooner a software fix is forthcoming or a free new V2 box. If it is the V1 that are only affected..

Just had Sky engineer replace my V1 box with a V2 box and had the latest firmware installed (Q071) and the picture is now fine. No flickering/pulsing with UHD content.

The other thing I noticed too whilst watching the cricket is that with the V1 box the on screen graphics bar (with the score) would flutter occasionally and now it looks solid with no break up.. I also think the picture has less noise in it for both HD and UHD.

I am using the Sky Q box with an LG E6 oled.

That’s good news.
I was hoping a engineers visit wouldn’t be necessary, but perhaps it is.
I’m finding I forget the cricket is flickering after a while then it rears it’s ugly head again.
It’s bloody annoying, so i can’t put up with it for long.

I’ll test this weekend and see if I can see the flickering, really hoping it’s not there as I have no issues with my v1 box.

I’ve just posted the following on Sky’s forum. As it says, confirmation of what I think I see would be good. Thanks.

“I’ve discovered something else which may or may not help.

Watching the Terror on AMC it occurred to me that the typical noise in the picture was similar to what we are experiencing with UHD

MPEG noise reduction does nothing, but the one labelled just as noise reduction on the LG C7 toggled to high significantly reduces the flicker during IT. It’s not a solution by any means because of the probable loss of fine detail, but unless my eyes are deceiving me it’s possibly a temporary mitigation measure.

if someone could double check my findings it would be good, just in case I’m imagining it.”

In case anyone looks in who hasn’t found the Sky community thread, I got fed up with my fix above which was far from perfect anyway and with the lack of updates from Sky on their own forum. So I have had them replace the box with a V2. Problem solved as @google said. I’m pretty sure the picture quality is better all round too.
Since there is no sign at the moment of a fix coming through, anyone with the issue should get the box changed.

Funny enough we watched Annabelle creation in UHD last night and noticed the flicker. I remember there was exactly the same thread when they first started showing UHD, that there was flickering and they did solve it. Hopefully they’ll do the same. By the way, Atmos on Annabelle was fantastic. So atmospheric and scary. Brilliant sound design.

Just read in the sky forum that one customer got refused the V2 swap and the engineers have been told not to swap, the customers just have to sit and wait for a possible firmware fix. If that’s the case I would be hoping for a reduction in my bill for the fact I cannot bare to watch UHD movies in its current state.

If true it’s disgraceful, unless a firmware fix is hours away.....highly unlikely!!
It may have been just that one engineer being awkward, but if it had happened to me I would have been raising hell about it.
Good luck with yours. Let’s hope it was a one off.

How can I tell I'd I have a V1 or V2 box?

I’ve just noticed this problem and I have a V1 box.

What’s the best course of action, I don’t really want a new box as I have loads of recordings on there.

Just watched the final episode of Billions and the flicker was VERY evident.

Didn't use to do it so it has to be the latest firmware on the v1 boxes (as no issue with v2 reported).

Will wait it out a little while for a fix as this same thing happened before and was rectified.

An updated for those not following on Sky’s own forum.
There are now several people who have had V1 boxes replaced with V2 and it’s a 100% success rate.
There is still no information about a firmware fix, so it’s anybodys guess if they are working on one or not.

My engineer is due today, I spoke with him on the phone last night and explained the situation and confirmed he has V2 box on his van so fingers crossed.

All the best.
If you need to demonstrate, Billions season 3 ep 4 at 1 minute in is one of the worst examples I saw for flicker. The grey walls look awful.

V1 box replaced with V2 no quibble and so far so good with the fix

Got my visit tomorrow. Hope it get the swap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom