SkyQ . Told not to use wired internet connection only wifi

supermac100

Ex Member
Reaction score
Had an 8am install yesterday so was not paying 100% attention. They strongly advised against a wired connection. Possible mentioned IP address problems. Are they right?

Nope.. try downloading a 4k movie over WiFi.... i have mine wired all the time.

Same here,wired connection all day long! Have virgin media's upto 350 meg package and i actually get near 390 meg.

Had an 8am install yesterday so was not paying 100% attention. They strongly advised against a wired connection. Possible mentioned IP address problems. Are they right?
Cobblers.

Had mine with cable to the router for more than 5 years. As said above, no issues. And I turned off wi-fi on the main box.

Nonsense, I have main box and mini wired and have zero issues, have another one that is wired and every so often I have to re-pair using wps button.

Wired is always better

Do you have an LG tv and or Virgin broadband like me. These were the concerns of the installers. I have noticed bad or slow connections with the Sky box using the ethernet connection whilst the one via the TV was 100%.

Why don’t you heed the advice given and see how you get on. Why wouldn’t they be right?

Had Sky Q installed this morning, installer plugged the network cable straight in without mentioning wireless.

My understanding is that the main box can quite reliably be connected to your network via ethernet, but the mini boxes should only be connected (to the main box) via the mesh network (i.e. not connected to your network via WiFi, nor via ethernet)

I have my main box connected by wifi. I don't download many films, but download F1 UltraHD a lot. Don't seem to have any problems, I've noticed?

Wired is always gonna be a more reliable connection than wireless...however, I do take your point that, in the main, a wireless connection won't cause issues. The main focus of my post was the mini boxes

My understanding is that the main box can quite reliably be connected to your network via ethernet, but the mini boxes should only be connected (to the main box) via the mesh network (i.e. not connected to your network via WiFi, nor via ethernet)
All my boxes, main and three minis are connected to my home wired Ethernet.

All my boxes, main and three minis are connected to my home wired Ethernet.
Same here - main and one mini - both connected to my router by wired Ethernet. Had one or two initial problems (mini box losing network) - but once i switched off wireless on both boxes, its been working flawlessly. On BT Internet, using an Asus router - the 2 boxes appear on the IP address list on the router like any other device.

Last edited:
By going the wired route does this stop sound dropouts when watch movies in UHD ?

I have never experienced the drop outs. Then again I do not watch many UHD movies on Sky. I cannot see the connection between wired and possible sound drop outs.

Thanks . Appreciate that info.

Sky boxes use a customised Linux and that has no problems with wired connections.

Sky boxes use a customised Linux and that has no problems with wired connections.
Don’t want to sound thick. But could you please educate me on this subject.

Don’t want to sound thick. But could you please educate me on this subject.
Linux is the operating system the box uses. It's an open source operating system.

Windows is an example of an end user operating system, basically it is between the hardware and applications.
Many products including TVs, set stop boxes phones (Android ans iOS mostly) and a lot of commercial products use this approach.
It means applications can change without having to retest everything, the applications are a lot smaller than the operating system these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom