SkyQ . Told not to use wired internet connection only wifi

No. Just setup main q as an Ethernet connection and hey presto
Yeah the Q box will use ethernet to the router if it's there (you have to tell it to in the network setup, after all), but the minis will continue to use wifi if they can, even if they have a cable plugged in and need to have wifi disabled to force them to co-operate. It's ridiculous really.

Wired networking and wireless networking are simply the physical layer and to the upper parts of a system they look the same.
Wired network is much simpler because networks are not aware of each other but wireless networks have to be aware of overlapping wireless which makes life more difficult.
Plus Linux is older than Windows, much better established. Even Android runs on it with it's own upper layers.
I should know, I test Android and Linux based products.
Recently we had an issue with a wireless mesh setup and think we have it fixed but there are too many variations in conditions to be absolutely certain.
Ethernet (the wired connection) is plug and go.
Naturally a Sky installer is under pressure to get things done and customers don't want cables.
You may test Linux and Android but you certainly don’t know much about computer history. Linux first released in 1991 Windows 1.0 first released in 1985. Now if you are talking about operating systems like minix or unix then fair enough but Linux is just a subset of the unix world and a relative newcomer at that.
Wired networks are definitely simpler and generally more reliable than wireless for lots of reasons.

OK, so I should have said Unix.

Well. Sort of. The sky platform is Linux, not unix though. But they have a lot in common and unix was certainly a lot earlier than windows.

I know, I tested STBs including the first Sky HD box (working at Broadcom who makes the main chips used in 2005).

My Q box is wifi never had a problem apart from stupidly slow downloads, i am on Virgin with 108 download, my phone downloaded 1.9gb over wifi in less than 2 mins, the Q take 4 hours to download a 3gb film

My friend has his hardwired and it took the same time, i think the modem in the Q boxes is terrible, either that or Sky throttle it back on purpose.

I have had problems with Azure Devops and Cloudflare in the past two weeks, there is just too much broadband traffic now.
Because of people like me working at home.

My Q box is wifi never had a problem apart from stupidly slow downloads, i am on Virgin with 108 download, my phone downloaded 1.9gb over wifi in less than 2 mins, the Q take 4 hours to download a 3gb film

My friend has his hardwired and it took the same time, i think the modem in the Q boxes is terrible, either that or Sky throttle it back on purpose.
There's no modem in the Q box, so it can't be terrible.

Sky do have speed limits on their CDN, but they're fairly high (believe just below the upper limits of FTTC - 80 Mbit/s). The boxes apparently start a download, measure the throughput in the first few seconds, then throttle it back to slightly below that, so downloads don't overload slower connections.

There is no point in them downloading faster than you can watch, so they might as well max out at about 15Mb for UHD, to manage costs.

Always had my main box wired and had three minis wireless - started dragging on the wifi and never ending drop outs so switched one to wired via the Sky Hub (turning off wifi) and it made a huge difference - the wired mini more reliable than ever and also fewer drop outs on the two minis on Wi-Fi.

I'm wired up and no problems with mini box at all now. I was getting connection issues a lot of the time on wifi

Wi-Fi was a nightmare and for some reason mini boxes were unstable. Since having main box wired a couple of years ago, everything rock solid.

Overlapping Wi-Fi networks in nearby dwellings can cause a lot of trouble.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom