Slow & Pressure Cooker users thread.

My one put is arriving today so will be seeking an easy but tasty recipe for dinner tonight!

Cheating but quick and easy and delicious

Chicken thighs
Colmans or schwartz chicken chasseur sachet (about 50p)
Potatoes
Carrots
Onion

No pressure cookers unfortunately but I did get a nice 4 slice toaster. It's brand new with no faulty stickers on the box and going by lunchtime, seems to work fine. I also took a stainless steel hand blender but when I got it home it was damaged so will be going back to the tip.
There's loads left we didn't go through so hope to get a matching kettle and waffle maker next week :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pressure King Pro ? There are a few going second hand in my area. Can get the 12-1, 5 litre for about £35, hardly used.
I use our slow cooker all year round and am impressed by what the PKP claims to do and the reviews seem generally decent. Given I'll definitely use it a lot, it seems worth a punt at that price.

We have that model. She says it bollocks water everywhere. I suspect pilot error and so I have just set it away on the soup preset. Let you know in 30 mins.

Looks like a budget Instant Pot. Certainly worth a try at that price, especially as you can get replacement inner pots for them if the non-stick isn't up to much. I await hyperfish's update :)

Tried it a few times and it works as intended as far as I can tell.

The tricky part is releasing the steam. If I switch the float valve as per instructions to the release setting, then yeah steam and water spray out. Leaving it 10mins after the cook doesn't help as the pressure is still there and would the cooking also continue beyond any recipe? The best solution is to press lightly on the float valve lever which reduces the steam slowly, then open the valve fully after a minute or so.

The PK was given to my wife. She's only tried it twice because of this. I'll help out next time. Turns out that it's only the 2.5l capacity. It's 10"x10" externally with a small internal copper coloured pot, the 5l version must be really big.

The tricky part is releasing the steam. If I switch the float valve as per instructions to the release setting, then yeah steam and water spray out.
That will happen with any of them. Just leave it a bit longer.

Debuted mine today and impressed so far.

Did a few ribs, dry rub then 30.mins on high. Meat was falling off the bone, put some bbq sauce on and finished under the grill so all done in under 44 mins.

For dinner tried a recipe online for beef ragu, cook time 30 mins so maybe an hour including prep. Very impressed lovely sauce and beef shredded easily.

In the week will try a casserole and whole chicken maybe.

My mum had a Prestige stove top cooker when I was a kid. She would run it under the cold tap before removing the weighted valve, but you can't do that with these.

My childhood memories of a pressure cooker were similar, and the odd time the valve shot off.

Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a shot for the money. Amazon reviews seem pretty good, with the odd dodgy unit. But I guess 2nd hand will have probably been tested to some extent.

Given we both work long hours and use the slow cooker a lot I can see us really making use if it.

Did quick casserole in the instant por last night, just a packet mix with small pack of beef, onion, carrot and mushrooms. 35 minutes and all done, was tasty though obviously would have been nicer from scratch. Had a lot of sauce left though, I guess you cant really reduce it under pressure so ended up throwing it on a pan on the hob for 15 minutes.

Did quick casserole in the instant por last night, just a packet mix with small pack of beef, onion, carrot and mushrooms. 35 minutes and all done, was tasty though obviously would have been nicer from scratch. Had a lot of sauce left though, I guess you cant really reduce it under pressure so ended up throwing it on a pan on the hob for 15 minutes.

I was under the impression you could simmer to reduce in these pressure cookers, using the same pot you pressure cooked in

You certainly can, either on the low saute or the high slow cook, in the case of the Instant Pot. Yours will no doubt have similar settings.

You certainly can, either on the low saute or the high slow cook, in the case of the Instant Pot. Yours will no doubt have similar settings.

I'd guess, given the fact you need the liquid for steam, most stews etc will end up with quite a lot of liquid. With my slow cooker I tend to add a little dissolved cornflour close the the end of the cooking time to thicken as needed. Do you find you do the same in the IP, IG ?

Yes or some (shudder) gravy granules :)

Good thing with the ip is the sauté function I pour all liquid out, make a quick roux with butter and flour then add liquid back works great if I’m letting a joint or a chicken rest.

I did use saute but as in a bit of a rush couldnt wait that long and if I had it too high looked like the pan would burn - in regard to high slow cook would this be with the steam release on rather than locked?

Vented? yes... But you can set up the high heat slow cook without the lid on at all which would be better for reducing. Or pull the whole insert out and pop it on the stove if you want more fine control (so long as you don't go induction ;))

OH Text me today asking how the IP went back together (stripped as usual for cleaning) which sent alarm bells ringing for me.
A few hours later I got another text explaining all done and sweet and sour cooked o_O

Got home tonight and tested and she only did bloody good and made a really tasty weight watchers meal in the IP and did so without destroying it.

IMG_20190117_124054.jpg

Latest instant pot effort, jasmine chicken rice. Quick, easy and very tasty will be using this one again.

Tried pulled pork this morning and combined two recipes and added or took out what I liked.

20190127_095534.jpg

Came out really well @ 45 minutes at high pressure and 15 minutes natural pressure release and then vent quickly.

Had some bread (weekend treat only) and added pulled pork to it with sweet chilli dressing, home made pickled egg and onions with a peppery salad.

20190127_110545.jpg

Will be making again and perhaps adding a bourbon to it next time.

So the Instant Pot is the one to go for? Rather have the steel inner pot than non-stick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom