Smart Lock compatability with door

hughesie27

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Smart Lock for the front door but a lot of the ones online talk about dead bolts and various other types of lock. So I'm not sure which ones would be suitable for my door mechanism. I have a fairly common style PVC door which uses a combination of rectangular bolts and hook style levers. I'm just wondering what Smart Locks, if any, are available to me. Photos attached to show the locking system.

Attachments

• 20200818_073241.jpg
    20200818_073241.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200818_073210.jpg
    20200818_073210.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 152
Doing a bit more research it seems like I've the Euro Cylinder style Lock.

I knnw the Yale Conexis L1 would suit this style but it gets horrible review.
Are there any decent alternatives in the UK?

The Ultion smart lock is about the best I've found. From the outside it looks like a normal lock and handle with a quality Ultion cylinder, the smart part is on the inside and you retain key operation as a backup.

With most UK multipoint doors the issue for smart locks is that the handle often needs raising to engage the multipoint catches before locking, without that bring done you won't be able to lock the door.

Personally I'm not convinced yet, at least for doors like ours. I was hoping to go for a smart lock myself but chose against it, quality, keyed alike locks means a single key, it's not smart but more convenient than the previous 4 keys I had.

The Ultion smart lock is about the best I've found. From the outside it looks like a normal lock and handle with a quality Ultion cylinder, the smart part is on the inside and you retain key operation as a backup.

With most UK multipoint doors the issue for smart locks is that the handle often needs raising to engage the multipoint catches before locking, without that bring done you won't be able to lock the door.

Personally I'm not convinced yet, at least for doors like ours. I was hoping to go for a smart lock myself but chose against it, quality, keyed alike locks means a single key, it's not smart but more convenient than the previous 4 keys I had.
Yeah We do seem limited in the UK with our options. Does the Ultion work on locks that require the handle to be lifted ,as mine does?
Our door is fairly old and a bit fiddly to shut right so we may just need to go for a new door anyway.

Yes the Ultion works but you still need to raise the handle yourself.

In an ideal world there would be a company making a smart multipoint gearbox so the multipoint part could be automated too.i won't hold my breath for that though.

x2 for Ultion.

Drop them a message on Instagram, they’re really reactive.

x2 for Ultion.

Drop them a message on Instagram, they’re really reactive.
Cheers man but if I'm having to loft my handle every time I want to lock or potentially unlock my door it's not gonna be worth it for me.

Don’t waste money on a Ultion smart lock. I had one, it was absolutely terrible.

Everything. The auto unlock never worked, so you had to get your phone out to try to open the door using the app. Half the time the app wouldn’t open the door either.
The WiFi add on to control the door never worked at all.
The tracking part off the app to see who or when the door had been opened or locked never worked.
Non of it worked as it should and I never trusted it to do anything so sold it on EBay in the end

We have the Ultion smart lock. The smart bit has two versions - regular, with bluetooth, alexa, etc and the Apple homekit version.

We have the escutcheon model so no handle inside or out.

The main draw for me was that you have the physical key backup.

We've got the Apple version and it has less functionality (no alexa, key sharing or proximity opening) but on balance it does what we need it to do. i.e. le us in the door without having to bother with keys.

You can do automations in homekit (like Hue lights on on unlock, etc). You can use siri from your Apple watch to unlock the door too.

It works absolutley fine. No issues whatsoever with the smart bit (the catches on our new door are a bit sticky so that sometimes prevents it from being unlocked but that's got nothing to do with the smart stuff).

The problem is that many of the Smart locks on the market are developed for US doors where they tend to use deadbolts rather than multi point mechanisms. Hence most smart lock development is based around winding in or out a simple deadbolt of night latch which in comparison to most multi point mechanisms used in European properties is a doddle.

With regards to thise who own the Yale or Ultion can I just clarify how it works in principle alongside our Euro multipoint locks.

I've seen above that in order for it to lock you need to lift the handle, presumably the auto unlock feature still works fine and the centre deadbolt part unlocks electronically. Whilst the top and bottom hooks/levers disengage when the handle is pulled down manually to open the door?

It essentially motorises the key, that's it. The rest of your door works the same way it does now, so the multipoint catches operate with the handle as they do now.

I have the Yale conexis L1 on my front door had it roughly 9-10 months and i can honestly say ive had zero problems with it.

All my family members have a fob for the door and everyone as commented how easy it is to use etc.

I also was alarmed with the reviews before making the purchase but just follow the instructions when installing it, take your time make sure you understand each step and its pretty straight forward.

We don't have a regular handle on our front door - it just has something to pull on both sides. I believe this is called escutcheon. It's a Euro multipoint door - just no handle to have to pull up - brand new in the last few weeks.

This means that the Ultion can be set to pull all the catches back so you just push the door open (you have to tell it to do this).

Thinking about getting a Smart Lock for the front door but a lot of the ones online talk about dead bolts and various other types of lock. So I'm not sure which ones would be suitable for my door mechanism. I have a fairly common style PVC door which uses a combination of rectangular bolts and hook style levers. I'm just wondering what Smart Locks, if any, are available to me. Photos attached to show the locking system.

I’ve posted previously on a similar thread here that I’m using the Avia smart lock since launch and it’s been extremely reliable. My specific use case centred on a Homekit-based household where my door has a similar UK multipoint locking mechanism. So there are a few options available for your door based on what I and others have posted here, but which would also be dependent on your own specific needs.

I’ve posted previously on a similar thread here that I’m using the Avia smart lock since launch and it’s been extremely reliable. My specific use case centred on a Homekit-based household where my door has a similar UK multipoint locking mechanism. So there are a few options available for your door based on what I and others have posted here, but which would also be dependent on your own specific needs.

Hadnt heard of the Aviva, is it as big as it looks? Are you able to post a couple of pics of a real world install?

Hadnt heard of the Aviva, is it as big as it looks? Are you able to post a couple of pics of a real world install?
It looks big on the inside side of the door but doesn’t seem overly so once installed. They have their own install video available that would probably be more use to you than me posting random pics - it’s what I watched prior to purchase and also to support my install:

Happy to post some pics though if you still need them.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom