Smart Outdoor Lights

hgd777

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Hue outdoor light system, however quite a bit of a hefty price tag considering the bulb itself costs more than the fixture. Does anyone have any recommendations for a smart outdoor light that can be powered to the mains?

Looking at the Hue outdoor light system, however quite a bit of a hefty price tag considering the bulb itself costs more than the fixture. Does anyone have any recommendations for a smart outdoor light that can be powered to the mains?

If basic on off, then a Smart plug at the end and IFTTT for things like dusk - dawn etc

Plug is not a option tbh. I have the wiring already set up outside so just want something to wire in and control via phone/Alexa. The Hue system seem quite expensive when you also have to purchase a hub bridge.

Plug is not a option tbh. I have the wiring already set up outside so just want something to wire in and control via phone/Alexa. The Hue system seem quite expensive when you also have to purchase a hub bridge.

You could go along with something like the Sonos Smart switch in an ip66 rated box.

Shelly1 in a IP67 rated junction box. Providing you have good wifi coverage outside.

Hue *IS* expensive but is
  1. Trivial to get working and is literally plug and play
  2. Compatible with and controllable by absolutely everything
  3. Reliable
Anything else you go with will be cheaper but unless you've done it before, have plenty of free time on your hands and have experience I guarantee you will kick yourself for not going Hue. Homebrew is always financially cheaper but it is very costly in time and sometimes doesn't offer good reliability or interoperability.

That said many people have built their own totally homebrew lighting systems and they work great at a cheap price but if it's your first one and you're not hugely technical with plenty of time on your hands don't underestimate how long it is going to take you.

G

One question for you is what do you expect of this, the answer many make it easier to recommend products

Yes, i think the question is what you want from the smart light: do you want lights with motion activation? Scheduled activation? Remote control from smartphone? Metering to check power consumption?
I know about Everspring they have lighting products like floodlights, decorative lights, spotlights.... then you can use any z-wave switch to control the lights activation. Maybe you can take a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom