Smart TV vs Streaming Stick Picture Quality

avtronics

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony Bravia XG90 which is based on the Android Smart TV platform (updated to the latest firmware Android 8 Oreo). Plugged in to the Sony is an Amazon Firestick 4K. My question is related around which is the best option to get the best possible picture quality. Would using the built in apps on the Sony deliver better picture quality compared to the apps on the Firestick? I mainly use Netflix, Prime, YouTube and YouView.

My understanding is that the built in apps would deliver better picture quality as there's one less piece of equipment in the chain so less chance of the signal being degraded. This also means that the upscaling is done by the Sony rather than the Firestick with the Sony likely to have the better upscaling and video processing. I can't think of any other reason to use the Firestick other than its remote which I find better than the Sony remote. However I'm not sure which is best for Dolby Vision content, from what I have read Sony's implementation isn't the best and I'm not sure how this stacks up against Dolby Vision on the Firestick.

If you have both then can you not discern which gives the better image for you?
Which do you prefer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom