So, Heathrow........

Whilst they may have greater compacity , moving flights to make said airport in said country a delta hub would require more flights in and out. Would it not still fall foul of that countries commitment to the PCA, open to a legal challenge like Heathrow ?
Opposition groups have cleverly used the PCA to challenge the expansion plans. I’m sure there will be many other challenges from residents, wildlife groups, noise abatement societies, vehicle pollution activists, and heritage groups. Anything to stop new building.

Amsterdam can increase its capacity slowly without building new airstrips. It is already called Britain’s second hub airport as it links many airports north of London to international flights. There might be challenges but as they don’t have to build new runways, it won’t attract the same feeling of opposition.

Opposition groups have cleverly used the PCA to challenge the expansion plans. I’m sure there will be many other challenges from residents, wildlife groups, noise abatement societies, vehicle pollution activists, and heritage groups. Anything to stop new building.

Amsterdam can increase its capacity slowly without building new airstrips. It is already called Britain’s second hub airport as it links many airports north of London to international flights. There might be challenges but as they don’t have to build new runways, it won’t attract the same feeling of opposition.

Increasing capacity increases a countries carbon footprint does it not , open to a legal challenge on countries commitmen

Opposition groups are only using goverments commitment to the PCA and goverments own reduction of zero emmisions for UK when building projects are at odds with that commitment.

I do not have a problem with that as it forces all from goverment down to rethink and evaluate future projects to be inline with our commitments to the PCA and our own reductions .

Our present goverment is fully signed up to the PCA and we have our own commitments to the UK carbon footprint .

For all , please remember that our govement is fully signed up to the PCA and our goverment is commited to its own reduction of zero emmisions I believe .

As such to blame the green tree huggers or anyone else on Heatrow runway build is a wee,bit suspect to say the least .

Tory mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey also against the expansion and happy with the ruling, on this morning's local politics show ...

it's dead, time to move on, finally quality of life wins the argument

I'm devastated to be honest, I would have paid PPV money to see Johnson get run over by a bulldozer.

Guess now he's got a kid coming it's the perfect excuse to back out of all these commitments.

If we're gonna meet our emission targets other smaller airports are going to have to close to compensate for the increase in traffic at Heathrow.

So once again a big "hurrah" to London, and a "fudge you" to everywhere else.

Thank goodness though our honourable PM is going to lie in front of the bulldozers.

It still ain't gonna happen
Not yet.
Not whilst T3 and T4 are closed and T2 and T5 are nowhere near capacity.
But if things return to normal.......

But if things return to normal.......
Hopefully a new normal. Far too much unnecessary business travel. I say that from my own experience wastefully flying all the time for a few years. The environmental, financial and mental health benefits (aiding performance and productivity) will be immense.

Hopefully a new normal. Far too much unnecessary business travel. I say that from my own experience wastefully flying all the time for a few years. The environmental, financial and mental health benefits (aiding performance and productivity) will be immense.
I think people will start out with the best intentions, but we'll gradually see a return to old habits. Couple into that (as best I understand) British Airways and Virgin have consolidated their operations into Heathrow.

If we're gonna meet our emission targets other smaller airports are going to have to close to compensate for the increase in traffic at Heathrow.

So once again a big "hurrah" to London, and a "fudge you" to everywhere else.

Thank goodness though our honourable PM is going to lie in front of the bulldozers.
Which airports are going to have to close and who will force that closure?

Which airports are going to have to close and who will force that closure?

It was just a discussion yesterday surrounding the climate and agreements. There's no way we can meet our targets if we open another runway. So there'd need to be offsets, and closing smaller airports is supposedly something the government are already considering.

It was just a discussion yesterday surrounding the climate and agreements. There's no way we can meet our targets if we open another runway. So there'd need to be offsets, and closing smaller airports is supposedly something the government are already considering.
There are ways of reducing emissions, such as banning apu burn and flying less polluting aircraft such as 787 or A350, ensuring gs equipment meets tougher emissions standards, ensuring buildings use less energy and produce less waste, etc

There are ways of reducing emissions, such as banning apu burn and flying less polluting aircraft such as 787 or A350, ensuring gs equipment meets tougher emissions standards, ensuring buildings use less energy and produce less waste, etc

Of course, but do you really think all that will happen? Much easier to close some smaller airports and reduce flight numbers that way.

We'll have to wait and see, but I should think the fear for some airports and flight routes is already there.

Of course, but do you really think all that will happen? Much easier to close some smaller airports and reduce flight numbers that way.

We'll have to wait and see, but I should think the fear for some airports and flight routes is already there.
It already is happening, although will take time to fully implement.

As for fear for flights and small airports, covid is far more damaging.

It already is happening, although will take time to fully implement.

As for fear for flights and small airports, covid is far more damaging.

Certainly but we're talking about a lot of time.

Totally agree about the covid, and that could unfortunately (and unwittingly) actually provide the long term solution here.

Either way, if we're serious about meeting our climate commitments it's not going to happen with an extra runway at one of the world's busiest (or busiest?) airports.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom