So, Heathrow........

But now that idea has been canned, we will end up with another hotchpotch at Heathrow.
The plan is anything but hotch potch. The idea is to toast rack the area, so in time T3 will go. These satellite buildings will be interconnected. Many of the tunnels are already part built.

"The M25 will run in a tunnel under the runway"
Are they serious?

I'm just trying to imagine how much disruption that will cause, or how much it will cost to do it while keeping the M25 open.
It is what Schiphol in Amsterdam does...Actually not one motorway tunnel, but for its third runway there is a second motorway tunnel :)

First one 16 lanes wide, second 6 lanes wide if I am not mistaken.

Perhaps they just need to get some foreign help in for a project like that :D:thumbsup:

It is what Schiphol in Amsterdam does...Actually not one motorway tunnel, but for its third runway there is a second motorway tunnel :)

First one 16 lanes wide, second 6 lanes wide if I am not mistaken.

Perhaps they just need to get some foreign help in for a project like that :D:thumbsup:

I think you'll find the Tories have sold most of the main assets to overseas owners anyway. Best speak to whichever foreign government owns Heathrow/BAA/whatever it's called now. :D:thumbsup:

I think you'll find the Tories have sold most of the main assets to overseas owners anyway. Best speak to whichever foreign government owns Heathrow/BAA/whatever it's called now. :D:thumbsup:
I wasn't talking about who owns the assets, I was talking about who gets the work done ;)

At least they didn't sell a hospital ;)

I wasn't talking about who owns the assets, I was talking about who gets the work done ;)

At least they didn't sell a hospital ;)

I know, but to get the work done you talk to the owners, who might be from the same overseas country.

Who owns this sort of stuff in The Netherlands (railways, buses, airports, power stations, etc)?

I know, but to get the work done you talk to the owners, who might be from the same overseas country.

Who owns this sort of stuff in The Netherlands (railways, buses, airports, power stations, etc)?
The owners won't be doing the work themselves....

Anyway there is no need to shy away from any kind of work, Heathrow/London/UK has a need for it...The sad thing is that it hasn't been done yet.

The owners won't be doing the work themselves....

Anyway there is no need to shy away from any kind of work, Heathrow/London/UK has a need for it...The sad thing is that it hasn't been done yet.

I know. Why are you telling me stuff I know? Tell me something I don't know, like who owns major infrastructure in The Netherlands? :)

I agree London needs something. But I'd rather it was a second runway at Gatwick and a second runway at Luton or Stanstead. Even though the Gatwick one would affect me far more than Heathrow's third runway.

I know. Why are you telling me stuff I know? Tell me something I don't know, like who owns major infrastructure in The Netherlands? :)

I agree London needs something. But I'd rather it was a second runway at Gatwick and a second runway at Luton or Stanstead. Even though the Gatwick one would affect me far more than Heathrow's third runway.
if we don't compete with Europe's other hub airports, then we loose. None of the other London airport's, even extended as you describe, will compete either.

It’s irrelevant. We are talking about the UK and Heathrow.

All airports require expansion, but Heathrow most of all. I wouldn’t want to transfer to another London airport which could take many hours, longer than many of the onwards flights.

It’s irrelevant. We are talking about the UK and Heathrow.

All airports require expansion, but Heathrow most of all. I wouldn’t want to transfer to another London airport which could take many hours, longer than many of the onwards flights.

I'm wouldn't be surprised if when you move back to the Netherlands soon, your Heathrow loving days will be over. Schipol is far nicer.

You agree with @phil t that we are talking about Heathrow expanding to compete with other European airports, the main rival being Schipol. So I wonder who owns it? Or Frankfurt? Or CdG in Paris?

I'm wouldn't be surprised if when you move back to the Netherlands soon, your Heathrow loving days will be over. Schipol is far nicer.

You agree with @phil t that we are talking about Heathrow expanding to compete with other European airports, the main rival being Schipol. So I wonder who owns it? Or Frankfurt? Or CdG in Paris?

It appears to be 92% Government owner;

Schiphol Group - Wikipedia

It appears to be 92% Government owner;

Schiphol Group - Wikipedia

I wonder if that makes it easier for them to do similar infrastructure projects? I can't imagine other EU countries prevaricating and wringing their hands for 20+ years over a simple terminal building and an extra runway.

Because the owners won’t do the work.

I don't get your response.
The owners aren’t the builders, the owners won’t do the construction work, the owners can stamp their feet and the work still won’t get done any faster. The ownership is irrelevant.

The owners aren’t the builders, the owners won’t do the construction work, the owners can stamp their feet and the work still won’t get done any faster. The ownership is irrelevant.

In the context of the post I made, your response in and of itself made no sense.

As for the clarification above, it doesn't make things much clearer. However, taking it as a standalone statement, I disagree. If we had a situation where the Government owned the airport and the land upon which it wanted to build the expansion, with all else being equal, the planning process would be far less onerous and the project would be finished quicker. In that respect (and again, with all else being equal) it's not far removed to me wanting to build an extension on my house. If I own the land where I'm extending I can get through planning far quicker than if I have to negotiate with the land-owner to buy the land, etc.

Saw the plans on the Beeb the other day.

Not even starting to dig until 2022:eek:

£15-£25 Billion (for a runway!) :eek:

Complete by 2026 (i think) with a lot more of the other work (new Terminals etc) not done until 2050:eek:. Hell half of us here may well be dead by then:D

Times will have moved on (again) by then. They'll probably be asking for a 4th runway before the 3rd is finished!

The shortsightedness in this country is astounding.

Time to do the sensible thing and bring back the Boris Island project.

Get the airport away from the city with fast links (10-15 mins for 10-20 miles) into the city.

Saw the plans on the Beeb the other day.

Not even starting to dig until 2022:eek:

£15-£25 Billion (for a runway!) :eek:

Complete by 2026 (i think) with a lot more of the other work (new Terminals etc) not done until 2050:eek:. Hell half of us here may well be dead by then:D

Times will have moved on (again) by then. They'll probably be asking for a 4th runway before the 3rd is finished!

The shortsightedness in this country is astounding.

Get the airport away from the city with fast links (10-15 mins for 10-20 miles) into the city.
Exactly. It takes too long and is way too expensive. It is silly when you compare it to how these kind of projects are done in other countries.

In the context of the post I made, your response in and of itself made no sense.

As for the clarification above, it doesn't make things much clearer. However, taking it as a standalone statement, I disagree. If we had a situation where the Government owned the airport and the land upon which it wanted to build the expansion, with all else being equal, the planning process would be far less onerous and the project would be finished quicker. In that respect (and again, with all else being equal) it's not far removed to me wanting to build an extension on my house. If I own the land where I'm extending I can get through planning far quicker than if I have to negotiate with the land-owner to buy the land, etc.
I would kindly suggest that you look back at my entry point into this thread. I replied to Irongiant and you then quoted my response. My response is absolutely fine in the context.

Just like the pointless HS2. Both need scrapping.
There are far better options for additional runway capacity in the UK than Heathrow.

Just like the pointless HS2. Both need scrapping.
There are far better options for additional runway capacity in the UK than Heathrow.

Not if you are an airline - the fact is that LHR is the place that most want to fly from.

Exactly who would run and maintain Boris Island?

Some of the skill sets don't just grow on trees.
If all (even the majority) of workers came from LHR, then the local economy would struggle.
Don't underestimate the number of direct and indirect workers tied to LHR.

You do know you can get from LHR to the city in just 15 min?

Not if you are an airline - the fact is that LHR is the place that most want to fly from.
Or a traveller looking for a one stop hub airport.
Fragment that one stop by making people transfer airports, then travellers will soon seek out alternate routes.

Exactly who would run and maintain Boris Island?

Some of the skill sets don't just grow on trees.
If all (even the majority) of workers came from LHR, then the local economy would struggle.
Don't underestimate the number of direct and indirect workers tied to LHR.

You do know you can get from LHR to the city in just 15 min?

How can you get from the City of London to Heathrow in 15 mins?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom