Social Distancing, Music and You; A Concert for One - article discussion

My most of us make do with one turntable.:laugh: Is you cat musically inclined? I know mine is, as is the dog. Stick a bit of vinyl on and they both appear out of the woodwork.
in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​
unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​

Last edited:
Nice article Ed.

While we try to limit tv time with the kids (both under 6), the beauty of music is it can be on for many hours.

Music is very personal, it has lifted my spirits in darker times, improved my fitness by being the best personal trainer and motivator, allowed me to feel emotions film just can’t offer and those films that get close tend to have a fantastic score.

I don’t know if it’s an age / time if life thing, I’ve always had music but find myself listening to more and delving to the back catalogue of life.

Is you cat musically inclined?

Jim, the cat in shot, is very much a creature of habit. He will sit on the arm of the sofa from me commencing work (any time between 7:45 and 10 depending on schedule) until about lunch, when he goes outside before going to bed. In the afternoon and evening, I am more likely to be joined by his mother who will either sit on the headrest of the sofa behind me or do this- often for an hour or more at a time;

1587235688768.png

Jim, the cat in shot, is very much a creature of habit. He will sit on the arm of the sofa from me commencing work (any time between 7:45 and 10 depending on schedule) until about lunch, when he goes outside before going to bed. In the afternoon and evening, I am more likely to be joined by his mother who will either sit on the headrest of the sofa behind me or do this- often for an hour or more at a time;

View attachment 1284317
Hi Ed,

Only a cat can lay like that on the floor and be taken seriously.

In terms of music your choice of Talk Talk the Colour of spring, is a really good one as it is a superbly recorded album on top of it being a master piece.

I am listening to albums that I remember being well recorded, Toto 4, AWVFTS the undivided five and Joni Mitchell Wild things run fast and indeed they are. Those three have entertained me today and as you pointed out, good bad or ugly, if the music makes you move it must be good.

Happy listening (much better than watching the news!!!)

View attachment 1284317
I had not really taken much notice until now in the inordinate amount of time both the cat and the dog spend snoozing. A lovely life if they have good owners.

Crumpets for breakfast very posh. I have a couple of kippers ready which will have to be shared with above mentioned cat and dog. If I am lucky I might get to eat half of one. Today I have decided will be spent, as it is sunny but windy, indoors testing two AT cartridges. I have bought a VM93E and a VM95EN. Will be interesting to see if my old ears can discern any real difference, time will tell.

Life is great! I've no wife or kids to distract me. And I'm furloughed for 12 weeks.
That equals music, tv and film heaven! Housework? No time as too busy engulfing myself in media. :clap:

Don't disturb a sleeping cat, if they don't get in all of their little sleeps in they will not be ready for their big sleep of the day.

I'm working from home. I'm a little envious of those furloughed as I can't binge watch anything or make use of my man-cave until I knock-off.

On the plus side, I can sit down and have a proper poo. Not like the 'squat & drops' I have to do at work :)

My simple humble set up. Sounds good to me.

Tidal HIFI Masters from iPadPro >>> Audioquest Cobalt >>> Focal Clear Headphones.

There are times when things can sound poor, you have to be in the mood, and your Music needs to fit into place for that mood. Nirvana is what we strive for, musically, that buzz when all falls into place and you hear all. Something. I need to break that habit by being in the right frame of mind, relaxed and no distractions. Something that when it does happen, it makes you realised why you are so hooked.

Led Zepplin - In My Dying Time is a track that got me thinking. Bonham intentionally takes Page's guitar rift as the lead playing offbeat and leaving it to the rest of the band to keep time, all of it coming back together after a few bars to show that they are all in perfect sync with each other. It all falls neatly into place, rather than it being a wall of mush.

With the extra time on my hands, I am listening to music and doing exactly just that, no distractions including an iPad or telly, it is Lush.
20200320_171651_1_.jpg

Is that a pair of PMC speakers I spy there Ed? Are they yours or on review?

Hi Ed,
a nicely written piece with an important message.
No need to fork out wads as long as you can connect with what you got.
God I wish you'd told me that 18 months ago !! :) :)
Gregory

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom