Solo: A Star Wars Story (Spoiler-free) Review & Comments

You're really on one today, aren't you. Interesting that you are doing exactly what you are criticising me for: taking someone's remarks and going to town (in your case, with added personal attacks).

You don't appear to understand the difference between opinion and assertion, but that's fine. The mods will be stepping in shortly, so I think I'll leave it there.

Point out the personal attack please. Quote any part of my posts which are either abusive or haven't either originally been supplied or subsequently repeated by yourself. Running to mods, how very snowflake of you.

Running to mods, how very snowflake of you.

I haven't 'run' to anyone. However when members are seen arguing mods tend to notice and step in. But if you want to carry on, knock yourself out.

Point out the personal attack please.

Seems personal to me. Although I notice you edited your first tirade.

"Why don't you just get over yourself?"

"Why the need to pick holes all the time? Does it make you feel better about yourself?"

"It doesn't say much for you does it?"

"how very snowflake of you"

"You just like picking holes and making a point for the sake of making a point don't you."

and my personal favourite:

"You really are just the most horrendous bore are you not?"

Whoa, everyone play nice. :D

I come in here with positive sentiments. Having watched this at the weekend, this film really is not the villain of the Star Wars universe it's been made out to be. Quite scandalous really. The way it's been spoken about I was expecting no more than a 4/10 flick, but I've just done a mini-review in the Films Watched Last Night thread, and I'm comfortable giving it a 6.5/10.

Whilst nowhere near wonderful, nor as good as it should have been, I still rate it higher than most of the other Star Wars films if I'm honest.

Whoa, everyone play nice. :D

I come in here with positive sentiments. Having watched this at the weekend, this film really is not the villain of the Star Wars universe it's been made out to be. Quite scandalous really. The way it's been spoken about I was expecting no more than a 4/10 flick, but I've just done a mini-review in the Films Watched Last Night thread, and I'm comfortable giving it a 6.5/10.

Whilst nowhere near wonderful, nor as good as it should have been, I still rate it higher than most of the other Star Wars films if I'm honest.

I think it's fine as a breezy, inoffensive adventure in the Star Wars universe. It just felt for me like a TV pilot rather than a movie. It isn't that its 'bad', its just so inconsequential and uninspired. I realise it isn't a 'main' film, but neither was Rogue One and that blew my mind. I'm just not used to feeling so indifferent at the end of a Star Wars theatrical film. At least the prequels were interesting enough to make me angry! :laugh:.

I haven't 'run' to anyone. However when members are seen arguing mods tend to notice and step in. But if you want to carry on, knock yourself out.

Seems personal to me. Although I notice you edited your first tirade.

"Why don't you just get over yourself?"

"Why the need to pick holes all the time? Does it make you feel better about yourself?"

"It doesn't say much for you does it?"

"how very snowflake of you"

"You just like picking holes and making a point for the sake of making a point don't you."

and my personal favourite:

"You really are just the most horrendous bore are you not?"

If what is above is seriously your definition of an "attack" then really should have a re-evaluation.

I think it's fine as a breezy, inoffensive adventure in the Star Wars universe. It just felt for me like a TV pilot rather than a movie. It isn't that its 'bad', its just so inconsequential and uninspired. I realise it isn't a 'main' film, but neither was Rogue One and that blew my mind. I'm just not used to feeling so indifferent at the end of a Star Wars theatrical film. At least the prequels were interesting enough to make me angry! :laugh:.

You and I both agree on the powerhouse that is Rogue One. That remains the greatest of all the Star Wars flicks. And you're right, this is an inoffensive adventure and a perfect Saturday night popcorn flick. Just a bonus here that it is within the Star Wars universe! I've been browsing some reviews and thoughts on it this morning from elsewhere on the web, and it is a scandal what has been said about it. I'm totally perplexed as to what film a lot of people actually seem to have watched! Cos it ain't this one!

As for the prequels - and TFA and TLJ - I personally wouldn't score any of them higher than a 6. So given my rating here I'd have to take this over any of them.

I didn't go into this with any expectations either way to be honest. I'd already seen all of the good and harsh opinions of it as we saw it late in its run.

It's just a good if not outstanding peice of entertainment as far as I am concerned. I think that after Rouge One, which added so much to what had gone before whilst being a top film in its own right, this didn't really add a great deal that I necessarily would have wanted to, or needed to, know. I'll have to wait until I see it again but at the time I just thought that it could have been about anyone, anywhere. Still liked it as a film though.

One day I swear I'll understand this masturbatory love of Rogue One. One day..

Yoda-do.jpg

This is the first ever Star Wars film or film set in the Star Wars universe that I do not feel the need to 're visit . Even the poor prequels have more revelence in the saga than this unnecessary film . Whilst I do not hate it I feel no need to watch it again because it adds nothing .

One day I swear I'll understand this masturbatory love of Rogue One. One day..
Totally with you mate. Empty, soulless, charmless, boring fan fiction. Awful CGI, awful music, bland characters, last 20 minutes provide some eye candy but that’s as far as it goes for me. Definitely down there with the prequels.

There was nothing wrong with any of the CGI.
Awful
Tarkin & Leia
One or two iffy green screen shots that can happen in any film, other wise no pretty standard CGI.
Back to Solo. I enjoyed all of the effects work on Solo with the exception of one Wookie :smashin:

Last edited:
^ awful (for some) only in the sense that the digital face replacement tech isn't there yet. Nothing to do with the quality of the CGI per se.

IMO the visual effects in all the Disney Star Wars films including Solo are absolutely tip-top. As they should be, considering ILM was born out of Star Wars.

^ awful (for some) only in the sense that the digital face replacement tech isn't there yet. Nothing to do with the quality of the CGI per se.

IMO the visual effects in all the Disney Star Wars films including Solo are absolutely tip-top. As they should be, considering ILM was born out of Star Wars.
I think it’s widely accepted across the board, they’re both badly judged and badly rendered and I’d agree with you except Marvel have absolutely nailed it. Admittedly in different circumstances, but they’ve shown it can be done....

I’d agree with you except Marvel have absolutely nailed it. Admittedly in different circumstances, but they’ve shown it can be done....

They haven't even attempted it. It's true Marvel have absolutely nailed de-aging technology (my hat is off to them) but that is a completely different discipline to the infinitely harder task of bringing back actors from the dead.

What I would say in agreement with you is that the decision to
digitally recreate Tarkin as opposed to recasting the role (Charles Dance would have been my choice)
was arguably a mistake. The effect isn't fully convincing for the amount of screen time he has and I think it will age rapidly. Doesn't bother me personally as I was simply thrilled to see the character again.

I think it’s widely accepted across the board, they’re both badly judged and badly rendered

Rogue One received an Oscar nomination for visual effects and that was entirely for their pioneering work on that particular effect. So it certainly isn't accepted across the board.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom