Bargain Expired Sonic direct Black Friday

mcmental

Established Member
Reaction score
There’s a few TVs come up on their website, not sure if bargains but maybe of interest to someone.
BF2019.jpg

*Mod Edit to include picture correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, I'll mark it as bargain at least for now. Some decent prices there and promising signs that other retailers will price match too. I've edited your post to show the image btw.

Hmm, maybe its in-store only? I doubt showing this leaflet to RS or JL will get them to price match :/
Its in anticipation for Black Friday. Not so common in the UK but in the USA all the stores list each deal the week (or more) in advance. Of course its subject to change and come the day may be even lower.

FWIW it looks like (can't make it out fully, am drudging onto their site now) that the nanoled LG is not the best of deals ... oh, I dunno, I've been awake too long.

Let's just say that I THINK that the 8600 advertised above is not as good a deal as the 8500 here, seemingly outside of black friday:
Because the 8500 is direct, and the 8600 edge, but I've been wrong before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it's worth anything ... I've been doing a little bit of digging around the lower end of the market over the past week for the parents who are pushing very hard to go 49/50" or under in their lounge, and 32 in bedroom. One thing I've noticed is a very keen desire by the TV manufacturers to strip the good stuff out of the smaller sets ...

... ... in the UK. It would seem (again, maybe I'm just paranoid or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) that over the past generation they've stopped using VA panels, and / or direct LED, or other decent tech in smaller sets.

I mean ... ... fine(?) ... but, then why sell it elsewhere? (russia, europe, etc)

EDIT:
Also ... if it helps ... Piggy is telling me that any of the following could work there:
NOVEMBER19 20LESS NEWSHOPPER22 25OFF2019 PR150
Couldn't see anywhere to try them, wasn't going to give address details to try it. Will give 'em a bell tomorrow, as otherwise they're fighting Curry's on the prices, here.

Last edited:
FWIW it looks like (can't make it out fully, am drudging onto their site now) that the nanoled LG is not the best of deals ... oh, I dunno, I've been awake too long.

Let's just say that I THINK that the 8600 advertised above is not as good a deal as the 8500 here, seemingly outside of black friday:
Because the 8500 is direct, and the 8600 edge, but I've been wrong before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it's worth anything ... I've been doing a little bit of digging around the lower end of the market over the past week for the parents who are pushing very hard to go 49/50" or under in their lounge, and 32 in bedroom. One thing I've noticed is a very keen desire by the TV manufacturers to strip the good stuff out of the smaller sets ...

... ... in the UK. It would seem (again, maybe I'm just paranoid or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) that over the past generation they've stopped using VA panels, and / or direct LED, or other decent tech in smaller sets.

I mean ... ... fine(?) ... but, then why sell it elsewhere? (russia, europe, etc)

EDIT:
Also ... if it helps ... Piggy is telling me that any of the following could work there:
NOVEMBER19 20LESS NEWSHOPPER22 25OFF2019 PR150
Couldn't see anywhere to try them, wasn't going to give address details to try it. Will give 'em a bell tomorrow, as otherwise they're fighting Curry's on the prices, here.
The SM8500/SM8600 are the same TV but with different aesthetics ,they are both edge lit. Direct lit/edge lit makes no difference anyway unless the TV comes with decent local dimming. The only LGs that have that are the SM9xxx range.

LG have always used IPS type panels on their TVs unless they are 50" or 58". Possibly 70" too. This is because LG's factory produces only IPS panels. The other sizes they buy their panels from a 3rd party.

The 2018 SK8500 was indeed a direct lit model with local dimming, just another reason not to compare models year to year as manufacturers like to try and trick us, selling the same TV model line the following year sometimes with worse specs.

are you serious?

Their website says Direct ... gaddammit ... Thanks, @Dodgexander!
The SM8500/SM8600 are the same TV but with different aesthetics ,they are both edge lit. Direct lit/edge lit makes no difference anyway unless the TV comes with decent local dimming. The only LGs that have that are the SM9xxx range.

LG have always used IPS type panels on their TVs unless they are 50" or 58". Possibly 70" too. This is because LG's factory produces only IPS panels. The other sizes they buy their panels from a 3rd party.

The 2018 SK8500 was indeed a direct lit model with local dimming, just another reason not to compare models year to year as manufacturers like to try and trick us, selling the same TV model line the following year sometimes with worse specs.

EDIT:
Ahhhh ... I was thinking of the SK... My bad.

Thanks again, you've literally just saved me from a big oopsie!!

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom