Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Interesting the the cones in the Sonos Sub Gen 3 are different to the Gen 2, they are more curved so more space between them and the rubber surrounding the cone is smaller.

Interesting the the cones in the Sonos Sub Gen 3 are different to the Gen 2, they are more curved so more space between them and the rubber surrounding the cone is smaller.

Has anyone tested frequency response etc. with the different Sonos subs? Curious

Has anyone tested frequency response etc. with the different Sonos subs? Curious

He said he's going to test them further but hasn't heard any differences as of yet. Interesting though. They are both rated as going down to 25HZ

Did some quick short tests Sonos Arc vs Kef LSX (LSX prob need a bit more breaking in still) but, so far...

Stereo music (Spotify) - It's not a contest, the Kef's are in everyway better for stereo music. Kef's big wide lifelike soundstage, bass/mids/highs all rich but tight(though I'd question if they were that much better than my Dali/Denon £400 combo - but you do get a much smaller less cluttered set-up). The Arc the sound varied depending on the track. Sometimes it sounded ok to good, other times it sounded like the music was being piped through a metal biscuit tin. Soundstage much more enclosed. But it was never unpleasant. I know, stereo speakers beating soundbar in stereo music contest shocker. But the take home is if music is a high priority you might want to get some demoes first .. though the Arcs are fine for casual listening and background music. Relative scores (not absolute)

Kefs 10 / Sonos 6

5.1 TV (Sky DD) - Watched Succession (great show) the Kef's did a good job with PCM audio, nice full wide sound, clear dialogue, good with soundtrack. But the Sonos were better. Dialogue, the Arc's knock it out the park, it's like the dialogue is stuck to the screen where each character is and is a level or two clearer than the Kefs. Also ambient "surround" noises much better seperated than vs Kefs, creating a more realistic more engaging sound (though "surround sound" is a massive stretch - at least in my room). Soundtracks sound as good as the Kefs - I'm assuming as mixed in 5.1 they don't have the 2.0 to upmix 5.1 issue which created a mediocre stereo performance. (Might have to checkout Tidal's Atmos music selection)

Kefs 7.5 / Sonos 10

Oh and zero bass issues with the Sonos, while it wasn't as tight and agile as the Kefs it matched them for output and extension, easy. I expect the Rtings score to go up considerably on 12.0.1 re-review.

Currently leaning towards building the Sonos system to 5.1 and getting some cheaper bookshelves for the study for when I want to listen to music (if I was flush I'd keep the Kef's but some £400 actives will likely give me 80% the performance even if they aren't so small and sexy) Planning on running some more tests this weekend with more cinematic tracks, Atmos etc. to confirm initial findings. Nerd level fun or what

Having had the Gen2 for quite a while, and now a Gen3 for a few days i cannot hear any difference in sound between the two. Perhaps there is a difference on paper, but its not at all audible.

Did some quick short tests Sonos Arc vs Kef LSX (LSX prob need a bit more breaking in still) but, so far...

Stereo music (Spotify) - It's not a contest, the Kef's are in everyway better for stereo music. Kef's big wide lifelike soundstage, bass/mids/highs all rich but tight(though I'd question if they were that much better than my Dali/Denon £400 combo - but you do get a much smaller less cluttered set-up). The Arc the sound varied depending on the track. Sometimes it sounded ok to good, other times it sounded like the music was being piped through a metal biscuit tin. Soundstage much more enclosed. But it was never unpleasant. I know, stereo speakers beating soundbar in stereo music contest shocker. But the take home is if music is a high priority you might want to get some demoes first .. though the Arcs are fine for casual listening and background music. Relative scores (not absolute)

Kefs 10 / Sonos 6

5.1 TV (Sky DD) - Watched Succession (great show) the Kef's did a good job with PCM audio, nice full wide sound, clear dialogue, good with soundtrack. But the Sonos were better. Dialogue, the Arc's knock it out the park, it's like the dialogue is stuck to the screen where each character is and is a level or two clearer than the Kefs. Also ambient "surround" noises much better seperated than vs Kefs, creating a more realistic more engaging sound (though "surround sound" is a massive stretch - at least in my room). Soundtracks sound as good as the Kefs - I'm assuming as mixed in 5.1 they don't have the 2.0 to upmix 5.1 issue which created a mediocre stereo performance. (Might have to checkout Tidal's Atmos music selection)

Kefs 7.5 / Sonos 10

Oh and zero bass issues with the Sonos, while it wasn't as tight and agile as the Kefs it matched them for output and extension, easy. I expect the Rtings score to go up considerably on 12.0.1 re-review.

Currently leaning towards building the Sonos system to 5.1 and getting some cheaper bookshelves for the study for when I want to listen to music (if I was flush I'd keep the Kef's but some £400 actives will likely give me 80% the performance even if they aren't so small and sexy) Planning on running some more tests this weekend with more cinematic tracks, Atmos etc. to confirm initial findings. Nerd level fun or what

Thanks for this - I've been getting slight pangs of buyer's remorse having spent a chunk of money upgrading my stereo system to a pair of rather expensive actives. I do stream a lot of movies and TV and had wondered would the Arc have been a better choice as it's probably good enough for music. Having said that, my actives are pretty good for movies and TV (very good, actually), and I value sound quality for music over movie 'experience' - just about - but I may add an Arc later down the line. Clearly, my desire for a silver bullet simple system is likely never going to be met, but the innovation in wireless actives and sound bars are certainly helping!

brand-dark.svg
About our ads

You may also like

I am not sure why rtings didn't test with subwoofer and rear speakers which are required for a 360 home cinema experience.

The lowest frequency is 54 Hz for the soundbar alone. This is not too shabby but far off from the expected sweet spot of 25 Hz - 35 Hz that is recommended for movies which can easily be achieved by adding the sub..
He said he's going to test them further but hasn't heard any differences as of yet. Interesting though. They are both rated as going down to 25HZ
i will be surprised if it can do 35 hz at -3db.

Kefs 10 / Sonos 6

Kefs 7.5 / Sonos 10

I recently purchased a Sonos move (first Sonos product) and I have to say I am really impressed with it. I keep hovering over the purchase button on an Arc, Sub (Gen 3), 2 x SL's and 2 x Fives but at over £2k its a lot of money (inc. 20% off).

Granted I will have an awesome system (home theatre 5.1.2) and a stereo pair of Fives too for music but having just spent £2.5k on a CX and a grand on an i7 Mac Mini I told myself I wouldnt spend so much this year on AV!! :)

Thanks for this - I've been getting slight pangs of buyer's remorse having spent a chunk of money upgrading my stereo system to a pair of rather expensive actives. I do stream a lot of movies and TV and had wondered would the Arc have been a better choice as it's probably good enough for music. Having said that, my actives are pretty good for movies and TV (very good, actually), and I value sound quality for music over movie 'experience' - just about - but I may add an Arc later down the line. Clearly, my desire for a silver bullet simple system is likely never going to be met, but the innovation in wireless actives and sound bars are certainly helping!

Ha, yeah silver bullets - that's what I was looking for.

They are both fantastic products but it's somewhat of a horses for courses choice at this price range - unless you have enough space and are happy to have lots of big boxes and miles of cabling.

I'd imagine if you'd step up to the something like the Ambeo you might get that bullet, but a cost.

They are both fantastic products but it's somewhat of a horses for courses choice at this price range - unless you have enough space and are happy to have lots of big boxes and miles of cabling.

I'd imagine if you'd step up to the something like the Ambeo you might get that bullet, but a cost.
The Ambeo is still less than what I spent on my hifi actives and I can't imagine it'd sound better either, plus it looks pretty ugly. I don't think a high end stereo system can ever be replicated with a sound bar - not without redefining the laws of physics - so a combination of the two seems like the best compromise. Unless, like you said you're happy with lots of big boxes and miles of cabling (it's the cabling that drives me insane)!

Yes we are talking about the sub. Arc at best like 50 hz.

Joe and Tell has it at 33hz at -3db (see the vid below 12m 40s) and 22hz at -6db. That super impressive for a super compact sub you can tuck down the side of a sofa and should give a palable sense of bass in a small to medium room. If you watch a bit earlier you'll see the default level setting is ridiculously high, like +10db past flat which explains Mr Bears need to dial his sub way down.

Ambeo isn't the silver bullet you're looking for either, especially without a sub. Adding the sub will bring the total price to an even higher -already rediculous- number.

For music, not a bar in the world is going to beat good, seperate stereo speakers.

Ambeo isn't the silver bullet you're looking for either, especially without a sub. Adding the sub will bring the total price to an even higher -already rediculous- number.

For music, not a bar in the world is going to beat good, seperate stereo speakers.

I suspect you're right. Besides the Ambeo is too big to work in my lounge anyway and a bit ugly, so not really an option.

It's this review that stuck that thought in my mind...

"If you can afford $1,100 speakers, these [Kef LSX] will give you a more impressive stereo image than any soundbar I’ve heard short of Sennheiser’s $2,500 Ambeo."

I suspect you're right. Besides the Ambeo is too big to work in my lounge anyway and a bit ugly, so not really an option.

It's this review that stuck that thought in my mind...

"If you can afford $1,100 speakers, these [Kef LSX] will give you a more impressive stereo image than any soundbar I’ve heard short of Sennheiser’s $2,500 Ambeo."

But then you spend £2000 on active speakers and no sound bar will even come close!

Joe and Tell has it at 33hz at -3db (see the vid below 12m 40s) and 22hz at -6db. That super impressive for a super compact sub you can tuck down the side of a sofa and should give a palable sense of bass in a small to medium room. If you watch a bit earlier you'll see the default level setting is ridiculously high, like +10db past flat which explains Mr Bears need to dial his sub way down.

Thanks for the info. I did find a measurement from Sound&Vison that stated 34-96 hz +/- 3 dB. For a small sub that is impressive. It is funny that I don’t feel that way on my Gen3 sub but it is nice to know it can go down to 34hz.

I need a recommendation. Ive got an LG B7 (no earc). I stream 99% of the time through the internal apps. Is it worth getting an atmos soundbar. I think only Netflix and amazon do atmos.

I need a recommendation. Ive got an LG B7 (no earc). I stream 99% of the time through the internal apps. Is it worth getting an atmos soundbar. I think only Netflix and amazon do atmos.
Disney+ do Atmos as well. The streaming apps use Dolby Digital Plus to send Dolby Atmos which works over hdmi Arc.

The Apple TV 4k uses Dolby MAT to send Atmos for its iTunes films which requires E-ARC or your TV to convert to Dolby Digital Plus (Which LG TV's have been reported as doing. My Sony XF9005 won't unfortunately).

how are you finding the mini? tempted after my iMac died.
can you recommend a monitor? or are you using as a home theatre device? ... sorry off topic :)

Hi mate, it’s hooked up to my 65CX LG, used mainly as a home theatre device, streaming 4K rips, etc etc.

It has replaced my old one which was really struggling, I think they are great, a little pricey but no more than an iPhone over 2 years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom