Question Sonos Beam or Samsung HW-Q70R? Advice needed.

Shotokan999

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help me. I've just bought a Samsung 55" Q70R TV, and am now looking for a sound bar to go with it. I have the opportunity to get back 50% of the purchase price of a Samsung HW-Q70R if purchased in the next 30 days. I also already own two Sonos One's Gen 2's. Reviews on both the Samsung and Sonos sound bars seem good and just can't make my mind up which to go for, both options are going to end up costing me around the same. I'm aware the Sonos has no Dolby Atmos or DTS. Only going to be used in small room (12ft X 10ft) Any suggestions on which to go for?

I'd get the Q70 if I were you, it'll be a really good match for your TV and the audio will outdo anything Sonos can offer.

I'd get the Q70 if I were you, it'll be a really good match for your TV and the audio will outdo anything Sonos can offer.
Thanks for the reply, slightly been leaning that way, it was just the fact I already had the two Sonos one's.

Hi, hoping someone can help me. I've just bought a Samsung 55" Q70R TV, and am now looking for a sound bar to go with it. I have the opportunity to get back 50% of the purchase price of a Samsung HW-Q70R if purchased in the next 30 days. I also already own two Sonos One's Gen 2's. Reviews on both the Samsung and Sonos sound bars seem good and just can't make my mind up which to go for, both options are going to end up costing me around the same. I'm aware the Sonos has no Dolby Atmos or DTS. Only going to be used in small room (12ft X 10ft) Any suggestions on which to go for?

I own a Beam with a view to getting some Ones and maybe the sub eventually and it's an impressive piece of kit.

I had a Samsung 5.1 system from a few years ago and the wireless rear speakers would constantly disconnect so my experience wasn't great, when it worked it sounded good though.

It depends on your usage, it fills our living room on its own and it's a bit larger than your room and I don't have the Ones yet, so it's got more work to do to fill the space.

It won't do DTS however if you have a blu ray player that can decode and convert it on the fly you will still get 5.1. My Xbox One happens to do this so when playing The fast and the furious blu ray which only has a DTS audio track I still got 5.1 Dolby digital.

I own 2 Beams, living room and bedroom and for my needs they are great, both bars allow me to control my smart devices around the house, I have Play 1's paired with one Beam and One's paired with the other Beam connected via smart plugs and a subwoofer in the living room for extra bass and they are good, they bring films and TV shows to life, more so than the Yamaha Ysp 2700 I had previously. I ask Alexa to turn on "movie time" and hey presto I've got a Dolby Digital 5.1. They sound great and fill the room with sound. I bought them all via various deals on HotUKDeals and despite the limitations with Sonos (No DTS) I've come to love both setups...

Because they just work. I'd love an Atmos setup but both Samsung and Sennheiser threads are filled with issues.

Ive recently replaced my sonos setup (playbar, sub and 2 x ones) for Samsung hw-q99r and I’m quite mixed feelings about it at the moment. If it’s a small room the beam should be fine especially paired with the ones you already own so the initial outlay will be a lot smaller and you can add the Sonos sub later if required. The limitations of no DTS are really annoying but it will depend a lot on what content you will be playing so if you mainly stream or have a Blu-ray player that can decide dts to Dolby digital you would be fine.

With regards Atmos, I’m not overly convinced of the q90r although there have been a few times I could here sounds above it wasn’t really wowing me, but I have had a dedicated cinema room with a proper B&W 5.1.4 setup for years so maybe my expectations were too high. Also I’m still playing around with it to try and get it just right.

There are also the issues a lot of folks are having with the q90r, disconnects, lip sync, crackling etc to be fair I’ve not really had these issues but they do seem quite common when looking at the forums. The Sonos setup works flawlessly once setup (I had a bit of bother getting setup in the first place but that was probably down to me) and the sound was really good. I also have a bean with to play 1s at my caravan and it does the job perfectly there too.

So there are a few pros and cons for each. Another point about the Sonos since you already have the ones is that Sonos holds its value pretty well so you could potentially buy a beam or a playbar to see how they sound and if your not feeling it sell them on and go for the sammy. At the same time I don’t seem to have the issues others have had with the q90r and it sounds good too, there is definitely more presence especially with Atmos content.

Well I think I’ve confused myself as to which I would prefer so hope I’ve done the same to you lol. One last thing the size of the sammy is about 122cm (if I remember correctly) so More suited to larger TVs probably 55 and up, I have a Beam at the caravan and it’s under a 55” tv, it doesn’t look terrible but it’s quite small in comparison.

Thanks for all your input, think I'm even more confused now, Lol. Like I say it's not really a money thing as with the cash back on the HW-70R, it's going to cost around the same as a Sonos Beam. I realise the Beam's seem to hold there money well so may be a case of getting both and try them against each other, seems the only way I'm going to know for sure. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all your input, think I'm even more confused now, Lol. Like I say it's not really a money thing as with the cash back on the HW-70R, it's going to cost around the same as a Sonos Beam. I realise the Beam's seem to hold there money well so may be a case of getting both and try them against each other, seems the only way I'm going to know for sure. Thanks again everyone.
No worries mate, I think I was going back and forth myself while typing this morning lol. I was also comparing my Playbar against my HW-Q90R I misread that it was actually the Q70 you were looking at. If you have a good HiFi dealer local you could always ask them if they have demo stock that you could take them to try and will buy the one you like best.

Ended up going for the HW-Q70R, very happy with it. Would like to buy the SWA-8500S rear speaker kit to go with it but seems to have been discontinued, wish I'd of know this before buying

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom