Sonos Beam

I think refined is a good term for the sound. Noticed it in particular with the Sub. Of all the soundbars I listened to, the way the Sonos sub supplemented the existing sound of the Beam / Playbar was quite impressive in how subtle it was.

The price, I was less impressed by. :D

Is your TV off to the side of a chimney breast or something like that?
How does the Beam sound with the tv sited in the corner of a room?
My room does not allow for the tv to be sited any where else. I currently have a 5.1 system but I feel I’m not getting the best out of it due to the siting of the front three speakers. Couple of pictures attached for reference.:)

View attachment 1190198

View attachment 1190199
@Slogan pictures of my front room layout above. As you can see front speaker placement is not ideal. Can’t change the front room layout.

@Slogan pictures of my front room layout above. As you can see front speaker placement is not ideal. Can’t change the front room layout.

Doh. Had seen those before, just didn't make the connection it was yourself. :D

Can see the difficulty with the placement, probably the right rear in particular but have certainly seen stranger layouts, with even more expensive individual speakers.

My Mx and Match black and white set up. I was nervous about the colour combo but I think it works fine.
7B3B4095-260B-4CFD-9869-2A27A6754FEA.jpeg
B2AA120D-2EE0-4AB5-8B03-BE966305D854.jpeg

Mine is the same. Black beam under a black TV and white 1’s for the rears against light walls.

Looks good, my OCD won't allow me to do that but it does work nicely, the beam disappears and the Ones blend in :)

Had much chance to sample the sound?
The missus threw a strop when the White Ones and stands appeared. She has since pressed mute button and I suspect there is a begrudging acceptance it goes together well.
Apart from checking that the rears are carrying sound on DD the system has not been stretched.

The missus threw a strop when the White Ones and stands appeared. She has since pressed mute button and I suspect there is a begrudging acceptance it goes together well.
Apart from checking that the rears are carrying sound on DD the system has not been stretched.

Women eh, can't live with em :D

A couple of queries. The Beam comes on with tv sound by default, fine. When I go to tv menu and select tv speakers the selection does not hold. It switches itself back to Cinema Speakers almost immediately. Is this normal? It seems I can only use the tv speakers by unplugging Sonos.
Also with tv in standby I ask Alexa to play music. Alexa responds but no music. I have to go into Sonos app and deselect tv sound. Again is this normal?

A couple of queries. The Beam comes on with tv sound by default, fine. When I go to tv menu and select tv speakers the selection does not hold. It switches itself back to Cinema Speakers almost immediately. Is this normal? It seems I can only use the tv speakers by unplugging Sonos.
Also with tv in standby I ask Alexa to play music. Alexa responds but no music. I have to go into Sonos app and deselect tv sound. Again is this normal?

I don't believe you can disconnect the Sonos like that.

Not sure about the second question as I don't use any smart features on the bar.

Even though after ordering the Beam I discovered that my tv doesn’t pass through Dolby 5.1 so would have to be returned it arrived this week so I set it up connected directly to my Sky HD box with the optical adapter to give it a listen. Connected up my pair of existing Play Ones as rears too. Wish I hadn’t now. Sounds really good especially on 5.1 material. If I’d been able to keep it I don’t think there’d have been a need for the sub as well. Also sounds fantastic when switching it to music with the rears on full rather than ambient.

So near yet so far!!

Anyone here messed around with the treble on the Sonos app? I played with turning it down and wondered if it sounded a bit better? Also dulls the hiss you sometimes get when people speak (assuming it's poorly set up microphones and the Beam is just playing what it receives?).

I know it's a personal thing but just curious :)

Anyone here messed around with the treble on the Sonos app? I played with turning it down and wondered if it sounded a bit better? Also dulls the hiss you sometimes get when people speak (assuming it's poorly set up microphones and the Beam is just playing what it receives?).

I know it's a personal thing but just curious :)
funny you mention this, I have my bass at +5 and treble at -1

funny you mention this, I have my bass at +5 and treble at -1

Thanks mate, that's interesting. I found any lower than -2 and some things sounded a bit muffled perhaps? Best way i can describe it.

Also curious about the Loudness setting, i'm finding video games very loud even at low volume (which i usually play at) and i'm wondering if loudness is boosting certain sounds because i have the volume set so low. I'll have to have a play but i thought most people recommend leaving Loudness on?

Cheers

Thanks mate, that's interesting. I found any lower than -2 and some things sounded a bit muffled perhaps? Best way i can describe it.

Also curious about the Loudness setting, i'm finding video games very loud even at low volume (which i usually play at) and i'm wondering if loudness is boosting certain sounds because i have the volume set so low. I'll have to have a play but i thought most people recommend leaving Loudness on?

Cheers
It’s probably content driven. Most games come with digital 5.1. Not all programmes do. They will output in stereo only. You can check this via the app

Question. So my sons watching Harry Potter on Blu-ray via the PS4. I opened the Sonos app to check the sound output. To my surprise it’s stereo? What playing the last of us and the same thing. Tried Netflix John wick 2 and that’s showing 5.1 on the Sonos app. So what am I doing wrong with ps4?

Question. So my sons watching Harry Potter on Blu-ray via the PS4. I opened the Sonos app to check the sound output. To my surprise it’s stereo? What playing the last of us and the same thing. Tried Netflix John wick 2 and that’s showing 5.1 on the Sonos app. So what am I doing wrong with ps4?

I'd have to see the sound setting options for the PS4. But on my Xbox I needed to set it to bitstream out and Dolby digital. Picture attached. With this in the Sonos app I get Dolby digital 5.1. all other options resulted in stereo.

20191004_175131.jpg
20191004_175139.jpg

With regards Loudness, I've turned it off as apparently it just boosts bass and treble at lower volumes but it doesn't cut off until the volume is much higher, so I'll see how I get in. I have felt treble has been very dominant at times but I'm still very impressed with what I have been hearing.

I'd have to see the sound setting options for the PS4. But on my Xbox I needed to set it to bitstream out and Dolby digital. Picture attached. With this in the Sonos app I get Dolby digital 5.1. all other options resulted in stereo.

View attachment 1203082View attachment 1203083
yes mate, I’ve done that.... primary output is HDMI and bitstream (Dolby digital) still not outputting in 5.1.... how Strange

With regards Loudness, I've turned it off as apparently it just boosts bass and treble at lower volumes but it doesn't cut off until the volume is much higher, so I'll see how I get in. I have felt treble has been very dominant at times but I'm still very impressed with what I have been hearing.
I’ve left mine on but will experiment

yes mate, I’ve done that.... primary output is HDMI and bitstream (Dolby digital) still not outputting in 5.1.... how Strange

Stupid question but is this via HDMI ARC and is your TV capable of decoding 5.1 via ARC?

Mine currently through my Xbox says this -

20191004_181052.jpg

No idea what information is incriminating :eek:

Last edited:
Yes the tv can decode doubly digital

Yes the tv can decode doubly digital

Maybe a reboot may help? It must be a simple setting somewhere, we've all been there, I didn't get 5.1 out of my Xbox to start with I had stereo and then messed around and got 5.1.

Maybe worth asking in the PS4 section and see if anyone has any set up tips for you? :)

So weird, sons playing Fifa 20 and that’s being outputted to 5.1! But not Harry Potter?!

Does the Harry Potter Blu Ray have the option for choosing audio if it does its not on stereo is it? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom