Sony 65" AF9 OLED Looking Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

dts borg

Established Member
Reaction score
JAWcyuRHFoRo7MVttEquh4-650-80.jpg

Been in the market for a new 4K and was going to buy the AF8 this week until I notice the AF9 out later this Month. Currently the 65" AF8 has dropped from average £3300 to £2700 a huge diffrence from launch £4000.

The AF9 looks like Sony have nailed it but they still give a crappy nasty bulky ugly remote that looks like it cost £1 from poundland with a tv costing £4000 which is shame.

Has anyone seen the AF9? The only review I have found so far is from TechRadar so I think I will hold fire a few Months and wait for the first or second price drop.Sony Bravia AF9 OLED (KD-65AF9) hands on review | TechRadar

Last edited:
There are no proper reviews yet for this set and that TechRadar is just a hands on from the Sony event. Not really a review at all. There should be hands on impressions and reviews any day now though as I believe there are some in the USA who are getting there set today/tomorrow.

The AF9 uses Sony's new pixel contrast booster technology so it won't have the issue the current A1 has.

Essentially on the A1/AF8 it's an LG panel and an LG controller for the display, Sony have stripped the LG controller out and put their own one in to help with brightness and also get around the dimming issue

The AF9 uses Sony's new pixel contrast booster technology so it won't have the issue the current A1 has.

Essentially on the A1/AF8 it's an LG panel and an LG controller for the display, Sony have stripped the LG controller out and put their own one in to help with brightness and also get around the dimming issue

Hi - A1 owner here - my understanding is the dimming issue is due to a proprietary software algorithm by Sony that is supposed to protect the display by detecting static content on screen (eg if you left an HDR game paused). This was only added to the TV with a 2018 firmware update (the one that added Dolby Vision).

One would think Sony might well add the same “protective” algorithm on the AF9, but hopefully they will have fixed it by then, which I’m sure they will do eventually since it’s just a software bug.

I played the HK fight scene from Pacific Rim on 65C8. Trust me, in a dark room, I found it super bright even at 75% of the light and contrast (note that I am still getting used to this level of brightness after coming form a Plasma). I still watch many UHD movies at just 50-60% of light and contrast. I know I am not getting the true 4K HDR experience but I need some time to settle down. Maybe the viewing distance is also a factor her, as I view the 65 from just 7.5ft.

I played the HK fight scene from Pacific Rim on 65C8. Trust me, in a dark room, I found it super bright even at 75% of the light and contrast (note that I am still getting used to this level of brightness after coming form a Plasma). I still watch many UHD movies at just 50-60% of light and contrast. I know I am not getting the true 4K HDR experience but I need some time to settle down. Maybe the viewing distance is also a factor her, as I view the 65 from just 7.5ft.

Oleds are PLENTY bright enough for me. As with you, I think having the plasma background makes all the difference. I can't help but think most folk bemoaning the 'limited brightness' of Oleds come from LED/LCD backgrounds. Which, respectfully, negates their opinions to me personally. I hate overly vibrant brightness & being told I'm essentially wrong to not want an even brighter image gets kind of annoying...

It is true that the algorithm has indeed had an unintended negative effect in this case.
I was lucky enough to see an LG E8 next to an AF9 recently, Sony claim that the previously mentioned software issue will have a fix, but also said that it's a complicated issue with the panel controller too.

In reference to nesting the C8 I can say from the side by side demos that we're shown with the TV's using just their preset picture modes the AF9 is clearly a better picture. And android OREO is actually a very good UX. At the same price as an E8 I can see no reason as to why you wouldn't buy the Sony, unless LG address the price

It is true that the algorithm has indeed had an unintended negative effect in this case.
I was lucky enough to see an LG E8 next to an AF9 recently, Sony claim that the previously mentioned software issue will have a fix, but also said that it's a complicated issue with the panel controller too.

Really interesting insight; more detail than they are publicaly sharing and your first post r.e. the controllers being part of the problem makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for sharing.

I’m guessing perhaps you were at IFA? Jealous of the chance to see the AF9 (and quiz Sony employees on the dimming issue!)

Did Oreo on it seem snappy? Android is a pain to use on the A1 (compared to LG)

Sony does not stand behind their product, I doubt it will best the C8.

Hah you are joking, please spin 180 you will find the grey exit door at the end of the hall..

Have some insight and research before you come out with stuff like this

Hah you are joking, please spin 180 you will find the grey exit door at the end of the hall..

You have literally no evidence whatsoever to back up your claims. You bleat on nonsensically like the fanboy you are. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Last edited:
Yes! Oreo is a step in the right direction, much quicker to respond and much less cluttered on the home menu.

For example, current nougat state, if you press and hold the volume key for a few seconds you'll eventually see the volume icon appear and it jumps in 2's or 5's

Now it comes up instantly tracking in 1's

I would say from what I saw it was as snappy as thinq/WebOS

Yes! Oreo is a step in the right direction, much quicker to respond and much less cluttered on the home menu.

For example, current nougat state, if you press and hold the volume key for a few seconds you'll eventually see the volume icon appear and it jumps in 2's or 5's

Now it comes up instantly tracking in 1's

I would say from what I saw it was as snappy as thinq/WebOS

Again, thanks for sharing.

At first I loved Android on the A1; the flexibility etc. But now, after a year, the responsiveness compared to everything else in our setup (fire tv, Apple TV etc) has become such a drag. Although I’d love to
ditch it we keep coming back as it’s the most solid way we have of presenting Netflix content with Dolby Vision, and Prime content at proper cadence and without frame skips or lip sync issues. Not to mention having all the catch up apps and HDR YouTube in one place.

If Sony have finally sorted out a pleasant UI with the X1 ultimate it’s a bit of a game changer since you use the interface every day, much more important than you’d think. Reckon the AF9 will be a big hit.

I do, I was screwed by a Sony they replaced my A1 with one with banding and said it’s fits within the spec. The HDR on a Sony A1 is absolutely worthless and anyone who says it’s not is working for the press and not wanting to piss off Sony or a fanboy.

C8 going Into HDR away obvious and was as if a light bulb is turned on. The A1 HDR sucks so bad you have to go into the menu to make sure it’s HDR! Absolutely worthless

I do, I was screwed by a Sony they replaced my A1 with one with banding and said it’s fits within the spec. The HDR on a Sony A1 is absolutely worthless and anyone who says it’s not is working for the press and not wanting to piss off Sony or a fanboy.

C8 going Into HDR away obvious and was as if a light bulb is turned on. The A1 HDR sucks so bad you have to go into the menu to make sure it’s HDR! Absolutely worthless
And then you still can’t tell from the picture if it’s HDR or not.

I'm off to find a football forum to complain how the sport is TOTALLY unplayable. I bought a football and it burst, so now I'm kicking around a useless, defective product. Football SUCKS..how any one can play it is beyond me...

You won't understand the above. But this is how you sound...

Ps. If there's any way of blocking users, any advice would be very much appreciated. You're the most immature, naive person i've ever encountered here and I'm sick to death of hearing you weeping over the fact you got a crap panel.

You're even dimmer than your old A1...

I'm off to find a football forum to complain how the sport is TOTALLY unplayable. I bought a football and it burst, so now I'm kicking around a useless, defective product. Football SUCKS..how any one can play it is beyond me...

You won't understand the above. But this is how you sound...

Ps. If there's any way of blocking users, any advice would be very much appreciated. You're the most immature, naive person i've ever encountered here and I'm sick to death of hearing you weeping over the fact you got a crap panel.

You're even dimmer than your old A1...
Click on the profile link and click ignore :thumbsdow I’ve got about 10 on my list and it’s so peaceful now, not to see the sewage the post

He's really getting tiring now. He got a dodgy tv therefore by his logic all Sony A1's are equally broken and there is a need to mention this on any OLED related discussion. I don't even like the A1 but he's still doing my head in.

What ??? sr20 why you dont like the A1 ?? Its super sexy and has beast sound, beautiful picture. Really I am shocked. The Af9 is also very sexy and super sound. Get yourself one

What ??? sr20 why you dont like the A1 ?? Its super sexy and has beast sound, beautiful picture. Really I am shocked. The Af9 is also very sexy and super sound. Get yourself one

I'm sure that the AF9 will be the best OLED available, but the styling spoils it for me. I prefer my screens to be a few inches off the ground on a pedestal stand or some legs. With the A1/AF9 I would be looking down on the tv unless I buy a taller stand. Also the price premium over the LG C8 and Pana will be too much for me to stomach....

No doubt it will be the best OLED until April 2019...

Personally i'm now holding out for TV's with HDMI 2.1

Probably, 65B6 will last fine til then :)

Apparently there is a downloable update to USB on the Sony support website that will fix the HDR dimming issue.

Just download the zip take the file out of it and copy to a blank USB, shove it in the telly and the TV will automatically copy the update over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom