Sony A8 4K OLED TV available now in Europe - news discussion

Sony A8 and A89: 2020 OLED TV prices
Store availability is expected soon. According to list prices:
KD-55A8 (55 "): 2,199 euros
KD-65A8 (65 "): 3,199 euros
KD-55A89 (55 "): 2,199 euros
KD-65A89 (65 "): 3,199 euros

So it's lower spec or Similar to the AG9 but more Money

Ah I see it's £2799 good price and I'm annoyed now as I was just pulling the trigger on an AG9. This seems the same apart from having a couple of extras. Might have to go for this one

No spoke to someone at Sony, its an AG9 with a couple of extra features. Ag9 will have new processor and 2.1 hdmi but probably not here till next year

No spoke to someone at Sony, its an AG9 with a couple of extra features. Ag9 will have new processor and 2.1 hdmi but probably not here till next year
Well Sony are going to have to be careful here , as you stated the AG9 replacement (A9H) has been pushed back until next year , so the AG9 is staying as the top of the range Master Series set this year , yet if the A8 performs better at a very close price point people are obviously going to buy that instead !!

It may work in my favour though , I,m getting my faulty AF9 swapped out on Tuesday for an AG9 , now if you look at the warranty t&c it states that you may get a factory certified (ie refurbished set) as a replacement , when I spoke to the service centre dealing with mine , I was told that as far as they are aware my replacement is a brand new sealed retail unit , which leads me to think that Sony are giving out new stock to get rid of an excess of AG9 sets.

A8 is better value and even the same spec as AG9, which continued from last year and poor value imo.

Not only A8 has the same spec as the AG9 but importantly has X-Motion clarity for the first time on OLED, which AG9 does not have, and not to mention far more expensive.

Wrong, sir. You are confusing/melding the (2019/2020) AG9 or US A9G with the ("not gonna happen in 2019") AH9 or US A9H.

Wrong, sir. You are confusing/melding the (2019/2020) AG9 or US A9G with the ("not gonna happen in 2019") AH9 or US A9H.
Unless they launch it at IFA in September ready for the PS5 launch?

I thought about waiting for the A8 since it was similarly spec'd to the AG9 and was a new model with X-Motion Clarity etc and possibly the backlit remote. However, I'm not convinced XMClarity is going to better than what is in AG9 (since it replaces the motion engine) and we don't know yet if BFI120 will be offered. Also, the backlit remote is apparently only available on A87/89 specific models - sounds like a right hassle....who will get exclusivity of these models?

But the decider for me is that the AG9 still has a far superior sound system and I will be using TV sound for quite a while until I get a nice AV setup. Also it is a Master Series, which seems to be better extended support over time. And I got a really good price for it.

Really interested to see how the A8 performs though and how it compares. No doubt it is a great TV.

Well this is indeed a very worthwhile discussion (AG9 vs. AH8). I hope Phil Hinton will rescue we fellows “on the fence” with one of his typically outstanding full reviews, SOONER than later !

I was all about to buy the AG9 and I asked my Sony friend which I should buy and he said AH8.

I personally despise the “duck feet” on this AH8, but it looks to be slightly SUPERIOR to the AG9 (or A9G in the US), from early reliable US review sources.
The motion clarity is one + aspect. Slightly CLEANER screen showing. Apparently positive improvements made by Sony.
Just hating on that infernal duck feet look ! Ugh.

I personally despise the “duck feet” on this AH8, but it looks to be slightly SUPERIOR to the AG9 (or A9G in the US), from early reliable US review sources.
The motion clarity is one + aspect. Slightly CLEANER screen showing. Apparently positive improvements made by Sony.
Just hating on that infernal duck feet look ! Ugh.
Slightly less duck-like feet are available on the A85 variant. Apparently there are also A87 and A89 variants, but no idea what they look like.

1A49CA3F-085D-45A4-B2CA-F2D7A72E18E1.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom