Sony A8 4K OLED TV available now in Europe - news discussion

It seems the A85 is available only at Currys at the moment, so I suspect it may be exclusive to them. Guess that removes the A85 from my shortlist!

The A8 stand has the advantage of being able to convert so that a soundbar can be installed under the TV. Doesn't look like you can do that with the A85 stand.

This might be old news; the A85 variants are available from Currys and Sony Centres, having the straight out feet, this has the advantage the feet are 85.5cm apart versus ~100cm for the John Lewis A8.

For people going for the A8 the feet have two positions, the higher one can support a sound bar, see picture here

Hi folks, just had a 55" A8 delivered today and have yet to get it set up. I can see a selection of 'best picture settings' guides for the TV online but is there one which people seem to rate as the best? Perhaps there isn't much in it. It would be good to have a solid starting point I can tweak as time goes by. TIA!

Hi folks, just had a 55" A8 delivered today and have yet to get it set up. I can see a selection of 'best picture settings' guides for the TV online but is there one which people seem to rate as the best? Perhaps there isn't much in it. It would be good to have a solid starting point I can tweak as time goes by. TIA!
Put it into Custom setting , make sure the light sensor and eco mode is turned off and take it from there

Sounds like a good starting point, thanks!

Put it into Custom setting , make sure the light sensor and eco mode is turned off and take it from there

I have switched to Custom and disabled the light sensor but can't find where to switch off eco mode?

My 55” A8H arrived today and I think I’ve got the settings dialled in fine. Just looking for a bit of help with with the “Peak Luminance” control when viewing SDR as I’m seeing very different recommendations depending where you look. RTings recommend setting to High and adjust Brightness to suit. Recommended settings on AVS Forum suggest setting Peak Luminance to “Off” and a Brightness setting of 40.

I’ve currently got Peak Luminance set to High with Brightness set to 20 (for SDR) which looks good to me in a darkened room but just wondering what the concensus of opinion is for this control?

I’ve done a bit more investigating and tuning wrt Peak Luminance. After a bit of acclimatisation with my previous settings, I found things a bit too bright in a darkened room and ended up with brightness down around 10 - 15 with Peak Luminance set to High, and also a bit too contrasty and digital looking. So I’m now using Peak Luminance = Low, Brightness = 28, which to my eyes looks a bit more organic, natural and cinematic.

I‘m curious to know what kind of peak nit level this is. I’ll see if I can find an iPhone app that might give me a rough indication.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom