Question Sony A9F versus LG C8 (If same price)

mahoneit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sony A9F versus LG C8 (If same price)

All,

I'm having a very difficult time deciding which TV to get, but am able to get either TV for the same price right now (due to personal circumstances). Virtually all of my TV viewing is done in a dark room setting, and is either tv shows or movies (not gaming). I will be using a sound bar so sound quality on the TV is less important than picture quality.

A few questions:

(1) How does the motion handling compare between the two TVs? I know Sony is known for better motion in general, but I can't tell a difference when viewing the TVs in a store setting. In particular, in long panning shots, do either suffer from judder or other issues when source material is less than 4K? I’ve read that certainowners of LG OLEDS are disappointed with motion but in the store source material I can’t a difference (although I’m generally quite distracted by judder).

(2) Does Oreo suffer from similar bugs as previous versions of Android? I have a Sony now and Android TV is the worst thing about the TV.

(3) Whites in the store on the A9F don't look as bright or white as the C8, rather they look blue compared to C8. Is this due to the store setting/environment? I've read that the A9F has incredibly accurate color.

(4) Brightness - I know the A9F doesn't get as bright as the C8 but do owners of the A9F think its sufficiently bright in a dark room setting?

(5) Does webOS typically work without issues requiring reset/force stop of apps?

Really appreciate your thoughts and insights. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Sorry for the multiple posts, but two other quick questions:

(6) which model upscales better?

(7) I know both LG and Sony have said 2019 models will support itunes, but which 2018 model is most likely to get it through a firmware update.

Thank and any other general comments you have would be helpful.

@wezzywebb has owned both these tv's..

Sony all the way for me, better upscaling and motion.

Great questions, I’m in a similar boat (though still flirting with the dark side too! :laugh:). I think I know the answers from being on the C8! and AF9 boards but there are a couple of people on here that can tell you from first hand experience having had both sets.

@wezzywebb has owned both these tv's..

Sony all the way for me, better upscaling and motion.
Indeed I have young James :D.
Sony wins in almost every department apart from user interface , Lg wins that, but everything else the Sony is just so much better.:)

Indeed I have young James :D.
Sony wins in almost every department apart from user interface , Lg wins that, but everything else the Sony is just so much better.:)

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone (especially to a newbie). @wezzywebb, how bad is Oreo still? Does it still affect the operation of the tv (e.g., basic apps like Netflix not functioning, or tv requiring a full reboot for no apparent reason?).

How significant is the difference between the motion handling of the two sets? Is the judder on C8 noticeable compared to A9F?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone (especially to a newbie). @wezzywebb, how bad is Oreo still? Does it still affect the operation of the tv (e.g., basic apps like Netflix not functioning, or tv requiring a full reboot for no apparent reason?).

How significant is the difference between the motion handling of the two sets? Is the judder on C8 noticeable compared to A9F?

Thanks again.
Oreo works perfectly fine ,its snappy ,not had any crashes or anything like that so far .
Motion wise I didn't really have any issues with the C8 ,but having had the Sony a while now I can see a difference , also the Smooth Graduation setting works wonders even on low .
Honest opinion , if they are both the same price ,the AF9 is the superior set and the one to get :)

I've had the C8 and now the AF9 and as other people have said the AF9 is superior in every way apart from the OS , that's not to say there's anything wrong with the latest Android OS but WebOS is superior. No issue with the brightness of the AF9 , since the latest firmware update that's been put to bed , it's just an incredible picture, I mean it's good on the C8 but the AF9 takes things to another level

Wow glad to see so many people praising the Sony makes me feel better about wanting to return my C8 and pick up a new Sony when they release in a couple weeks. How does everyone feel about the A8F vs the C8 in terms of picture quality and processing? I don't care about the UI and sound and all that crap. If I'm dropping a bunch of money on a really nice TV, its all about image quality. The C8 I just picked up looks great in HDR obviously but streaming lower quality content really disappoints, and sounds like the Sony's are better. Now I'm just wondering if it need to buy a A9G to achieve better PQ or if the A8G will be a good enough option over the C8.

Wow glad to see so many people praising the Sony makes me feel better about wanting to return my C8 and pick up a new Sony when they release in a couple weeks. How does everyone feel about the A8F vs the C8 in terms of picture quality and processing? I don't care about the UI and sound and all that crap. If I'm dropping a bunch of money on a really nice TV, its all about image quality. The C8 I just picked up looks great in HDR obviously but streaming lower quality content really disappoints, and sounds like the Sony's are better. Now I'm just wondering if it need to buy a A9G to achieve better PQ or if the A8G will be a good enough option over the C8.

@Bradg93 Sorry to hear you’re disappointed with the picture on the C8 for lower quality content. Is that because of upscaling issues or motion or some other issue?

Honestly it’s mostly the colour gradation, did really get much better when I played with noise reduction settings. And yes also due to motion and upscaling when watching lower quality streams. Lots of lower quality content looks better on my Sony 900E. Hopefully not just due to the nature of OLED. Like I said HDR looks jaw dropping but unfortunately most content isn’t HDR and won’t be for a while.

I would deafly go for the AF9 or AG9 over the AG8

Due to the sony 9 series has 4gb ram vs 2GB in the sony 8 series and also due to I seen a fair few reports of screen dimming on the 8 series plus the faster cpu processor will most likely help with the picture quality and processing....

Also another big reason is that the AG8 only has 2 full speed HDMI ports where all 4 are full speed on the AF9/AG9 ;)

Thanks for your help everyone. I took the plunge and purchased a 55 inch Sony A9F. It’s being delivered this weekend. Needed to ensure it was set up in time for the Battle of Winterfell.

Thanks for your help everyone. I took the plunge and purchased a 55 inch Sony A9F. It’s being delivered this weekend. Needed to ensure it was set up in time for the Battle of Winterfell.

Nice one!

Look forward to seeing you in the AF9 thread :thumbsup:

Can anyone shed some light on the DV issue for the Netflix built in tv app on the Af9? Is it still too dim? Is the DV bright setting much better? Has there been a firmware fix? I read something today on reddit that other Sony models recently got a firmware update to help resolve this issue.

I’m reluctant to get a 4K ATV yet (even though I read this may resolve the issue) as I have a suspicion that Sony may add iTunes app support to at least the high end 2018 models in the next few months following the marketing push for 2019 TVs.

Thanks for your help.

Can anyone shed some light on the DV issue for the Netflix built in tv app on the Af9? Is it still too dim? Is the DV bright setting much better? Has there been a firmware fix? I read something today on reddit that other Sony models recently got a firmware update to help resolve this issue.

I’m reluctant to get a 4K ATV yet (even though I read this may resolve the issue) as I have a suspicion that Sony may add iTunes app support to at least the high end 2018 models in the next few months following the marketing push for 2019 TVs.

Thanks for your help.
@clydebest called Sony to ask the very question, Apple will not be coming to the AF9 but will the AG9 (supposedly)

@clydebest called Sony to ask the very question, Apple will not be coming to the AF9 but will the AG9 (supposedly)
Yes i was told the AG9 will be getting the Apple app , but what that actually means as there seems to be a few different apps... as you quoted not the AF9 also the 4K Firestick will not be getting the Apple apps according to Amazon even though it has been widely reported that it would.

Yes i was told the AG9 will be getting the Apple app , but what that actually means as there seems to be a few different apps... as you quoted not the AF9 also the 4K Firestick will not be getting the Apple apps according to Amazon even though it has been widely reported that it would.
So .. AF9 is a "maybe" :laugh:

So .. AF9 is a "maybe" :laugh:
Mate i actually took your advice on the fact that it was coming to the Firestick and sent the ATV BACK... now i will have to buy another one:facepalm::blush::censored:

Mate i actually took your advice on the fact that it was coming to the Firestick and sent the ATV BACK... now i will have to buy another one:facepalm::blush::censored:
apple say that apple tv app is coming to roku and amazon firestick.. it was in their press conference

Thanks for your help.

No it's not too dim now , even DV dark is fine in the latest firmware :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom