Sony AF9 OLED TV Owners and discussion Thread

Yep to my eyes the PQ is crisper and more detailed .. with no changes to settings done .. the IPLAYER is a marked improvement.

Running on the update, mine has been bug free now for days. So it seems - for me atleast - the key was giving up on running my devices over eARC. Perhaps also in combination with disabling passthrough, although that alone didn’t do the trick.

It was a major hassle diagnosing the issue - and the frequent loss of audio and audio drops was very bothersome. In my case, that wasn’t worth it just for the new menus.

However, things are ticking along again, and it’s back to enjoying the stunning picture (which I’m still marvelling at the effect of calibration). A major nicety of the update I’m enjoying day to day is full use of the AG9 remote in Bluetooth mode. Lovely remote, and lovely not needing to bother with line of sight.

IPlayer still glitchy. I’m watching old silent witness episodes. Before the update all was fine. Since the update about 15 mins into watching an episode screen goes black and I have to exit out of iplayer. Also iplayer doesn’t load now and again. All other apps are fine. I watch iplayer every night so it see this a lot. Hopefully they will bring an update out for it.
IPlayer working fine on mine , just had it on for 2 hours or so ,no issues

Thought I was having a senior moment until I read your post. Not what I was expecting from the update.:)
Same here , pretty certain it is not just a placebo, as i was never expecting any PQ jump .. but i am seeing just that .. but then again i am 58:blush:

One thing I have noticed since this update is when I switch inputs I lose sound to my soundbar, it’s simple to get it back just switch to internal speakers and then back but it’s a bit of a pain

Just a tip for those having issues. Remember to open google play and accept App/System updates. Even though i set it to Auto update, I still have to do it manually.

All good then ?

Yep looking good so far. Not noticing any immediate change in image quality but the update has been fine otherwise. Quite surprised that it even auto detected my bluetooth headphones without me needing to manually add them again.

One initial scare was when I switched to my Apple TV and I noticed the brightness on max, which concerned me as I thought it had reset the TV settings, but it had actually reset the ATV display settings, which is far less troublesome to put right. All my calibrated settings seem there.

Don't know what you guys were worrying about to be honest...

I am about 18hours away from the 2000hour auto screen cycle refresh.
Does it happen whilst viewing or when you put into standby?
Any notification on when safe to power on the tv afterwards?

I am about 18hours away from the 2000hour auto screen cycle refresh.
Does it happen whilst viewing or when you put into standby?
Any notification on when safe to power on the tv afterwards?
I haven’t reached that yet but was asked to do an auto refresh last week by the tv. Have you done an auto refresh already?

Mmm so my set informed me that it needed a panel refresh today , around 2 weeks after already doing one !! I really hope it hasn't changed the fantastic picture the last one produced

Does anyone know how you delete iPlayer? It’s not listed in the google play store. Is it part of Sony select?

Last edited:
Found my first issue with the new menus - I use my AF9 controller to control my PS4 and unfortunately there are some apps that require controller buttons to access certain areas - eg the Now TV app requires you to press the triangle button on the PS4 controller to access search. Before you could do this but I cannot for the life of me find this option, as using the action menu now doesn't even bring up HDMI - CEC controls, as it did previously.

Any ideas?

Having issues with Apple Airplay 2. Was fiddling yesterday and tried watching a movie through the TV via my phone. There was no picture. Then when I tried to switch back I had major issues switching back to Sky Q via my receiver. Restarted everything. Then couldn’t switch to Apple TV from Sky Q. Then the opposite happened. Done it about 3 times now despite restarts. Convinced it all started when I Airplayed to the TV. Could be a receiver switching issue granted. Still bloody annoying! Gonna hold off on Airplay for now. 😩

Does anyone know how you delete iPlayer? It’s not listed in the google play store. Is it part of Sony select?
I think it is.

Really impressed today by built in speakers watching - of all things - Angry Birds on Netflix for the little one. Eg, around the 25min mark; the bass in the big birds voice is really impressive. And throughout - there’s some great examples of cinematic bass. All with Dolby Audio and default settings (EQ etc).

Has me thinking the native Netflix app is getting the higher bitrate 5.1 streams. Perhaps this came on when it started supporting Atmos for the built-in speakers.

Well as you wrote it's not in the Google Play Store .. and it's positioned alongside Sony Select S0 i doubt you can delete and reinstall it.

So ,as I said earlier my set decided it needed a 2nd panel refresh in 2 weeks or so ,here’s what the 5% slide looks like now
BD7DECA0-1283-4D62-8A31-FC163C2F2D49.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom