Question Sony BRAVIA KD77AG9BU or LG OLED77CX6LA?

misterS3

Established Member
Reaction score
We've just moved house and looking to pick our main cinema / tv and occasional games TV.

We've narrowed it down to these 2. Sony BRAVIA KD77AG9BU or LG OLED77CX6LA

We will be keeping this TV for 6 years at least (Richer Sounds warranty) so future proofing is important.

One issue i have noted is that the Sony doesn't have HDMI 2.1 with VRR / ALLM. And i can't find any information on Sony firmware update applying to that model. Is it that big a deal? There's a £500 difference but i've agreed to purchase now with any reduction for Black Friday refunded.

All advice and help gratefully received.

Main benefit to the Sony compared to the LG is with motion processing and built in sound. With the Sony you are paying extra for its built in acoustic surface system.

If you already have a sound set up, you are best looking at the newer LG, although since its a 2020 model compared to 2019 its pricing is currently on the high side.

It would be a good idea to wait for Black Friday, Xmas or Jan sales before thinking about picking up a 2020 model.

Only time I'd personally favor the Sony over the LG is if sport was primary viewing compared to everything else, or if I was shopping for a TV that had good built in sound rather than using separate sound.
We will be keeping this TV for 6 years at least (Richer Sounds warranty) so future proofing is important.
This really seals the deal, the CX is the most future proof TV you can buy today. Its predecessor, the C9 is also a good TV if you can still find one. Future proofing is hard with an industry that moves so fast, but at least with the CX in 5 years time you won't regret buying a television with an older HDMI revision.

EDIT* a bit more clarification on what I mean by 'paying extra' with the AG9. I know the TVs are currently the same price, but you have to take into consideration the AG9 is a 2019 model toward the end of its shelf life, and therefore is heaviliy discounted. By comparison the CX is a new 2020 model, which should technically retail for less than the AG9, but is priced high because it hasn't long been released. In an ideal world you want to wait for the price of the CX to come down to a better number before buying.

Worth noting as well that all these OLEDs use the same panels from LG, they make tweaks year to year, but there's no difference in picture quality outside of picture processing between the most expensive and cheapest OLED. This is a lot different to shopping for LCD TVs, where one can have drastically different picture quality to the next.

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm also getting a home cinema system at same time.

Thanks for your detailed and comprehensive answer. Ideally we would wait but I've had stg4 bowel cancer (currently NED) so my life expectancy isn't great. And hence time is of greater value to money. I mean pre diagnosis i would have struggled to spend £1k on a TV 😂.
Eg my TVs from the old house at Sony 3d TVs! 46 and 43 inch TVs I bought and got free PS3s with! New house is much bigger. So we need TV bigger TVs. I was happy with led. But the boss saw the oleds in Curry's and much preferred them. So we ended up with a 65inch Phillips from Richer Sounds for £1600! And it looks amazing even though we've just put it on a side table for now. Weird thing is when she came round to mine on an early date she hated HD because it makes the actors look weird and the effect is greater with Oled. But she still prefers it!!

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm also getting a home cinema system at same time.

Thanks for your detailed and comprehensive answer. Ideally we would wait but I've had stg4 bowel cancer (currently NED) so my life expectancy isn't great. And hence time is of greater value to money. I mean pre diagnosis i would have struggled to spend £1k on a TV 😂.
Eg my TVs from the old house at Sony 3d TVs! 46 and 43 inch TVs I bought and got free PS3s with! New house is much bigger. So we need TV bigger TVs. I was happy with led. But the boss saw the oleds in Curry's and much preferred them. So we ended up with a 65inch Phillips from Richer Sounds for £1600! And it looks amazing even though we've just put it on a side table for now. Weird thing is when she came round to mine on an early date she hated HD because it makes the actors look weird and the effect is greater with Oled. But she still prefers it!!
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis.
The LG CX is probably the TV of the two that will wow you the most with its picture quality, but the Sony does have the edge if you enjoy watching sport.

OLEDs certainly are on another level of picture quality, and either TV I'm sure you will be delighted with.

Your wife is right in a way; it was never a good thing to see the likes of Jeremy Clarkson in HD, but I think the films and nature documentaries made up for that!

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis.
The LG CX is probably the TV of the two that will wow you the most with its picture quality, but the Sony does have the edge if you enjoy watching sport.

OLEDs certainly are on another level of picture quality, and either TV I'm sure you will be delighted with.

Your wife is right in a way; it was never a good thing to see the likes of Jeremy Clarkson in HD, but I think the films and nature documentaries made up for that!

Thanks. I'm still a tight so and so. So double the price for the 77 over the 65 is hard to swallow!! So I keep swinging back and forth. 😁

Mostly movies and TV. Occasionally football eg Champ League (I do the fantasy thing with friends)

So the CX is in. And if it drops on Black Friday I'll get the price matched so all good. Shame Phillips don't make a 77 for price and I actually like the ambilight ( I know must ppl turn it off)

Came across this post, when I was researching the same thing. I've installed quite a few of the Sonys and love the TV, especially as its got Android OS. We have loaded the CCTV and other apps on the TV for the customer as well so they can view this. I haven't seen the new LG 1st hand yet, but I do agree that it is the best bang for your buck at the moment in your scenario. You can always get an nVidia shield or Apple TV for extra apps or if the LG ones go out of date. Sorry for being cheeky, but we can usually supply cheaper than Richer sound and depending on your location can install as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom