Sony Bravia ZD9 HDR Owners Thread & Buying advice

@Cocksure I can't help with the instructions, but don't forget to create a signature to show off your 75ZD9!

How long did it take folks on here to get use to the incredible brightness of this tv? I have had to turn the brightness level down to 1 to cope with it :eek:

Also I'm getting an occasional audio drop for a fraction of a second when I use the arc system, has anyone else had this issue?

I'm using premium high speed hdmi certified cables but they are only cheap ones. Sevenoaks are recommending that I upgrade them to audio quest ones. Would this help?

Revisiting my old post on thunder fly invasion.

Sony replaced the display with no questions asked. The replacement is brand new, so thumbs up to Sony for doing so!

BTW,apparently Sony are one of the only manufacturers that replace displays due this type of problem, so kudos to them.

Try mood lighting behind the zd9. 2.0 spec hdmi cable to be on the safe side.make/price of hdmi makes no difference at all, it either works or it doesn't.i have used chord active hdmi cables and free one's-no difference in picture quality or sound quality.Amazon's own brand meet all requirements.cheers.

Revisiting my old post on thunder fly invasion.

Sony replaced the display with no questions asked. The replacement is brand new, so thumbs up to Sony for doing so!

BTW,apparently Sony are one of the only manufacturers that replace displays due this type of problem, so kudos to them.

The only problem is that my replacement set has some serious flashlighting on the top part of the screen :(

Looks like I'm about to enter the panel lottery game... here we go again ..

Any news of Dolby Vision update yet?

Any news of Dolby Vision update yet?
Patients grass hopper ;)

It's listed on the website now under the specs of the TV, so it is coming :)

On the US forum a rep had said may/June so it can't be far off. My guess would be end of this month or beginning of October.

Are you feeding your TV direct or is it by an av receiver/processor? In which case have you checked that an update is coming for that?

Are you feeding your TV direct or is it by an av receiver/processor? In which case have you checked that an update is coming for that?
My denon receiver, an X2300, received a Dolby Vision update last week.
Now all we need is:
(1) The ZD9 to get the firmware update.
(2) A decent UHD player with DV at a reasonable price - perhaps a replacement model for the Sony X800?
(3) Some more DV content.

The new Apple TV with DV support sounds like that may be the first DV source for many of us.

Patients grass hopper ;)

It's listed on the website now under the specs of the TV, so it is coming :)

On the US forum a rep had said may/June so it can't be far off. My guess would be end of this month or beginning of October.

Thanks I’ll try!

Only feeding Direct so just need the update.

I’ve an Oppo, some DV content and an Apple 4K TV being delivered I’m Friday.

Want to see what all the fuss of about!

Beyond frustrated and totally disgusted with Sony.

After telling them I'm not happy with their decision that my banding is 'within spec' and they will not be offering a replacement, they raised it with their complaints dept (Which according to the person I was corresponding with, mysteriously doesn't have a contact number or email for me to liaise directly with). She rang me yesterday to say that having looked at my pics again, unfortunately they still won't offer a replacement. She said I could however have an engineer come out to inspect it, but if no fault is found I will have to pay a call out fee. I asked how much that would be and she was unable to tell me, but that an engineer would call me within four hours and he would be able to tell me before I committed to it.

As of now (6pm the next day) I've still had no call, but laughably, a text saying my repair is booked for 20/9/17 (today) and an engineer will call me before 9am! The text also gave me a number to ring the repair company (JTM contracts UK Ltd) if needed. This number turns out to be a Sony one!

Just a complete joke this. If an engineer eventually come to inspect it, I pretty much know he's going to back up what Sony have told me - that it's within spec. So having spent two and a half grand on this tv, I'm going to have to just accept this clear, visible obvious fault. As an avid footy and cricket viewer, I'm at the stage where I don't even want to turn it on and watch a match as the issue is so noticeable.

Shame on you Sony.

That banding looks pretty clear in those pictures. I don't get the 'within spec' thing really - if you're spending thousands on a TV the QC should surely be very high. I appreciate that it's nearly impossible for it to look 100% perfect, but even in your pics the dark patches are apparent. I imagine with live panning content they are very distracting.

Beyond frustrated and totally disgusted with Sony.

After telling them I'm not happy with their decision that my banding is 'within spec' and they will not be offering a replacement, they raised it with their complaints dept (Which according to the person I was corresponding with, mysteriously doesn't have a contact number or email for me to liaise directly with). She rang me yesterday to say that having looked at my pics again, unfortunately they still won't offer a replacement. She said I could however have an engineer come out to inspect it, but if no fault is found I will have to pay a call out fee. I asked how much that would be and she was unable to tell me, but that an engineer would call me within four hours and he would be able to tell me before I committed to it.

As of now (6pm the next day) I've still had no call, but laughably, a text saying my repair is booked for 20/9/17 (today) and an engineer will call me before 9am! The text also gave me a number to ring the repair company (JTM contracts UK Ltd) if needed. This number turns out to be a Sony one!

Just a complete joke this. If an engineer eventually come to inspect it, I pretty much know he's going to back up what Sony have told me - that it's within spec. So having spent two and a half grand on this tv, I'm going to have to just accept this clear, visible obvious fault. As an avid footy and cricket viewer, I'm at the stage where I don't even want to turn it on and watch a match as the issue is so noticeable.

Shame on you Sony.
Get in touch with CEO of sony europe .worked for me

Interesting. Can you elaborate?
My 75xd94 had Nothing but picture issues with motion so after sony saying it's in spec i found the Europe division director email address and sent the email with pictures and how disappointed I was with customer service. Then 2 days later
Somebody under kris Dr Pauw rang me and arranged either a replacement or different model .i went for the 65zd9 as I was intending getting a projector , size drop didn't matter .and I've been happy with the tv since November last year .he sent me a letter with apology also .

Last edited:
@DanManLare Good luck with Sony. I entirely empathise with you. I had similar experience with Sony. They were not only unhelpful but they did allow the Authorized Repair Centre to give me a letter when they inspected my TV (65'' HX923). I eventually was able to get my money via my Credit Card. One of the worst customer experience ever.

My 75xd94 had Nothing but picture issues with motion so after sony saying it's in spec i found the Europe division director email address and sent the email with pictures and how disappointed I was with customer service. Then 2 days later
Somebody under kris Dr Pauw rang me and arranged either a replacement or different model .i went for the 65zd9 as I was intending getting a projector , size drop didn't matter .and I've been happy with the tv since November last year .he sent me a letter with apology also .

@DanManLare Good luck with Sony. I entirely empathise with you. I had similar experience with Sony. They were not only unhelpful but they did allow the Authorized Repair Centre to give me a letter when they inspected my TV (65'' HX923). I eventually was able to get my money via my Credit Card. One of the worst customer experience ever.

Thanks chaps. Still waiting on a call from the engineer. If I get no joy there then I'll try to contact the CEO directly.

Get in touch with CEO of sony europe .worked for me

Can you let me know his email address?

My 75ZD9 had some serious flashlighting which turned into a crack (first a red line appeared, then I made it worse by touching it).

Sony said ‘physical damage’ and that was that.

3k for a screen replacement!

Luckily I took pictures before the physical damage appeared, but that didn’t help me (physical damage is physical damage), so I’m left with a TV that has a nasty vertical line and an LCD blotch at the top!

This was a replacement display (my first one had thunder fly attack), so irrespective of the physical damage I can prove that the TV was faulty at delivery.

The front line staff follow a script, so I need to speak/email someone who can assess the problem without taking a black/white stance.

My only regret was touching the area which expanded the fracture!

I’ll fight this one as Sony are being completely unreasonable.

@DanManLare and @ariharry I'm very sorry to hear of the problems that you two are having with your ZD9s. Particularly as I'm hoping to buy one of the last 75ZD9s early next year (hoping that prices will fall in the meantime).

@DanManLare and @ariharry I'm very sorry to hear of the problems that you two are having with your ZD9s. Particularly as I'm hoping to buy one of the last 75ZD9s early next year (hoping that prices will fall in the meantime).

Not to put you off, but this is the first time I’ve experienced such grief with any product that I’ve owned, especially when I’m told ‘tough, the 5 year warranty you thought you had is null and void because you broke the TV!’

I’ll see what happens next, though the thought of throwing a 6k TV in the skip is causing sleepless nights!

@ariharry Threaten to take Sony to small claims court. I did that, with the help of Citizens' Advice Bureau, five years ago when Currys wouldn't accept that a plasma that they had sold me wasn't very good. Just before the case was due to go to court they sent me a cheque for a full refund.

@ariharry Threaten to take Sony to small claims court. I did that, with the help of Citizens' Advice Bureau, five years ago when Currys wouldn't accept that a plasma that they had sold me wasn't very good. Just before the case was due to go to court they sent me a cheque for a full refund.

Yes, I was thinking about that.

Start with the CEO, and failing that, seek legal advice.

Let’s see how this one plays out...

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the tv to display what type of hdr signal it is receiving? I know that the tv goes into hdr mode, but the info button doesn't confirm that it is receiving such a signal

hi, i just got a 65" ZD9 and loving it, its the 1st HDR TV i owned. but i noticed when i lauch netflix app and then when i select a HDR program like Jessica Jones the screen goes very dark/dim even though the brightness says max and on normal tv i have it set to 15 and that is brighter. i also noticed that there seems to be lots of noise when playing the netflix HDR programs? is there anyway to get it brighter and get rid of the noise?normal sky tv and youtube is fine

Home page - settings-external inputs-HDMI signal format.set to enhance 4k hdmi signal format.check out marco polo (netflix hdr)also try the film war machine.some poor hdr implementation on netflix daredevil series 1 poor ect,unless you like noise of course.not the fault of the zd9.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom