Sony buys Insomniac Games

Atmos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sony’s acquisition of Insomniac turns the PS4 and PSVR maker into the owner of upcoming PC VR game Stormland and a host of other VR and AR projects.

Stormland is still going on the oculus store but I would like to think it will go on other store fronts as well.

It was only a matter of time before these Exclusivity shenanigans blew up in someone’s face.

It was only a matter of time before these Exclusivity shenanigans blew up in someone’s face.

How is that blowing up in anyone's face? Stormlands is still being released on the Oculus Store and as far as we know so are the other exclusives that Insomniac have developed for them. The only thing this is stopping is Oculus funding any more exclusives for the Oculus Store in the future from Insomniac.

And why is it okay for Sony to fund exclusives for their headset and Store and not Oculus or any other headset manufacturer?

I don't have a problem with Sony having exclusives because the more people that buy headsets of any kind on any platform the more chance there is of AAA publishers bringing multiplatform AAA games to VR.

Exclusives are VERY important for the industry.

This isn't the first time that a AAA indie developer has been bought by one of the big boys, the same thing has happened to Respawn when EA bought them not so long ago. That purchase is also not going to affect the release of an exclusive developed for the Oculus Store because platform holders and developers have contractual obligations.

Blowing up in someone's face lmfao :eek::laugh::rotfl::D

lol here we go again. Someone funded a game, is that shenanigans? I think not.
If anything being purchased by the major player in the console market will lock things down even more.

So you guys think this is good for Oculus? A company who’s store is built off the back of exclusives?

If this deal is good for Oculus why did Oculus pay for exclusives in the first place?

If this deal is bad for Oculus why don’t people just admit it instead of pretending it’s not bad?

It can’t be both good and bad. Or do Forums suspend reality?

Its a bit soon to tell. It cant be a bad thing for Insomniac. Does this mean they will be locked to Sony and not any other platforms or store fronts? Nothing has been confirmed. Even the likes of Microsoft are releasing on other stores (Steam), so I don't see that Sony will be any different going forwards. They seem to have opened up a bit of late with the online aspect, so I don't see any problems here apart from the new found security for the staff at Insomniac.

It's going to be interesting to see whether the likes of Edge Of Nowhere and the other games that Oculus have funded for Store exclusivity remain on the Store. All depends on what the original contracts look like I would have thought.

How dare they fund a game I couldn't less about!

It's going to be interesting to see whether the likes of Edge Of Nowhere and the other games that Oculus have funded for Store exclusivity remain on the Store. All depends on what the original contracts look like I would have thought.

I would hope they would get shared with the PSN at least. Edge of Nowhere is a nice experience and would work well with PSVR.

I would hope they would get shared with the PSN at least. Edge of Nowhere is a nice experience and would work well with PSVR.

Depends on the state of their contract I think. It wouldn't surprise me if Oculus had a buyout clause in there somewhere.

Someone from Oculus mentioned sharing exclusives with Sony not so long ago. Perhaps it was in reference to this? Or it could be unrelated of course.

I'd love to see Resident Evil 7 coming to the Oculus Store, but I think it NOT coming to PC VR is more down to the Capcom board being a bit dim and not liking money rather than a contractual restriction.

Feral Rites is also excellent and one that seems to fly under everyone's radar for some reason.

will remain on the store for sure........... hopefully will get a psvr release too. not sure how true it is but i read oculus were happy to let them keep their own IP and so are in theory free to release their games on other platforms.

Last edited:
No doubt its good for Insomniac.

Yeah you’re here to troll me whoop whoop!!!

Actually I've returned here after a LONG hiatus. I was a member here well over 10 years ago but forgot my old username and email address so I had to create a new account. And the difference between you and me is that I haven't been banned from a forum and then created multiple accounts (which have subsequently all been banned) to troll a forum I've been banned from. :D

If I'm remembering correctly I originally created an account here asking about converting video files or something back in the 00s.

Okay, so to get back on topic, if Sony and Oculus DO end up sharing exclusives what do you guys want to see coming to the Oculus Store? I don't think they'll end up bringing their first or second party games to the Oculus Store but we could see some of their third party exclusives coming:

Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood
Deracine
Farpoint
Resident Evil 7 (pleasepleaseplease) :laugh:
The Inpatient
The Persistence

I don't think it will happen that way but the Astrobot game is highly rated. I couldn't care less about Resi 7, I`ve played the snot out of the pancake game.

I don't think it will happen that way but the Astrobot game is highly rated. I couldn't care less about Resi 7, I`ve played the snot out of the pancake game.

Astrobot would be cool but it's a first party title so I don't think it's likely to happen. I don't think we'll see Resident Evil 7 either because it was only a 1 year timed exclusive according to reports so it not coming to PC VR is down to Capcom being crap...I just put it there so I can dream lol :laugh::rotfl::laugh::rotfl:

+ 1 on astrobot, resi is a must but like already said that could come now if capcom wanted it.

lets just say i aint holding my breath however even tho i dont think it would harm sony or oculus if it happened, and indeed i thiink everyone would gain over all.

And I can't see how this is possibly bad for Oculus except that they won't be able to fund Insomniac to make any MORE games.

The current Oculus library hasn't got any smaller as far as I'm aware because all of their games are still there on the Oculus Store, and it isn't affecting Stormlands either because that's still being released.

Obviously I don't know the details of it but it seems fairly straightforward that if Oculus entered into a contract with a studio to produce a game, then that contract stands, no matter who owns the studio.

I guess one or two people just want to look for the negatives where Oculus are concerned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom