Sony HT-X8500 Owner/Comments/Reviews

After doing some digging it seems that having vertical s enabled whilst playing Atmos content will just make the sound bar re mix the Atmos content, the vertical engine (which is separate to vertical s) is what mixes Atmos and dts signals (and can’t be turned off, it’s automatic) so vertical s definitely should be off when playing Atmos content....... I think?

Test it and trust your ears! 😁

Hi guys

Great post. I've got a Sony HT 8500 hooked up via arc to my Samsung RU8000.

With Xbox one I get amazing Atmos.

When I'm on the TV's apps ie netlic or sky HD no dts or Atmos.

Does the engine just convert the sound to the best I can get? What setting should I have it on? Currently on PCM

Would Netflix have Atmos if they updated or is my TV the liability?

I have Sony HT 8500 with Samsung ru8000 does anyone had the Tv netlfix working with Atmos?

It is on that all greyed out but Dolby plus still only 5.1. any ideas? I wonder whether it's the sound bar or the TV. Maybe I sent one back or both?

Have you tried resetting the bar? Page 36 of the manual.

Is the content your playing definitely Atmos? You've also mentioned Sky HD, do you mean Sky Q?

Yes one day on Netflix lots of things had Atmos now zero. I have the old sky box so no Atmos there!!!!

That eliminates the soundbar as the problem then. Must be a setting of the TV?

What choices do you get on the TV for sound output?

When not on apps pcm only and then when in Netflix app double digital plus only

TV is only 2 weeks old maybe return for an replacement?

Might be worth checking the Samsung TV forum on here first.

I have a LG 55 B7V OLED, with just "ARC" (not eARC). Based on this thread, I'm really tempted to get the X8500.
Will I see a benefit from over my simple Sony HT-SF150?
Will my Sony UBP-X800, work through the TV and get output as Atmos? It currently outputs Atmos to my TV's internal speaker.
I know that Netflix also happily outputs Atmos on my TV's internal speaker.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I recently bought this soundbar and am unsure if this was the best choice for me. Primary because of the confusing information through the lights.

It seems like the input doesn’t change automatically and start up when tv starts, does it work for others?
I also find the subwoofer levels uneven.

I have a LG 55 B7V OLED, with just "ARC" (not eARC). Based on this thread, I'm really tempted to get the X8500.
Will I see a benefit from over my simple Sony HT-SF150?
Will my Sony UBP-X800, work through the TV and get output as Atmos? It currently outputs Atmos to my TV's internal speaker.
I know that Netflix also happily outputs Atmos on my TV's internal speaker.

Its huge upgrade over the HT-SF150... I personally upgraded from the HT-SF200 which is a little better than the SF150 and there is no comparison, its so much better. Its basically like going from a cheap basic entry level model to a quality mid/high level model. The build quality alone is a huge step up, you will really notice the sound quality difference and the added features (much better voice and night mode etc)

The SF150 like the SF200 is a sound bar meant for a smaller TV (up to 40inch)

I hope that helps... let me know if you have any other questions

Hi all,
I recently bought this soundbar and am unsure if this was the best choice for me. Primary because of the confusing information through the lights.

It seems like the input doesn’t change automatically and start up when tv starts, does it work for others?
I also find the subwoofer levels uneven.

I think you may need to explain the problems to us... What input doesnt change automatically? I think it probably depends on the TV you are plugging it into... Is your sound bar plugged into your ARC or eARC HDMI slot? If it is Check your TV's control settings, you should be able to set the tv to control the sound bar (turn it on and off). does your TV control the volume?

The information given by the lights is only very basic, it shouldnt really cause problems. The hdmi one will always be on (unless you connect by bluetooth to the tv), the 'Vertical S' one is on if you choose to activate its vertical sound capability, then the others light up depending on the signal it receives and also when you turn the volume up and down to notify you.

The soundbar works perfectly for me. I use a Sony XF9005 TV, the bar automatically turns on and off with the tv via ARC HDMI no problem, it also can control the volume seamlessly

I think you may need to explain the problems to us... What input doesnt change automatically? I think it probably depends on the TV you are plugging it into... Is your sound bar plugged into your ARC or eARC HDMI slot? If it is Check your TV's control settings, you should be able to set the tv to control the sound bar (turn it on and off). does your TV control the volume?

The information given by the lights is only very basic, it shouldnt really cause problems. The hdmi one will always be on (unless you connect by bluetooth to the tv), the 'Vertical S' one is on if you choose to activate its vertical sound capability, then the others light up depending on the signal it receives and also when you turn the volume up and down to notify you.

The soundbar works perfectly for me. I use a Sony XF9005 TV, the bar automatically turns on and off with the tv via ARC HDMI no problem, it also can control the volume seamlessly

Thank you for the answer and I am happy you are satisfied with it.
I had it in ARC on TV and could control volume, the problem was when having something connected to HDMI in it didn't automatically switched to TV if turned of and on, which made the TV-speakers start instead. I thought the lights were confusing and had to check manual quite often to understand them.

However, the deal-breaker for me was the primary muddy subwoofer and sometimes tinny sound.
I returned the soundbar and got a HK Multibeam 700.

I've given up using the arc connection with this. It keeps losing sound and only a switch off at the wall on the TV and bar fixes it. I know it's not the TV as its a new one and the bar did it on my old Sony. I've switched to optical for now. Anyone else had any similar issues with there's?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom