Sony KD-65XE9305 - OWNERS & GENERAL INTEREST THREAD

Morphyy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have the XE93 which I purchased from Currys and was delivered/installated 14th of April. £3,199 including the Sony X800 UHD HDR - Blu Ray player (2017 new model). I was going to buy this X800 Blu Ray Player anyway so happy with the offer.

I saw the XE93 and XE90 side by side at a Sony center in March, playing same content and similar settings. Sony did not have the offer at the time so i decided to wait. It was obvious that the XE93 had the superior picture, very noticably much more detail and brighter.

So far from 50+ hours viewing I can share the following from using the TV Native Android Apps (NETFLIX, AMAZON VIDEO, BBC iPLAYER, YOUTUBE, VEVO, VIMEO).

CALIBRATION SETTINGS:

I USED THE TV CALIBRATION SETTINGS MOSTLY BASED ON THE XE90 AVFORUMS YOU TUBE REVIEW.

ALSO CHECKED THE CALIBRATION SETTINGS FROM FLAT PANEL TV:
Sony X93E (XE93) review - FlatpanelsHD

Four settings used:
(1) SDR Daytime settings in Cinema Home mode.
(2) HDR Daytime settings in Cinema Home mode.
(3) SDR Night settings in Cinema Pro mode.
(4) HDR Night settings in Cinema Home mode.

Pros
  1. Colours look very natural.
  2. Auto HDR mode TURNS ON automatically when ever there is HDR Content on NETFLIX & AMAZON VIDEO. No need to change picture settings.
  3. Bright pricture if you need it.
  4. No dead pixels as often the case by other sub qiuality control manufacturers.
  5. Good uniformity of picture.
  6. HDMI ARC works perfectly with my BOSE Soundbar.
  7. Good internal DAC for Headphone audio connection - much better than they need to be for a TV.
  8. Superb Build quality.
  9. Google Voice via remote is very responsive and accurate - about as good as Apple TV siri remote
  10. 1080p upscaling is impressive.
  11. 4k UHD content looks amazing and better than some HDR content.

Cons
  1. Too much reflection. Very very suprised that on the popular YouTube Review sites this abvious flaw has not been picked up or even mentioned. There is WAY to much reflection. WARNING - ONLY GET THIS TV IF YOU HAVE A VERY DARK VIEWING AREA, OR NIGHT TIME VIEWING. EVEN AT NIGHT THE LIGHT FROM THE TV INTO A DARK ROOM CAUSED REFLECTION. IT IS LIKE A MIRROR.
  2. Not as impressed with HDR content as people have promoted. Basically even at Night the HDR content from (Marco Polo on Netflix) & (Patriot on Amazon Prime) = too dark. Dark scenes are just too dark and also the TV reflection as in point 1 above, makes the problem worse. NETFLIX - Iron Fist (HDR) looks terrible you can see dots and is so bad.
  3. Glowing Blooming around white subtitles even with Extended Dynamic Range turned off.
  4. Very minor letter box issues with white hallowing - some times. Not a major issue to me.

My ratings for this TV:
  • Contrast/Dynamic Range/Black Level (8 out of 10)
  • Screen Uniformity (10 out of 10)
  • Colour Accuracy (8 out of 10)
  • Greyscale Accuracy (8 out of 10)
  • Video Processing (7 out of 10)
  • Picture Quality Out-Of-The-Box (6 out of 10)
  • Picture Quality Calibrated (8 out of 10)
  • Sound Quality (1 out of 10)
  • Smart Features (5 out of 10)
  • Build Quality (9 out of 10)
  • Ease Of Use (5 out of 10)
  • Value for Money (5 out of 10)

REFLECTION ISSUES
I EXPECTED THAT A TV OF THIS STANDARD WOULD BETTER HANDLE LIGHT REFLECTIONS. HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO RETURN IT AND WILL PURCHASE SOME LIGHT MINIMISING WINDOW NET CURTAINS.THERE WILL STILL BE REFLECTION IN A DARK ROOM BASED ON THE LIGHT FROM THE TV ITSELF.

Thanks for starting this thread Soundizer, I've been really excited about the 2017 Sony lineup. My old Samsung LCD Series 9 LA46A950 is on its very last legs. It's been a fantastic TV (and one of the first with FALD before they very quickly went out of fashion for a few years if i'm not mistaken) but definitely time for an upgrade.

I'm in Australia and so hanging out for any information on release dates or price. I'm hoping in the next few weeks but some retailers have said it could be as late as June/July now which is disappointing.

Does anyone know about Dolby Atmos passthrough on the XE90 or XE93 as a firmware upgrade? I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers in 2018.

It's interesting to hear about the reflection issues you've had. Was this this an issue with a strong direct light or just general room brightness? I was always under the impression a bright TV such as the XE93 can push through reflections simply due to it's raw nits and it didn't seem to have a big mention in other reviews I've reads so this is somewhat of a surprise.

My lounge room TV faces a large window and so sunlight can be strong if I watch during the day. It's one of the main reasons I've been hesitant of OLED as it just doesn't seem to have the sustained brightness i'll need for my room type yet.

Hi there and thank you for the post.

Regarding reflections it is a bright TV that can push through reflections on non HDR content, but in my room where there is a massive Window beaming light right into it i have to draw the curtains when watching HDR content as HDR content seems allot darker.

Passthrough of Dolby Atmos [apologies but I am not sure].

Hi folks, thanks for sharing information on this screen.
I am in the process of almost ready to order this screen and build a new home cinema setup.
Have you come across another TV of similar price point that you would have bought over this Sony unit?
Thanks
Iain

I am picking up this very model in the upcoming weeks. You state the HDR did not impress you as much as you thought it would? Honestly and speaking from experience from my own TV, (OLED B6) Netflix & Prime may not be the very best example to showcase the set to display it's full potential. In-comparison to the raw data from a UHD disc.

What UHD discs have you thrown at the Sony?

Interesting pointers by the way. :smashin:

I have a question about this tv. I am trying to decide between this and the xe9005. I saw a review where they mention that if watching a movie which has black bars at the top and bottom these bars get light bloom when a bright image is displayed. See here at around 3:50. Anybody getting this or have you managed to calibrate it out?

So how did GOT on Sky Hd look on this tv?

Hoping someone can help with this? Is there a setting somewhere to switch off Auto standby mode? Finding it frustrating when it pops up and I have to go find the Tv remote.... thanks in advance ;)

Hoping someone can help with this? Is there a setting somewhere to switch off Auto standby mode? Finding it frustrating when it pops up and I have to go find the Tv remote.... thanks in advance ;)

I would appreciate knowing this also

Hi all quiet in compared to the xd side some may know I had a xd93 65” have a few faulty ones and now been upgraded to the xe model and I can’t wait [emoji4]

I’m looking forward to mine when I get it

Awesome TV I am enjoying It , Waiting for Sony Promise on HDR Dolby Vision and Youtube HDR..

Is you tube hdr a defo I know Dolby is

Is there a guide how to custom profile ( Through Nvidia Control Panel) a 120hz 1080p output since the x930e supports 120hz refresh rate at 1080p but it needs a custome resolution profile.

Is there a guide how to custom profile ( Through Nvidia Control Panel) a 120hz 1080p output since the x930e supports 120hz refresh rate at 1080p but it needs a custome resolution profile.

How does Google home work with this tv, can you turn it on or off, volume up and down etc?

My 65XE93 arrived this afternoon and so far WOW, WOW and WOW!

I had a an initial problem that made me think I’d been sent a duffer, but it turned out to be something entirely unexpected.
My TV is wallmounted, so I got everything ready prior to hanging it, including attaching a Samsung USB HDD for recording.
TV turned on ok, went through initial setup and got to point of firmware upgrade. It then turned itself off and wouldn’t turn on again, even power off/on at mains didn’t work - completely dead!
It turned out that this TV doesn’t like the Samsung USB HDD. If left plugged in, the TV wouldn’t turn on.
Fortunately, I had a Seagate USB HDD and that worked flawlessly.

Anyway, back to PQ, did I say Wow? :)
The blacks are within a gnats hair of the LG OLED that I spent so long deliberating over, and I’m currently sitting in a dark room enjoying Planet Earth 2 via iPlayer, which looks stunning, and any worries I might have had about buying an edge lit LED have vanished, Sony have performed miracles here I think.
All in all, so far I’m VERY pleased :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom