Sony KD-65XE9305 - OWNERS & GENERAL INTEREST THREAD

So a few months on - have people stuck with avforums recommendations for picture settings or tweaks to suit?
Well worth trying a few changes (as I have) because you will have a much greater understanding of the adjustments and much more confidence in tweaking.
I’ve been surprised at the improvement I achieved when I
tweaked after four months.

Received

Attachments

• IMG-20180619-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180619-WA0002.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 87
Just a note if you have a PS4, you can watch the world cup in UHD in BBCi Player on there, as there has just been an update, however there is no HDR at the moment.

Surely it's just the PS4 Pro?

Talking of Playstations, does the PS4 Pro need to be in a specific HDMI port for HDR?

Surely it's just the PS4 Pro?

Talking of Playstations, does the PS4 Pro need to be in a specific HDMI port for HDR?
HDMI 3 on the Sony

Hmm, I already have my Nvidea Shield in that one, is that the only port?
Check your manual but I believe so for accepting all frame rates and HDR
I think HDMI 2 also supports but not sure what?

Looks like 2 and 3 are the best bet, 3 seems to be special because of ARC

Code:
HDMI IN 1, 2, 3, 4 (support 4K resolution,
HDCP 2.2-compatible)
Video:
4096 × 2160p (50, 60 Hz)*1
*2, 4096 × 2160p
(24 Hz)*1
, 3840 × 2160p (50, 60 Hz)*2,
3840 × 2160p (24, 25, 30 Hz), 1080p (30, 50,
60 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (50, 60 Hz), 720p
(30, 50, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i,
PC Formats
*1 3840 × 2160p is displayed when 4096 × 2160p is
input.
*2 HDMI IN 2 / 3 only.
Audio: 5.1 channel linear PCM: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2,
96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, 16, 20 and 24 bits, Dolby
Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS
ARC (Audio Return Channel) (HDMI IN 3 only)
(Two channel linear PCM: 48 kHz, 16 bits, Dolby
Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS)

Just watching Arg V Cro on iPlayer UHD via Virgin V6 box 12mins gone no buffering or sound break ups. Just a stonkingly gorgeous picture!

The iPlayer PS4 picture looks like HLG but it's not automatically switching, when manually turned on looks better than off...

Edit just changed colour profile to BT2020 and looks much much better, but why is it not auto switching??

Anyone else?

The iPlayer PS4 picture looks like HLG but it's not automatically switching, when manually turned on looks better than off...

Edit just changed colour profile to BT2020 and looks much much better, but why is it not auto switching??

Anyone else?
The iplayer on ps4 doesnt support HLG. All we get is the UHD resolution without the HDR.

sony_xe93.jpg

This is my (sort of) new 55 XE93 , just got it yesterday as an upgrade for my 1.5 y old XD.
Really hard to find these days, everywhere out of stock (i live in Romania), I found one on display (so not really) new @ Sony Center.
Price was really good, about 1100 gbp.

Question: is this thread also for the 55 inch version ? :)

Has anyone else noticed the screen brightening when transitioning scenes?
Mine has just started doing this, first noticed it a couple of days ago (had the TV for over 6 months).

The last 10 minutes or so of The Terror episode 8 (on Prime Video) is really bad for it.

Found someone else with the same issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/8sebpb/930e_bright_flashes_before_cuts_with_local/

They fixed it by power cycling the TV, but this hasn't resolved the issue for me.

It stops if I turn off local dimming, but these sets are designed to run with local dimming on.

The iplayer on ps4 doesnt support HLG. All we get is the UHD resolution without the HDR.

Are you sure? You can start the HLG UHD test in the menu. The picture has that weird washed out look about it when HDR turned off.

Mine has just started doing this, first noticed it a couple of days ago (had the TV for over 6 months).

The last 10 minutes or so of The Terror episode 8 (on Prime Video) is really bad for it.

Found someone else with the same issue:
r/bravia - 930e- bright flashes before cuts with local dimming on

They fixed it by power cycling the TV, but this hasn't resolved the issue for me.

It stops if I turn off local dimming, but these sets are designed to run with local dimming on.

Probably been asked already built do you have the automatic brightness setting on (can't remember what it's called, but basically reacts to ambient light)

Might be worth checking

Probably been asked already built do you have the automatic brightness setting on (can't remember what it's called, but basically reacts to ambient light)

Might be worth checking

I’ve got that setting plus eco/power savings settings off. Was working fine previously.

Since the first Dolby Vision update I cant say I was blown away as my tv was slower and motion was definitely not right albeit its was subtle. The Amazon app has always been buggy but a week ago I was faced with a black screen when watching Youtube occasonally and Netflix all the time whilst the sound carried on. The TV was even less responsive so I contacted Sony and after a few emails and calls and tech not providing a solution I was offered an engineer visit. So engineer calls says its likely a new motherboard required as they have seen this before with the 9305 and tv was picked up. I am getting it back tomorrow (Monday) ,which is a pretty decent turnaround to be fair, and it will have the very latest software update. I can only hope its way faster and the apps actually work. I have been using my xbox one x for Youtube and Netflix this weekend as the speed of negotiating either is way quicker via the xbox.

Last edited:
Since the first Dolby Vision update I cant say I was blown away as my tv was slower and motion was definitely not right albeit its was subtle. The Amazon app has always been buggy but a week ago I was faced with a black screen when watching Youtube occasonally and Netflix all the time whilst the sound carried on. The TV was even less responsive so I contacted Sony and after a few emails and calls and tech not providing a solution I was offered an engineer visit. So engineer calls says its likely a new motherboard required as they have seen this before with the 9305 and tv was picked up. I am getting it back tomorrow (Monday) ,which is a pretty decent turnaround to be fair, and it will have the very latest software update. I can only hope its way faster and the apps actually work. I have been using my xbox one x for Youtube and Netflix this weekend as the speed of negotiating either is way quicker via the xbox.
The very reason I don't do any software upgrade expect absolutely necessary. Its always a case of fix one problem create another. I hope your TV set gets fixed. All the best.

I was informed that the software update was not the issue so who knows. I’ll comment here once I have had it back and played around with. nativebon I think I’ll go with you from now on and switch auto update off until it’s clear there are not major issues albeit it have not read about anyone else with the blank screen sound issue.

Guys, so I have this TV for a few days now. It is on software version 6.2671. A software update popped up, but I holding on the update.
I understand that there are 2 newer versions since the one I am on: one adds DV, what does the other do.?
Do they break anything?
I have seen people complaining TV is slow. Mine is quite OK.. not very fast, but more than acceptable... coming from a XD93 a good upgrade.

About DV support: are there many titles on Netflix with DV? Older HDR10 content is also DV now.... or only a few titles?
Besides Netflix are there other sources of DV?
What about Amazon?

About HLG: not in the UK, so I don't have iPlayer. So I guess my only option is YouTube. Does YouTube hdr /hlg work from the TV app? How? Is it better to use PS4's Pro or Xbox one s YouTube app?

Quick update in case anyone else comes across the issue...
It is caused by the AV Sync setting being turned to ON under the Home - Settings - Sound menu.
Turning this off has stopped the flashes.

anyone seeing an issue where video coming from a roku streaming + stick looks dim or dark.
Especially seeing this in netflix hdr content the movie bright is anything but bright.

When I look at the picture settings everything looks ok its running HDR mode brightness is maxed out etc.

If I run the same movie via dolby vision on the TV app the picture looks right the the screen is very bright however from the Roku its very dark and dull.

I cycled through the local dimming modes and it made very little difference.

Anyone have any ideas as to why my TV keeps turning itself on at some point in the night? I go to bed, turn it off and keep finding it on when I get up i the morning.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom