Sony KD-65XE9305 - OWNERS & GENERAL INTEREST THREAD

Anyone have any ideas as to why my TV keeps turning itself on at some point in the night? I go to bed, turn it off and keep finding it on when I get up i the morning.
Could be from the AVR ... or whatever you have plugged in HDMIs , especially HDMI 3 because it has ARC. Try unplugging this and see if it keeps happening. Then try unplugging all HDMIs. If it still happens must be from the tv. I guess you checked and there are no wake timers set. Try factory reset if this does not fix it, call the service.

Guys, so I have this TV for a few days now. It is on software version 6.2671. A software update popped up, but I holding on the update.
I understand that there are 2 newer versions since the one I am on: one adds DV, what does the other do.?
Do they break anything?
I have seen people complaining TV is slow. Mine is quite OK.. not very fast, but more than acceptable... coming from a XD93 a good upgrade.

About DV support: are there many titles on Netflix with DV? Older HDR10 content is also DV now.... or only a few titles?
Besides Netflix are there other sources of DV?
What about Amazon?

About HLG: not in the UK, so I don't have iPlayer. So I guess my only option is YouTube. Does YouTube hdr /hlg work from the TV app? How? Is it better to use PS4's Pro or Xbox one s YouTube app?

I asked a lot of questions here, but please let me repost the most important one:

Did the update that brings the DolbyVision support (or the next one from May I think) break anything for you ? Or did it significantly slow down the TV in any way ?

...you didnt let me finish....they're pretty much sold out everywhere, EXCEPT in the Netherlands

o_O

Was lucky enough to find one of the last 55 XE93 in Romania, good price too - about 1245 euro. Still plenty of XE90 in stock (I think), price is now 1070 euro.

I was informed that the software update was not the issue so who knows. I’ll comment here once I have had it back and played around with. nativebon I think I’ll go with you from now on and switch auto update off until it’s clear there are not major issues albeit it have not read about anyone else with the blank screen sound issue.
Well I got my xe9395 65 back and it is faster although whilst the tech guy was there I played THE BATTLE FOR CHOISIN and low and behold after minute the picture cut out. The reply from the workshop was that the motherboard has been replaced and there little else that can be done and I should take it up with Sony first. Since then i tried other Netflix programs and it seem fine. Amazon programs now start at the beginning and loads quicker.

I have just gone into the settings menu and within help my Tv is showing as being a KD-75XE9405 on 6.5603 software. So there is no guesswork as to whether the board was replaced but I'm mildly concerned about the model displayed though. Sony are closed and wonder if any of the more technically minded SONY experts can advise if the 55 65 and 75xe9405 all use the same motherboard.

Does someone have recommended image settings for watching movies from Netflix/Amazon/Bluray , etc ?
For SDR and I guess guess fro HDR would be similar with some specific tweaks.
Thank you

Well I got my xe9395 65 back and it is faster although whilst the tech guy was there I played THE BATTLE FOR CHOISIN and low and behold after minute the picture cut out. The reply from the workshop was that the motherboard has been replaced and there little else that can be done and I should take it up with Sony first. Since then i tried other Netflix programs and it seem fine. Amazon programs now start at the beginning and loads quicker.

I have just gone into the settings menu and within help my Tv is showing as being a KD-75XE9405 on 6.5603 software. So there is no guesswork as to whether the board was replaced but I'm mildly concerned about the model displayed though. Sony are closed and wonder if any of the more technically minded SONY experts can advise if the 55 65 and 75xe9405 all use the same motherboard.
That does not seem right to me. When you go to help under settings, upon clicking on help you get into the the next page which has help on the top right hand side. Under the word HELP, Should state your model in this case... KD-65XE9305. If you not seeing your TV Model number then something is wrong, and also should display the latest Software version if that has been installed.

I think you better have a word we Sony to clarify things. I'm not sure a 75XE9405 motherboard should be used with the XE93 just does not seem right. These days I don't take changes any more. Just got a Roku stick and was having some problems and back it went straight away. You bought your TV set to get enjoyment from it not hassle. Hope you get your money back or a totally refurbished one with full warranty. Hope it gets fixed sooner than later.

Last edited:
That does not seem right to me. When you go to help under settings, upon clicking on help you get into the the next page which has help on the top right hand side. Under the word HELP, Should state your model in this case... KD-65XE9305. If you not seeing your TV Model number then something is wrong, and also should display the latest Software version if that has been installed.

I think you better have a word we Sony to clarify things. I'm not sure a 75XE9405 motherboard should be used with the XE93 just does not seem right. These days I don't take changes any more. Just got a Roku stick and was having some problems and back it went straight away. You bought your TV set to get enjoyment from it not hassle. Hope you get your money back or a totally refurbished one with full warranty. Hope it gets fixed sooner than later.
I'll be checking with Sony today. What became abundantly clear last night was just how slow my original board was as it now turns on quicker and instructs my Sony av amp to turn on faster as well. My main concerns are resell if I ever changed as it looks iffy and what about future software updates and even worse futyre conversations with Sony CS who I'm sure will find it odd on first contact.

Quick update. The engineer just needs to update the model number on the motherboard as they are interchangeable as i suspectd so will pop over and sort it without it going back in to the workshop.

Quick update. The engineer just needs to update the model number on the motherboard as they are interchangeable as i suspectd so will pop over and sort it without it going back in to the workshop.
looking good. :smashin:

anyone seeing an issue where video coming from a roku streaming + stick looks dim or dark.
Especially seeing this in netflix hdr content the movie bright is anything but bright.

When I look at the picture settings everything looks ok its running HDR mode brightness is maxed out etc.

If I run the same movie via dolby vision on the TV app the picture looks right the the screen is very bright however from the Roku its very dark and dull.

I cycled through the local dimming modes and it made very little difference.

no-one else experienced this?

no-one else experienced this?
Ironically bright is a very dark mastered HDR movie. I've know this from time. I don't think it's the stick.:)

About motionflow settings: in my experience custom with smoothness set to 1 and clearness to min , is better than true cinema in most of the cases.

About motionflow settings: in my experience custom with smoothness set to 1 and clearness to min , is better than true cinema in most of the cases.
I use custom with smoothness set to 4 and flim mode set to low. No soap opera effect whatsoever. :cool:

I use custom with smoothness set to 4 and flim mode set to low. No soap opera effect whatsoever. :cool:

What does Film mode do ? At some point I believed it only makes sense for interlaced sources , like 1080i from live tv. I believe most of everything else is 1080p (or at least 720p) or 2160p (4k) : Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Blu-rays , UHD Blu-rays , etc...

What does Film mode do ? At some point I believed it only makes sense for interlaced sources , like 1080i from live tv. I believe most of everything else is 1080p (or at least 720p) or 2160p (4k) : Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Blu-rays , UHD Blu-rays , etc...
Flim mode on or off does not make much difference, but just in case I'm watching a low res content it help's with smoothing out motion.

ah so it could just be that the dolby vision master is brighter
I remember back then when BRIGHT newly came out, even those With Dolby Vision with LG sets also said BRIGHT was mastered to DARK. Remember a lot making fun of bright being dark. :D

I was still on software 6.2671. Updating now. Fingers crossed :D

So the tv got updated to 6.2858. Looks like v6.5603 is on hold:
Firmware update to v6.5603 | Sony UK

Seems fine for now. DV is working now from Netflix app.
Also YouTube HLG worked once , for a video, but not directly from the yt app. I searched the video on my phone and chose to cast it to tv. Yt app opened , but it was controlled by the phone and the HLG stream was selected.

I watched HLG video on BBC iPlayer and noticed that HLG video option doesn’t engage when Auto is selected so I am thinking why tv doesn’t select HLG.

I watched HLG video on BBC iPlayer and noticed that HLG video option doesn’t engage when Auto is selected so I am thinking why tv doesn’t select HLG.
The app on the tv does not do HLG just yet. You need a source which is compatible with BBC iplayer.. ie.. Virgin V6 or Roku+ stick. If you using a compatible source hold dwn the power button on the remote for 5secs then TV reboots then try again.

The app on the tv does not do HLG just yet. You need a source which is compatible with BBC iplayer.. ie.. Virgin V6 or Roku+ stick. If you using a compatible source hold dwn the power button on the remote for 5secs then TV reboots then try again.
Thanks I am using PS4 Pro, is that capable of HDR? It does 4k as I have watched 4k footy.

Thanks I am using PS4 Pro, is that capable of HDR? It does 4k as I have watched 4k footy.
Yes the ps4 Pro does HDR, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with BBC iplayer with HLG.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom