Reaction score
Seems we have an owner this thread is ready to go
Fill your boots

4C0837DC-FE11-45F8-9238-E79440912E72.jpeg
BF02A938-B6E7-46D4-9792-3CF1BE615664.jpeg
7FE30B23-4336-45DA-A744-5F6D20A15E4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Can we not have one thread for all sizes? 49 + 75 will be popular too
I suppose everyone can join in. Unless there is anything technically different in those sizes

Hello all, received my 55 inch this morning and have been having some fun with the settings and viewing different media and sources on it. My first impressions can be found here --> NEWS: Sony launch 2018 OLED and LCD TV line-up for UK Post #461

I thought I would add some extra photos for you all and a couple of updates to my settings.

For all non-hdr content I now have X-tended dynamic range on medium. And for SDR gaming the local.dimming is on medium (purely because the defualt game mode had this), I can probably turn it up to high but waiting for a couple.more reviews from professional calibrators.

Someone on the thread linked above wanted to know if I could comment on the overshoot reported by Rtings. I can say that so far I have not noticed this at all. I also have my game mode running with custom motionflow, smoothness min, clearness 1, film mode off. I can really tell the difference with the motion. It's very easy to.notice the improvement on rocket league.

On a sidenote, I am watching the England football match right now. I have the motionflow on custom with smoothness or max and clearness on 1 and it is very very nice.

I'm.happy.to answer more questions or try things for people over the weekend. All I can say is anyone interested in buying this TV will.not be disappointed

Attachments

• IMG_20180323_204431.jpg
    IMG_20180323_204431.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_20180323_204309.jpg
    IMG_20180323_204309.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_20180323_204727.jpg
    IMG_20180323_204727.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,234
  • IMG_20180323_204210.jpg
    IMG_20180323_204210.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,219
  • IMG_20180323_204238.jpg
    IMG_20180323_204238.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,025
Thanks @Mallett94 for testing the overshoot in gaming, that’s much appreciated. You mentioned you have custom motionflow in game mode, I assume this also activated the x motion clarity feature. Did you notice any additional input lag using these settings?

how do you find the viewing angles of the xf90 Mallett94 ?

So from everything I have read, X motion clarity is activated by setting the motionflow to custom and setting the clear to 1 which is why I have it like that. I haven't been able to detect any input lag, and like I said in the other thread, this is at 1080p! I am quite sensitive to input lag, one of the LG TVs I had in the past was unplayable unless it was in game mode it was crazy. I really.dint think anyone will have any problems using this TV for gaming.

In regards to viewing angle, supposedly VA panels have much more.limited angle to IPS (which my former TV was). So far, I would say that the picture remains as it should even viewing from 1-1.5 metres from the central axis. I must say that I was expecting the image to degrade almost as soon as I started moving off center from the information I have read, but I haven't found this to be the case at all.

@Mallett94 big thanks for providing such good feedback
When you can:
1. Please comment on os please
2. Hdr if you tested it
3. Black bars
4. Any noticeable blooming ?
Enjoy it

1. Having never owned an Android TV TV before, all of the doom and gloom I was reading made me anticipate it being really slow and laggy and annoying to deal with. However I have found it to be fairly snappy. It's not lightning quick by any means, it doesn't run as fast as LG WebOS3.5, but it's not far behind. The Netflix app loads fast, the Amazon app is a bit slower. When you cast a something it changes input straight away.

The one thing I would say that isn't implemented well, is the youview software. I really like youview, my parents have a couple of boxes and it is great, but it doesn't run well at all here so I would reccomend deactivating youview and using the Freeview Play TV guide. Also if you want to record to a USB HDD like me, you can't do this with the youview enabled anyway.

2. HDR is great. I watched the netflix original Annihilation yesterday, and the darks were detailed and the whites and the might scenes with specular reflections and stuff were awesome. I used to think HDR was a bit silly because it makes the brightness go to max, but now I get it! Also with gaming it looked really good as well, but I have only played Destiny 2 so far with HDR.

3. The only reason I knew there were black bars, is because I know that films have a different aspect ratio to regular TV. I was truly impressed by how black the bars are, makes me wonder how I was able to put up with the milky grey 'black bars' on my previous TV haha.

4. The o my time I have noticed blooming so far, is when the TV is turning on and there is a little bit behindaround the Sony logo, and then a little bit when the YouTube app is loading/I am casting YouTube, again just around the logo when it is loading up. I didn't notice any during actual viewing of any content so far.

Hi Mallett, what about vertical banding VB and dirty screen effect DSE please whilst watching football and sport please? I have returned three 75 TV's recently, all dreadful with VB and DSE.

Is there a way to count the areas(zones)on this model ?
according to some say there are 45 zones on the 55 "but it will be good to check this to confirm!
sorry for all these questions and thank you for your reports.
Edit:
video for testing Number and size of dimming zones:
Local dimming on TVs: Direct-lit, edge-lit, full-array

Last edited:
its up

can someone give us a resume of Vincent's video ?
How many zones ? because I do not understand English well !:(

One thing I'm confused by is the X-Motion Clarity, some reviews say that with this enabled the brightness is reduced by 100+ nits.

So in reality the TV isn't really brighter than last years XE90?

Or is the full X-Motion Clarity only really needed on certain types of content, ie sports + gaming?

One thing I'm confused by is the X-Motion Clarity, some reviews say that with this enabled the brightness is reduced by 100+ nits.

Or is the full X-Motion Clarity only really needed on certain types of content, ie sports + gaming?

Some heavyweights will probably explain it much better than me. Read the extract below.
Xe90 performance versus xf90 is significantly different (around 20 percent more). See rtings measurements for both.
When you implement bfi, brightness drop significantly aka up to 50 percent. Therefore Zonal Black Insertion aka ZBI as called by Vincent will impact a bit the brightness while doubling motion resolution...very acceptable trade off I checked myself twice already..(clearness at 1 and smoothness around 2 as I didn’t like 3 unless very fast sport or games).

Xe90 has the motions flow clear setting which really makes the picture dim. X motion clarity allows you to get the best of both worlds...while sacrificing just 100 nits. We are still talking a tv peaking at 900 nits here and that can sustain 100 percent screen brightness around 500-600 nits!!!

Flatpanelhd: We are usually happy to recommend Sony’s MotionFlow ‘Clear’ setting since it effectively manages to improve motion clarity. However, this Sony has implemented a new “X-motion Clarity” system and when used in conjunction with the ‘Clear’ setting, brightness drops too drastically. X-motion is active throughout all setting modes that involve scanning backlights so our suggestion is that you switch to ‘Personal’ that offers customization options to preserve very high motion resolution, while at the same time preserve very good brightness. It is a win-win situation. Peak brightness gets reduced by 10% by setting the scanning backlight option to 1 (Clearness) but on the other hand you boost motion resolution by more than double. Values above 1 do no bring sizeable improvements. HDR peak brightness still ticks in at close to 900 nits with the scanning backlight system activated. The Smoothness setting option can further improve, well smoothness, but we prefer to keep it at 3 to avoid motion artefacts. If you want to avoid the soap opera effect steer clear of using the “Film mode” option.”

Apparently having it enabled makes a huge positive difference but guess we need Vincent to hurry up and make that comparison video.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom