Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Just picked up a manufacturer refurbished 55xf9005 for £599.

We've got a 65" C9 in the bedroom as OLED is much better for off axis viewing when lying in bed. However I must say the XF does a great job in the living room and isn't shamed by the C9 at all. Viewing angles are bad but the rest is great. Blacks are about as good as you'll get from an LCD, that is to say they're easily watchable without being distracting. Motion handling is the best I've seen and this tv gets bright so no problems with HDR content or sunlight in the room.

This is my first Sony and what a great tv for money. Will definitely look into Sony again when it comes time to replace. If anyone is considering picking this model up, go for it. They value on offer is high considering the price.
Hi that's a good price but if you have a costco near you and are or know a member then you might want to pick one up a brand new one from there as its currently at 659.98 which includes a 5 year warranty. you can always return your refurbed one for a refund as its within 30 days so for only 60 quid more you'll get a brand new one with a 5 year warranty,

Here is a tip off the back of the advice given to me above about sideloading apps.

You can sideload an app called Smart Youtube TV to watch YouTube without ads before and during videos.

This is available to download from the Smart YouTube TV Github page.

To install it, you need to:

- Download the "stable release" from the Releases page of the link above
- Copy the .apk file to a USB drive, or save it to your Google Drive/OneDrive/Dropbox
- Download and install a file explorer app from the Play Store on the TV itself (I used Solid Explorer but there are various available)
- If using a USB drive, connect it to the TV; then open the .apk file in the File Explorer and install it (you may need to enable installation of apps from the app in question if prompted)
- You should now have the Smart YouTube TV app listed in Apps
- When you open the app, you can sign in with your Google account details
- You now have the ability to watch YouTube on your TV without ads.

Hope this helps someone!
Hi red28 i think people will also have to enable the allow unknown sources security option in order to allow them to sideload apps.

I would urge caution when sideloading, it's one thing sideloading official apps from other android platforms, or ones which don't require any special permissions. It's another thing sideloading a third party app which also allows you to provide Google credentials.

very true !!! I wouldn't enter credentials into third party unverified apps. if the smart YouTube app lets you use it without google credentials then its ok but if credentials are required n order to use it then its safer not to use it.

Hello guys,

I have been an owner of Sony's 65'' XF9005 since Xmas.

The image is near excellent but the sound is meh....

So i would love if u could recommend me the soundbar or some other soundsystem that fits good with this TV, and includes everything (atmos included).

I have also a Ps4 pro.

I have read good comments about Sonos Beam, Jbl 5.1,yamaha 207, samsung q70, q80, edifier e255.

Thanks in advance.

Budget around 500-600 euros, but if you convince me to give more money for better sound, i am here ..:)
This may suit you, or not, as the case may be. Worth a look.

Hello guys,

So i would love if u could recommend me the soundbar or some other soundsystem that fits good with this TV, and includes everything (atmos included).

I have also a Ps4 pro.

I have read good comments about Sonos Beam, Jbl 5.1,yamaha 207, samsung q70, q80, edifier e255.

Thanks in advance.

Budget around 500-600 euros, but if you convince me to give more money for better sound, i am here ..:)
I've got a Sony HT-ZF9 which if set up correctly is great. It is 435 euros on Amazon.de. The rears really do add immersion, but it bumps the price up to 680 euros.

Hello guys,

I have also a Ps4 pro.

Thanks in advance.

I have some Panasonic FM wireless headphones that, for me, are near perfect. Good, clear full sound as loud as I want without disturbing anyone else.

can anyone with a 55 tell me the height measurement between the stand base and the bottom of the screen, my centre is quite tall even when on its side so i need to think about t how to raise the tv so that the centre doesnt obscure the screen. cheers

can anyone with a 55 tell me the height measurement between the stand base and the bottom of the screen, my centre is quite tall even when on its side so i need to think about t how to raise the tv so that the centre doesnt obscure the screen. cheers
I've measured 6.7 cm or 2.638 inches from the TV table surface to the bottom edge of the screen. I use my old 5.1 LG system and had to place the centre speaker behind the TV, but I still hear it perfectly. I hope this helps.

I've measured 6.7 cm or 2.638 inches from the TV table surface to the bottom edge of the screen. I use my old 5.1 LG system and had to place the centre speaker behind the TV, but I still hear it perfectly. I hope this helps.
Thanks Noviot, yes it helps as I now know how much I have to be able to raise the height

Just picked up a manufacturer refurbished 55xf9005 for £599.

We've got a 65" C9 in the bedroom as OLED is much better for off axis viewing when lying in bed. However I must say the XF does a great job in the living room and isn't shamed by the C9 at all. Viewing angles are bad but the rest is great. Blacks are about as good as you'll get from an LCD, that is to say they're easily watchable without being distracting. Motion handling is the best I've seen and this tv gets bright so no problems with HDR content or sunlight in the room.

This is my first Sony and what a great tv for money. Will definitely look into Sony again when it comes time to replace. If anyone is considering picking this model up, go for it. They value on offer is high considering the price.

How close (or far) apart would you say overall image quality is between the two? OLEDs of course beats it with deep blacks, but in general let's say you don't notice any blooming issues on the Sony with blacks looking good enough, would you say the OLED handily beats it? As that's the impression I've been reading from many people who seem to own the OLED calling it a night and day difference. And is it true that HDR pops more on OLEDs because of the contrast between the deepest blacks and the highlights? Looking forward to your feedback!

How close (or far) apart would you say overall image quality is between the two? OLEDs of course beats it with deep blacks, but in general let's say you don't notice any blooming issues on the Sony with blacks looking good enough, would you say the OLED handily beats it? As that's the impression I've been reading from many people who seem to own the OLED calling it a night and day difference. And is it true that HDR pops more on OLEDs because of the contrast between the deepest blacks and the highlights? Looking forward to your feedback!
And don't forget:
1-Motion handling
2-Dark grey vertical banding
3-Vignetting
4-Just above black blocking and chrominance overshoot flashing
5-Screen uniformity
6-Grey scale accuracy
Because all of these were poor on my LG OLED TV.

I wanted to by an OLED a couple of years ago when my previous LCD became faulty. I went in to RS and did some side by side comparisons with the XF9005 and the current Sony oleds at the time. There was very little difference, definitely good viewing angles and pure blacks on the oleds BUT they were noticeably duller and I went for the XF in the end. I don't regret it.

admittedly I dont own an oled but when you say hdr is better on Oled im not sure I'd agree with that. yes blacks are obviously better but I doubt that the whites and highlights would get anywhere near my xe9305 which is a light cannon and hdr material is jaw- droppingly good. I havent setup my xf 9005 yet but im not expecting it to be anywhere as good as my xe9305 for hdr material but with the X1extreme chip the upscaling will be good especially for sdr ( HD) content which is what I generally watch in the bedroom.

Hi, everyone! First post here. I'm a happy owner of a 55 xf9005 since July 2019. Untill now, everything is perfect. By far, it's the best TV I've ever seen. Forgive my mistakes since my English is a bit rusty and I'm a newbie trying to learn. I'm using cinema pro for HDR and cinema home for SDR. And the picture quality is amazing, but I'd like to have the standard mode preset calibrated too. Have any of you tried to tweak it? What should I change?
Greetings from Brazil!

‘...but I'd like to have the standard mode preset calibrated too. Have any of you tried to tweak it? What should I change?
If you want it calibrated it sounds like you will need someone with the right equipment and knowledge.
Tweaking and calibration are very different things.

Hi, everyone! First post here. I'm a happy owner of a 55 xf9005 since July 2019. Untill now, everything is perfect. By far, it's the best TV I've ever seen. Forgive my mistakes since my English is a bit rusty and I'm a newbie trying to learn. I'm using cinema pro for HDR and cinema home for SDR. And the picture quality is amazing, but I'd like to have the standard mode preset calibrated too. Have any of you tried to tweak it? What should I change?
Greetings from Brazil!
Hi and welcome to the forums. Agree with what @Bat-man has said. If you just want to adjust the settings this link may help https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00126919 hope that helps :thumbsup:

Hullo everyone
After a few weeks of research and advice from dodgexander I have finally ordered my new 65" xf9005
£999 from richer sounds with 6yr warranty.
Can't wait for wednesday when it arrives.Delighted to find this thread which I will scourer for info.
To save a bit of time is there any settings that I can do myself which are deemed optimum and what soundbar is best for this TV?
Cheers everyone
Red

admittedly I dont own an oled but when you say hdr is better on Oled im not sure I'd agree with that. yes blacks are obviously better but I doubt that the whites and highlights would get anywhere near my xe9305 which is a light cannon and hdr material is jaw- droppingly good. I havent setup my xf 9005 yet but im not expecting it to be anywhere as good as my xe9305 for hdr material but with the X1extreme chip the upscaling will be good especially for sdr ( HD) content which is what I generally watch in the bedroom.

It's not that the highlights get bright in HDR on an OLED. That's one of the limitations of OLED tech, lower peak brightness. It's that because it's self-emissive, only the pixels which needs the highlights are illuminated and all adjacent pixels are either off or operating at much lower brightness which makes the HDR highlights seem more impressive beccause of the contrast. Basically it stands out more. With FALD, the highlights do get brighter but it's not as clean (if that makes sense) because adjacent pixels are also illuminated slightly too. At least this is my understanding of it from reading peoples impressions. I myself don't own an OLED either, so I'm keen to learn from you guys here whether that's the case.

Last edited:
Hullo everyone
After a few weeks of research and advice from dodgexander I have finally ordered my new 65" xf9005
£999 from richer sounds with 6yr warranty.
Can't wait for wednesday when it arrives.Delighted to find this thread which I will scourer for info.
To save a bit of time is there any settings that I can do myself which are deemed optimum and what soundbar is best for this TV?
Cheers everyone
Red
Hi, you should check out the settings that @Mallett94 has researched, link here Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread
A lot of people swear by the Sonos soundbars. :thumbsup:

If you want it calibrated it sounds like you will need someone with the right equipment and knowledge.
Tweaking and calibration are very different things.
Thanks for the attention. Calibration is the idea but if I get tweaking it is a good step by now. I have an average room. There's some light but not directly on the TV. We watch a lot of TV during the day and that's why I'm not sure if I use cinema home or standard mode.

Hi, you should check out the settings that @Mallett94 has researched, link here Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread
A lot of people swear by the Sonos soundbars. :thumbsup:
Thanks, mate. I will try this. Just one more question please. Which is the most correct about the color: the value of 60. Must I put it down or keep it and turn the live color off?
@DarkBlue395 have a look at the settings in the link above. As with a lot of things there is no right or wrong it is what looks good to your eyes in your room. :)

im yet to set mine up and have seen suggested settings here on avf also on the rtings video and a YouTube video of a guy claiming to be a TV calibrator called coach he goes into details of changing the white balance settings too. I'm interested to know if those who have mentioned that they have got too much blooming on thier tvs have used any of those suggested settings? As from what ive read the colours are pretty accurate out of the box on cinema pro and expert 1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom