Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

yeah I'm still not 100 % with the choice.. I can dispute and say I'm not happy just if I get the store credit back will be the hassle with the delivery again of a new unit too. I'm also assuming the xg will be be a new unit compared to refurbished one I got sent. I am 6 feet away from the TV so 55 would be a over kill.. How far are you?

I'm maybe 7-8 feet. When I got my store credit they send a code of sorts and you then arrange with the shop. I had to take my television back in to Richer Sounds and collect my new one, a bit of a hassle but well worth it. It's not guaranteed to be a new unit.

I was going to get a new set and had the 55XF9005 firmly in my head, your saying I should not bother and go with an OLED.
It does sound abit unlucky on having that many problems with a panel, I have a 55CX680B Panasonic currently had nearly 5 years and it's rock solid, just lacks HDR etc that's why I want a new TV lol

No I'm not saying that. I've had insects get in to my last three Sony televisions. All top end sets the XD9305, XE9305 (AWESOME set) and then the XF9005. I'm on my second XF9005 and suddenly Sony are saying insects in the set aren't covered under their warranty so IF/when it happens again then my only option is OLED which are sealed so apparently can't happen. The television itself is excellent for the money, and I would absolutely snap one up at the current price, and definitely around Black Friday.

Yeah true I just don't know what Sony will say. Surely if I don't take the 49xg9005 and they say I can't get the xf9005 55 inch or pay some more for the 9505xg I could go bk to the 49xg can they offer me worse quality...

I my experience, and I've had quite a bit these last few years, there customer relations department is excellent. It can take a couple of weeks to get the resolution you want but just be really honest with them. They wont try to fiddle you if you know what you're talking about. If you are unsure I would definitely go for the store credit option and then get exactly what you want brand new in store with a new warranty. Sony might agree to send you a better/bigger set if you pay the difference but it might not be a new one.

anyone else having issues with usb playback since updating firmware?
My xf90s have always been bipolar, but more videos used to work with the vanilla firmware. Now the tv will refuse to play almost half of my 4k demos and is temperamental when I'm adjusting picture settings on the fly.

I my experience, and I've had quite a bit these last few years, there customer relations department is excellent. It can take a couple of weeks to get the resolution you want but just be really honest with them. They wont try to fiddle you if you know what you're talking about. If you are unsure I would definitely go for the store credit option and then get exactly what you want brand new in store with a new warranty. Sony might agree to send you a better/bigger set if you pay the difference but it might not be a new one.
Hi thanks for the information I ended up taking the offer for the 49xg9005. Hopefully I will be happy and this one fault free.. Worse case scenario if its actually less quality of the xf9005 then I'll just have to see what Sony says I want to be getting a TV of standard I originally paid for. Thanks again I'll update you on when I have an update timescale of the replacement availability.

Ill give it a go for a few weeks see if i "adjust".

Thanks.

Tris

In answer to your question, and this is personal preference, you can try turning on to different levels, 1: contrast enahncer, 2: black level adjust, 3: live colour.

I don't recommend this but as stated before personal preference wins out and to each their own. FYI if you are interested about getting the motions settings set up in the best way, see this link here for a detailed explanation => Sony Motionflow & Film mode Settings Explained (finally!)

Hope this helps.

If anyone is up and watching the England Ruby union match, which is being broadcast in 1080i, if you're on Android TV Oreo and watching ITV 1 HD through the built in Freeview, try setting your Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness 4, Clearness 1 Film mode High.

The motion is much improved.

If anyone is watching it via another source e.g. Sky/Virgin/Youview box and it is outputting a progressive signal, try smoothness at 3.

Hope this helps and come on England!

Is there a way to force HDR mode on?

If no, is there a way to set up a standard profile (I could use custom) with HDR settings or does the auto-hdr system provide more than can be set in the standard profiles?

Lastly, are all the profiles (eg vivid, cinema home, sports etc) just variations on a theme and I can just use any of them as custom profiles if i want? or again are there things going on behind the consumer settings that cant be changed?

Thanks guys!!

...Lastly, are all the profiles (eg vivid, cinema home, sports etc) just variations on a theme and I can just use any of them as custom profiles if i want? or again are there things going on behind the consumer settings that cant be changed?..
I know that gamma tracking varies on different profiles.

Hello,

What would you get in 55" size now? XF90 or XG95 ?
I had a great XE90 before. I watch mainly HD sports, gaming PS4 PRO (Sdr, Hdr)
I consider XG95 with the better cpu. But it seems according to reviews it's not surely the better set? I personally scare a bit about the more blooming, less contrast too

Thank you the help.

Last edited:
Hello,

I consider XG95 with the better cpu. But it seems according to reviews it's not surely the better set? I personally scare a bit about the more blooming, less contrast too

Thank you the help.

I think there is only less contrast on the 75 and 85 inch models which come with 'wide angle' technology, however don't quote me on that 😬

Hello,

Thank you the help.

The difference is only slight so depends on your budget really. Whatever you decide I'd personally wait until Black Friday and get a bargain.

Quick one guys had my 55xf9005 nearly 12months picture was perfect up dated to Oreo about 3 weeks ago and picture isn’t the same used same settings after a factory reset but getting issues brightness/contrast flashing between scenes if that makes sense not all scenes same using built in you view and Apple TV 4K.

My first thought is have you got contrast enhancer on high? That can cause the effect you describe.

Quick one guys had my 55xf9005 nearly 12months picture was perfect up dated to Oreo about 3 weeks ago and picture isn’t the same used same settings after a factory reset but getting issues brightness/contrast flashing between scenes if that makes sense not all scenes same using built in you view and Apple TV 4K.

I'd try a second factory reset and then have a good play with the settings. I noticed an improvement in picture quality when I updated but also noticed changes in the preset image quality. What are you settings?

I am having a bit of a strange issue. A couple of month ago I noticed that the TV sometimes goes in deep sleep mode, so when I turn it on with the remote, it's booting up the Android OS. This seams to happen randomly and sometimes it happens after just a couple of days and sometimes after a week. I have tried a factory reset, but that didn't help. Anyone else experienced this?

Will have a look pretty sure I got the setting off here 😩😂🙈

Attachments

• 3B4AF77F-6BAB-4B89-89DA-7F0AEE17939C.jpeg
    3B4AF77F-6BAB-4B89-89DA-7F0AEE17939C.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 2B8DD607-C89F-4860-9AB8-347BDEACDB39.jpeg
    2B8DD607-C89F-4860-9AB8-347BDEACDB39.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 84BF4E3B-7B9A-419F-8C8A-DDE1D4879A2F.jpeg
    84BF4E3B-7B9A-419F-8C8A-DDE1D4879A2F.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 84
  • BA85601B-CF96-4509-9ED3-2AC72E7E7CC4.jpeg
    BA85601B-CF96-4509-9ED3-2AC72E7E7CC4.jpeg
    932.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 11D154AE-A9E4-4A7A-8238-9A8E02DFC32A.jpeg
    11D154AE-A9E4-4A7A-8238-9A8E02DFC32A.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 104
  • F15E5E73-045F-484F-B1F1-9909F767EF84.jpeg
    F15E5E73-045F-484F-B1F1-9909F767EF84.jpeg
    817.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 93ACCF93-B6DB-4800-AB6F-19C5200EC49E.jpeg
    93ACCF93-B6DB-4800-AB6F-19C5200EC49E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
I am having a bit of a strange issue. A couple of month ago I noticed that the TV sometimes goes in deep sleep mode, so when I turn it on with the remote, it's booting up the Android OS. This seams to happen randomly and sometimes it happens after just a couple of days and sometimes after a week. I have tried a factory reset, but that didn't help. Anyone else experienced this?

Are you connected to audio sys by Arc ??

Will have a look pretty sure I got the setting off here 😩😂🙈

I use custom setting but from memory my settings are as follows.

Brightness 25
Auto picture mode off

Contrast 93
Gamma -1
Black level 49
Black adjust medium
Contrast enhancer medium
Dimming High
Dynamic range medium

Colour 55
colour temp warm
live colour low or medium
Reality creation manual Sharpness 50 resolution 70
Everything off apart from smooth gradation which I have at medium or high
Custom motionflow
Smoothness 2
Clearness 1
Flim mode high

Last edited:
Quick question: when there is specular highlights, is it bright enough to make you squint or look away briefly or can you look at it head on without squinting.

Asking this because my results are very interesting and I'll need further clarification with the use of HCFR (from @007L2Kill ) before I publish my graphs and data.

I use custom setting but from memory my settings are as follows.

Brightness 25
Auto picture mode off

Contrast 93
Gamma -1
Black level 49
Black adjust medium
Contrast enhancer medium
Dimming High
Dynamic range medium

Colour 55
colour temp warm
live colour low or medium
Reality creation manual Sharpness 50 resolution 70
Everything off apart from smooth gradation which I have at medium or high
Custom motionflow
Smoothness 2
Clearness 1
Flim mode high
Thanks for the info

Will give these settings ago after I factory reset at the weekend, a reset sorts can’t ar**d with going through repair

Quick question: when there is specular highlights, is it bright enough to make you squint or look away briefly or can you look at it head on without squinting.

Asking this because my results are very interesting and I'll need further clarification with the use of HCFR (from @007L2Kill ) before I publish my graphs and data.

I have never once had to squint or look away from the screen for anything.

The biggest thing I had to adjust to was playing games like FIFA and CoD when I first got the TV with the original PS4 and HDR was enabled. Having the backlight constantly at max for HDR games took a few days to get used to for my eyes, but since then it's been fine.

If anyone is interested, the latest system software for PS4 makes you set some HDR calibration setting on a system wide level which should improve HDR performance of some games, but also video apps like Netflix and Prime going forwards. I would still always check the in game HDR calibration settings as well though.

So yeah Razer don't expect to be literally almost blinded by specular highlights, that's not what I and I think most other people have experienced.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info

Will give these settings ago after I factory reset at the weekend, a reset sorts can’t ar**d with going through repair

I don't say my settings are the ones anyone should use, but I like them. Every panel, room and eye is different. Hope you don't need a repair.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom