Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Quick question: when there is specular highlights, is it bright enough to make you squint or look away briefly or can you look at it head on without squinting.

Asking this because my results are very interesting and I'll need further clarification with the use of HCFR (from @007L2Kill ) before I publish my graphs and data.

When I first got a set like this I had to turn the brightness down but I've never had to squint or look away. I'm now use to how these sets perform.

In that case then my expectation was too high, I forgot who said that but you were spot on. Got it in my head that high peak brightness is like looking at a car's headlights head on, but the reality is that I can look head on at ~1m and not react at all.

Tried 10% and 5% windows and clocked in around 950 and 1050 nits respectively.

I feel really dumb as to my complaining as my understanding of peak brightness was flawed. Now that I got a good sense of what a high peak brightness is I'm more appreciative of this display.

I also feel deeply embarrassed that I've been ranting about a non-issue all this time and how that came across. This was a big learning experience and one that I'm glad I made, no matter how much I want to duck and run for the hills 🤣🤣.

Last edited:
In that case then my expectation was too high, I forgot who said that but you were spot on. Got it in my head that high peak brightness is like looking at a car's headlights head on, but the reality is that I can look head on at ~1m and not react at all.

I feel really dumb as to my complaining as my understanding of peak brightness was flawed. Now that I got a good sense of what a high peak brightness is I'm more appreciative of this display.

I also feel deeply embarrassed that I've been ranting about a non-issue all this time and how that came across. This was a big learning experience and one that I'm glad I made, no matter how much I want to duck and run for the hills 🤣🤣.

@Razer08 I think @Kenny Culver could learn a thing or two from you fella!

Now time to settle back and start picking out what you think are good implementations of HDR content and perhaps now that you're satisfied with HDR performing properly on the set, you could do some analysis as to how you feel the difference is between SDR and HDR content. i.e. now is time for the real fun and appreciation to begin.

Do you game at all?

Everything in life is a learning curve. I'm just glad your set is a good one and is pumping out the required nits! I do think the main issue for our sets is that very little content is available that can truly show what they are capable of. Maybe in time this will improve but there is still embarrassingly little good HDR/UHD content for us to watch and even UHD movies are still ridiculously expensive.

@Razer08 I think @Kenny Culver could learn a thing or two from you fella!

Now time to settle back and start picking out what you think are good implementations of HDR content and perhaps now that you're satisfied with HDR performing properly on the set, you could do some analysis as to how you feel the difference is between SDR and HDR content. i.e. now is time for the real fun and appreciation to begin.

Do you game at all?
I've gotten the grayscale, contrast and colour all measured for sdr. I just need to figure out how to calibrate. My ansi contrast ratio was ~5000:1 for starters.

I own an xbox one s so I play and watch a ton of HDR content.

I've gotten the grayscale, contrast and colour all measured for sdr. I just need to figure out how to calibrate. My ansi contrast ratio was ~5000:1 for starters.

I own an xbox one s so I play and watch a ton of HDR content.

@Razer08 I meant to do this myself at the weekend but didn't get around to it... Try downloading some of these 4K HDR (some 60fps) demo videos from here => 60 FPS UHD 4K Demos | 4K Media

Apparently the Sony Swordsmith one is incredible and I'd expect the Red Bull ones probably look good as well.

Let me know if you get around to it before me what you think they look like?

What SDR and HDR settings have you settled on out of interest?

@Trum How is it going for you with your new TV? I know you said you were going to try and adjust to more 'calibrated-esque' type settings. What are your thoughts after a week or so?

The difference is only slight so depends on your budget really. Whatever you decide I'd personally wait until Black Friday and get a bargain.
I want the 55XF9005 and it's currently down to £949 (I didn't go with the Costco deal for a few reasons) do you think there is a good chance, it will drop a couple of hundred on Black Friday weekend ?

I want the 55XF9005 and it's currently down to £949 (I didn't go with the Costco deal for a few reasons) do you think there is a good chance, it will drop a couple of hundred on Black Friday weekend ?
I very much doubt it but you never know. I would guess that it will drop to around £850 at richersounds which would be the cheapest they have sold it so far. Also bear in mind that these are discontinued so stock could disappear and you may not get one if you wait too long.

I very much doubt it but you never know. I would guess that it will drop to around £850 at richersounds which would be the cheapest they have sold it so far. Also bear in mind that these are discontinued so stock could disappear and you may not get one if you wait too long.
Yeah it's a gamble as it's still a month and a half away, if it was only to drop about £100 from today's price, it's not a massive incentive.

Yeah it's a gamble as it's still a month and a half away, if it was only to drop about £100 from today's price, it's not a massive incentive.

Would be interesting to see what price the XG9505 drops to on Black Friday too.

Last edited:
@Razer08 I meant to do this myself at the weekend but didn't get around to it... Try downloading some of these 4K HDR (some 60fps) demo videos from here => 60 FPS UHD 4K Demos | 4K Media

Apparently the Sony Swordsmith one is incredible and I'd expect the Red Bull ones probably look good as well.

@Trum How is it going for you with your new TV? I know you said you were going to try and adjust to more 'calibrated-esque' type settings. What are your thoughts after a week or so?
I used to have a whole tranche of demos but this TV is very picky on which ones it would play. I have tested the swordsmith demo and it's pretty. The deep blacks with the small burning mallet is amazing.

I have some Dolby vision demos too and a few lg 4k sdr ones of which the eclipse one is a personal favourite. Will have to plead with the TV to let some of the Samsung demos to work.

With regards to settings they closely resemble yours but where you have some values 1/2 clicks higher than the default, I've left it at the default.

I just need to figure out how to calibrate the grayscale then that would fix the colour tracking too.

Everything in life is a learning curve. I'm just glad your set is a good one and is pumping out the required nits! I do think the main issue for our sets is that very little content is available that can truly show what they are capable of. Maybe in time this will improve but there is still embarrassingly little good HDR/UHD content for us to watch and even UHD movies are still ridiculously expensive.

Hmv have the odd bargain, I picked up a few for £9.99 there. Alien, spiderman homecoming are still at that price with any other purchase.
But yes new releases are still expensive, I tend to wait for 2 for £30 if I can.
Though some like appocalyse now are must buys for me on release.

Been doing white point calibration and the lack of CMS (colour management system) was concerning but then I remembered that if you get the grayscale correct then the colour falls in line. Average delta errors were 0.63, 0.53 and 0.44 for sdr custom, hdr custom and sdr game respectively. Some sdr values were carrying over to the hdr so it became a bit finnicky. Couldn't test hdr game mode as internal video app doesn't support that mode, but sdr whitepoint carries on to hdr whitepoint to a fairly good accuracy so it isn't a bother. Only mode I can't calibrate is DV but then again I never liked it in the first place.

Been watching videos of people using Calman and compared to HCFR it is too much "hand holding". A very steep learning curve (again ha) but was well worth it. I'll use this whitepoint settings for a few days and see what is different.

Oh and a backlight setting of 3 was ~100 nits.

Been doing white point calibration and the lack of CMS (colour management system) was concerning but then I remembered that if you get the grayscale correct then the colour falls in line. Average delta errors were 0.63, 0.53 and 0.44 for sdr custom, hdr custom and sdr game respectively. Some sdr values were carrying over to the hdr so it became a bit finnicky. Couldn't test hdr game mode as internal video app doesn't support that mode, but sdr whitepoint carries on to hdr whitepoint to a fairly good accuracy so it isn't a bother. Only mode I can't calibrate is DV but then again I never liked it in the first place.

Been watching videos of people using Calman and compared to HCFR it is too much "hand holding". A very steep learning curve (again ha) but was well worth it. I'll use this whitepoint settings for a few days and see what is different.

Oh and a backlight setting of 3 was ~100 nits.

I would be interested to hear your results if you also performed calibration on Cinema Home and Cinema Pro picture modes as well?

The backlight setting of 3 for 100 nits, was that with clearness off or on 1?

Are you going to be watching SDR content at around 100/120 nits from now on, or is the brightness just a bit too low for your ambience and will need to notch it up a bit?

I used to have a whole tranche of demos but this TV is very picky on which ones it would play. I have tested the swordsmith demo and it's pretty. The deep blacks with the small burning mallet is amazing.

I have some Dolby vision demos too and a few lg 4k sdr ones of which the eclipse one is a personal favourite. Will have to plead with the TV to let some of the Samsung demos to work.

With regards to settings they closely resemble yours but where you have some values 1/2 clicks higher than the default, I've left it at the default.

I just need to figure out how to calibrate the grayscale then that would fix the colour tracking too.

I've got a YouTube video for you which has elements of light that are almost too bright. Search for Supervention 4k Reel (UHD). Also a good video to check white settings motion etc....plus just some pretty epic skiing/snowboarding.

What do you use to play back the recordings you download, USB or external HDD?

What do you use to play back the recordings you download, USB or external HDD?

I've not actually downloaded any yet, however when I do, possibly this evening, I will be using a USB 3.0 64GB stick.

I have a 500GB usb HDD plugged in for recording from Freeview.

I would be interested to hear your results if you also performed calibration on Cinema Home and Cinema Pro picture modes as well?

The backlight setting of 3 for 100 nits, was that with clearness off or on 1?

Are you going to be watching SDR content at around 100/120 nits from now on, or is the brightness just a bit too low for your ambience and will need to notch it up a bit?
I believe it's with clearness set to 0 but I'll double check and edit this if I'm incorrect. My viewing environment is either dimly lit or dark (due to my bias lighting strip) so I don't need the high brightness.

I'll calibrate those 2 modes as well as the custom mode was just me gaining familiarity with hcfr so it shouldn't take long.

Wow, 200+ pages is a lot to go through! I’m wondering if somebody could give me a quick answer please.
I’m looking to upgrade my 6 year old, 1080p, tv. After a lot of research I’ve settled on the 65” of this model.
Main use will be PS4 Pro and Netflix.
Would you recommend this set to me? Thanks!

Ever considered buying an Apple TV? There are stacks of 4K HDR films on iTunes and a lot of them are cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom