Sony KD49XG9005

To be honest isn't every panel a lottery? My XG is definitely a worse panel than my XE when it comes to being uniform and backlight bleed. So LED is not exactly lottery free. :)

I guess they are packing more into less now so its inevitable plus I think certain batches of any set can be worse than others.

So I’ve pulled the trigger on the XG90!

I’ll be looking to wall mount it and I’m struggling to see if it comes with the right screws to use. Does anyone know what mounting screws should be used for the VESA mount?

Looking around online it seems to point to M6 at 20mm but I can’t tell if they come bundled in the box or they come separate.

So I’ve pulled the trigger on the XG90!

I’ll be looking to wall mount it and I’m struggling to see if it comes with the right screws to use. Does anyone know what mounting screws should be used for the VESA mount?

Looking around online it seems to point to M6 at 20mm but I can’t tell if they come bundled in the box or they come separate.

Mine came with 4 M6 20mm screws already attached to the back of the TV. I've used them to attach the Sony to a Sanus swivel mount (a great improvement over the hideous duck's foot stand supplied, plus now quite easy to adjust TV position to compensate for the narrow viewing angle).

Mine came with 4 M6 20mm screws already attached to the back of the TV. I've used them to attach the Sony to a Sanus swivel mount (a great improvement over the hideous duck's foot stand supplied, plus now quite easy to adjust TV position to compensate for the narrow viewing angle).
That’s great to hear! I’ll be using a custom stand to mount it to until it goes up on the wall so I’m glad it comes with the bolts needed. The Samsung I have had a strange mount which requires longer screws which they don’t bother supplying.

That’s great to hear! I’ll be using a custom stand to mount it to until it goes up on the wall so I’m glad it comes with the bolts needed. The Samsung I have had a strange mount which requires longer screws which they don’t bother supplying.

The Sony also has a perfectly flat back so there's no need for spacers.

Has anyone tried normal blurays 1080p on the xg9005 ?, as these are devoid of any hdr interference. Did you noticed if the cinema bars then stayed black..?

Has anyone tried normal blurays 1080p on the xg9005 ?, as these are devoid of any hdr interference. Did you noticed if the cinema bars then stayed black..?

With SDR material the TV is fantastic, the blacks and local dimming work very well for SDR. Its with HDR blooming can become very distracting.

Any new information about the XG 9005 49 inch model?

Regarding the Panel , the Bit Level , the Peak HDR Brightness?

I'm wondering why rtings still hasn't tested it.

Not everyone has space for 55 inch or bigger.

Any new information about the XG 9005 49 inch model?

Regarding the Panel , the Bit Level , the Peak HDR Brightness?

I'm wondering why rtings still hasn't tested it.

Not everyone has space for 55 inch or bigger.

@Phoenix1985
rtings are based in Canada and the 49XG9005 isn't available in North America.

They did however, mention it in the variants section of their XG950 review:
Update 05/25/2019: The XG90 has a 120Hz panel, not a 60Hz panel.

We tested the 55" Sony X950G (XBR55X950G), and for the most part, we expect our review to be valid for the 65" (XBR65X950G) as well. The 75'' (XBR75X950G) and the 85'' (XBR85X950G) models have Sony's new 'X-Wide Angle' technology, which improves viewing angles at the expense of lower contrast ratio. As we have not tested those models, we can not be sure how they perform in contrast and viewing angles, and our only insight comes from the results of the Sony Z9F, which incorporates this technology.

The European variant of the TV is also known as the XG9505, and we expect it to offer the same performance. There is also a 49" XG90 variant in Europe which we expect to have similar performance.

If someone comes across a different type of panel or if their Sony X950G doesn't correspond to our review, let us know and we will update the review. Note that some tests such as the gray uniformity may vary between individual units.

Sony X950G Review (XBR55X950G, XBR65X950G, XBR75X950G, XBR85X950G)

Attachments

• 4250539E-07C3-40A4-878B-D0771A3FDE85.jpeg
    4250539E-07C3-40A4-878B-D0771A3FDE85.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 378
  • CBBBE56C-9DBC-4C20-A178-EC70A8C322D4.jpeg
    CBBBE56C-9DBC-4C20-A178-EC70A8C322D4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 357
I think that's just the display UI, the inputs are all 60Hz but the panel should be 120Hz motion flow as per the rtings site. Even my old XE9005 was native 100Hz so I honestly cannot believe a 2019 version of effectively the same TV would be a 60Hz panel.

It shows 60Hz there with a ZF9 as well so that number is definitely not to be used to determine the panel refresh rate capability.
This tv should accept a 120Hz signal from a PC if you really want to make sure :laugh:

Ok, thank you.

But is seems this TV is on the old ATV2 Plattform instead of ATV3 with the 55 inch XG 9505

Review: Google Translate
(pretty sure I recall measurements of a 49XE or XF90 having peak brightness around 800 nits as well before a big fuss get's made of this ;). Edit: mentioned in the review "We measured the consumption of this TV at 68 W, a relative consumption of 103 W / m², which exceeds the average consumption of TVs tested (around 100 W / m²). In comparison, the Sony 65XF9005 had a relative power consumption of only 71 W / m². This difference is due to the higher pixel density on the 49-inch TV and the difficulty of light passing through the liquid crystal. This also explains the lower brightness peak")

No idea what the abbreviation stands for but UR2 = MT5893 + 2.5GB RAM whereas UR1 was MT5893 + 4GB RAM, it is simply their latest Android TV platform.

Last edited:
Seeking some info,at the moment I have a Sony w905 ,I’m thinking of going 4k tv and looking at the gx9005 do you think it is a improvement over the w905. I have sky q and Netflix and at the moment I’m not getting the benefit of DV and uhd from sky as the w905 is only 1080p tv.does anyone think it is a upgrade. Thanks

Seeking some info,at the moment I have a Sony w905 ,I’m thinking of going 4k tv and looking at the gx9005 do you think it is a improvement over the w905. I have sky q and Netflix and at the moment I’m not getting the benefit of DV and uhd from sky as the w905 is only 1080p tv.does anyone think it is a upgrade. Thanks

100% although treat yourself and get the 55"

Greetings. :)

Considering buying this TV but there are no reviews on the web for some reason. Currently have Samsung 40in 6670 from 2012/2013. 49in is max I can fit in our living room. Could you guys answer few questions?

1. How much RAM this TV comes with? Is it 2GB or 2.5GB? Related to the next question...
2. How's the performance of Android Oreo OS? Is it as bad as some people say? Is there a lag when increasing / decreasing volume sometimes?
3. Reading through the thread it looks like SDR performance is great (black bars are black etc) Could someone post pics of HDR blooming examples (black bars, black bars with subtitles and maybe some other)
4. Are there any other issues with the panel? DSE etc? Maybe someone could post pics of grey uniformity tests? Test patterns could be found on Gray Uniformity of TVs: Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)

I could go to a store, buy it and test it myself but I have 2 year old boy so time is precious :clap:and he doesn't sit still most of the time :rotfl:

Greetings. :)

Considering buying this TV but there are no reviews on the web for some reason. Currently have Samsung 40in 6670 from 2012/2013. 49in is max I can fit in our living room. Could you guys answer few questions?

1. How much RAM this TV comes with? Is it 2GB or 2.5GB? Related to the next question...
2. How's the performance of Android Oreo OS? Is it as bad as some people say? Is there a lag when increasing / decreasing volume sometimes?
3. Reading through the thread it looks like SDR performance is great (black bars are black etc) Could someone post pics of HDR blooming examples (black bars, black bars with subtitles and maybe some other)
4. Are there any other issues with the panel? DSE etc? Maybe someone could post pics of grey uniformity tests? Test patterns could be found on Gray Uniformity of TVs: Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)

I could go to a store, buy it and test it myself but I have 2 year old boy so time is precious :clap:and he doesn't sit still most of the time :rotfl:

It will preform a lot better than your current Samsung. Cinema bars are not jet black ,but a lot better than many I have seen. Some blooming in areas of the screen , not really obvious in normal viewing. Its down to the dreaded panel lottery I suppose. The viewing angle is very narrow. If you cant go to a 55 inch qled samsung, this sony the best option I could find in this 49"screen size.

Last edited:
It will preform a lot better than your current Samsung. Cinema bars are not jet black ,but a lot better than many I have seen. Some blooming in areas of the screen , not really obvious in normal viewing. Its down to the dreaded panel lottery I suppose. The viewing angle is very narrow. If you cant go to a 55 inch qled samsung, this sony the best option I could find in this 49"screen size.

Is there a lottery on the 49"xg9005, I thought they were all VA only?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom