SONY KD65AG8BU vs PANASONIC TX-65GZ950B vs SAMSUNG QE65Q90RATXXU

purechoass

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So been trying to decide on a new TV. Currently own the absolute amazing Panasonic GT50 and have loved it dearly! What stood out to me was the THX Picture mode which offered near reference level picture for the time out of the box.

So now I am looking to upgrade, here are what I have narrowed it down to,

SONY KD65AG8BU : £2000

PANASONIC TX-65GZ950B : £2200

SAMSUNG QE65Q90RATXXU : £2200

I really am not sure which is the best for the price?

What attracts me to the Sony is the great sound for a built in TV (Will be a long while before I can get a proper 5.1 setup) That and it was the most expensive TV before the discount at £2800 supposedly.

What attracts me to the Panasonic is similar to my old TV it claims to have fantastic Picture out of the box, and I love the more natural picture of Panasonic's set.

What makes me consider the Samsung is the great reviews it has been getting. The Samsung is QLED whereas the other two are OLED.

The black friday prices for these sets are great and I am more leaning towards the Sony or Panasonic. What do you guys think? I will mostly be using the TV for blu-rays, gaming etc, more so than normal TV viewing.

Edit: I won't be able to calibrate the TV's professionally due to cost, so I can only calibrate it the best you can without professional tools.

Thanks in advance!

Cant see you going wrong with the panasonic. If you loved your plasma it will be more of the same just better with 4k hdr. Love mine and i have last yrs coming from a kuro

Given you mention blu rays I’d go with the Panasonic due to its colour accuracy. Also pair it up with a 4K player for an awesome experience.

Thank you both for the replies. I am leaning even more towards the Panasonic now aha!

A quick question, what is 1080p/720p content like on these TV's? Does it look the same as if viewing on a 1080p display or is it like blowing up 480p on a 1080p display? I pretty much stopped keeping up with TV tech when I got my GT50 all those years ago.

Probably will be mostly watching 1080p /720p content as that is what most of my content is at the moment, (PS4, Switch, 1080p Blu-Rays). Hoping the PS5 will really cement 4k content as a more common standard next year.

Edit: Again it will be a while before I can afford to go ham and get a 4k player, 5.1 speakers, etc. So probably won't be able to experience any 4k content for a while ironically aha. More about future proofing plus the crazy picture quality of OLED (those inky inky blacks.....)

Great getting very excited now aha!

So any reason to go for the Sony over the Panasonic? Sound quality aside (which is not that important to me as either way a 5.1 will be used eventually).

This may help you: 2019-2020 OLED Comparison

Each TV comes with different strengths and weaknesses, the Sony's is motion processing, picture processing and sound.

The Panasonic is colour accuracy.

There's also little reason to spend this much on an OLED TV, you could in fact go for the cheaper LG B9 and be more than impressed.

Hi everyone,

So been trying to decide on a new TV. Currently own the absolute amazing Panasonic GT50 and have loved it dearly! What stood out to me was the THX Picture mode which offered near reference level picture for the time out of the box.

So now I am looking to upgrade, here are what I have narrowed it down to,

SONY KD65AG8BU : £2000

PANASONIC TX-65GZ950B : £2200

SAMSUNG QE65Q90RATXXU : £2200

I really am not sure which is the best for the price?

What attracts me to the Sony is the great sound for a built in TV (Will be a long while before I can get a proper 5.1 setup) That and it was the most expensive TV before the discount at £2800 supposedly.

What attracts me to the Panasonic is similar to my old TV it claims to have fantastic Picture out of the box, and I love the more natural picture of Panasonic's set.

What makes me consider the Samsung is the great reviews it has been getting. The Samsung is QLED whereas the other two are OLED.

The black friday prices for these sets are great and I am more leaning towards the Sony or Panasonic. What do you guys think? I will mostly be using the TV for blu-rays, gaming etc, more so than normal TV viewing.

Edit: I won't be able to calibrate the TV's professionally due to cost, so I can only calibrate it the best you can without professional tools.

Thanks in advance!
What did you go for in the end? Interesting point on the sound but also important to remember that it doesn’t support Dolby Atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom