Sony Laser v Lamp Based Projector

william149

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm looking to buy a new projector, probably a Sony.
Apart from the obvious strengths of the laser being brighter & not requiring any replacements bulbs, is a laser worth paying additional £££ over it's lamp based counterpart.
Is the picture quality any better, if so in which areas or are we talking minimal differences.
Also, how much heat does the laser version give off or do they run quite cool.

Whether the laser is worth almost double, is something only you can answer. I assume you are referring to the 570/590 vs 760/790 here.
The optics are basically identical between them unless you are spending upwards of £25k on one and the image quality to look at, is extremely similar. (As you would imagine as they have the same processing etc).
Personally I find the picture on the laser model to be much more solid looking and without the flicker/brightness fluctuations that can affect bulbs.
The colours also have more pop and saturation with the laser model out of the box. But the difference is not huge, especially if you get it pro calibrated.
The laser machine does give off some heat but no more than the lamp based ones in my experience.
They are all very quiet during normal operation. They both get louder on max laser or high bulb of course.
Other differences are that the laser machine is a little bigger all round and it intakes from the front and exhausts out the back. Whereas the lamp based models intake through the rear and around the lens, but exhaust out of the front.
Something to bear in mind come installation time.
Neither will disappoint, and one will leave a huge amount of cash still in your pocket over the other.
Enjoy making your choice!

Check out this interesting video.
I recommend watching it with subtitles unless you are fluent in German. :)

Thanks for the link, however even with subtitles running i can't really follow him.
I think it will be a lamp based model if i'm honest, technology changes pretty fast & i guess if i bought a laser model i'd feel compelled to keep it for years & years.
I guess i have to decide between the older 570 or the new 590 then.

Thanks for the link, however even with subtitles running i can't really follow him.
I think it will be a lamp based model if i'm honest, technology changes pretty fast & i guess if i bought a laser model i'd feel compelled to keep it for years & years.
I guess i have to decide between the older 570 or the new 590 then.
No problem.
I watched it with the subtitles and then looked at the images closer on the second viewing.
You should be able to get a 570 at quite a discount soon I would have thought.

No problem.
I watched it with the subtitles and then looked at the images closer on the second viewing.
You should be able to get a 570 at quite a discount soon I would have thought.
What do you think would be a good price for a 570, i see there is one in the classifieds @ £5k

What do you think would be a good price for a 570, i see there is one in the classifieds @ £5k
Depends on the length of prime support warranty that is remaining and how many hours it has operated for.
As the new 590 is 6999 I believe, I would say a fair price for a used 570 would be nearer 4k. That is a matter for the seller alone however. :)

Yeah, food for thought..
Yup.
Interestingly, the seller could have expected maybe 6k for the 570, if the new models hadn't hit the used value of the previous models so much.

Kris Deering has started a similar conversation over on the AVS forums.

I'm still somewhat shell shocked to hear laser may not be we all had expected.

Without sounding conspiratorial, the conversation does seem too convenient to the availability and new pricing of the 790es. All of a sudden there are concerns with laser platforms?

Kris Deering has started a similar conversation over on the AVS forums.

I'm still somewhat shell shocked to hear laser may not be we all had expected.

Without sounding conspiratorial, the conversation does seem too convenient to the availability and new pricing of the 790es. All of a sudden there are concerns with laser platforms?
No concerns from this quarter. Laser has proved to be far more compelling and stable for me than any lamp based projector I have had previously.
I find the difference tangible.
Are you saying that laser engines will be the best thing since sliced bread once the native 4k JVCs have them for under 12k?

Are you saying that laser engines will be the best thing since sliced bread once the native 4k JVCs have them for under 12k?
Get out of my head !!!
😁

No progressive lamp ageing/dimming is a big plus for lasers. Lamps can lose a huge percentage of their initial brightness in the first few hundred hours. Then progressively get worse slowly.

In other words you can enjoy a lasers best peak performance for much longer than you can a lamp.

No progressive lamp ageing/dimming is a big plus for lasers. Lamps can lose a huge percentage of their initial brightness in the first few hundred hours. Then progressively get worse slowly.

In other words you can enjoy a lasers best peak performance for much longer than you can a lamp.
Yes i appreciate that, but the having thought about this long & hard, i think for me a bulb based model makes more sense for me personally.
The price difference between the 2 is £5k, that's a lot of replacement bulbs should they be needed.
A laser block is non replaceable, so if & when it starts to dim - then what?
The main reason for my decision (apart from the cost side) is PJ's are getting better & (apparently) cheaper, if i was to invest in a laser unit now, then there's simply no way i could afford / justify in replacing it in a couple of years time as i think i would take a massive hit on it.
At least with a bulb based PJ, yes there will also be a hit, but i don't believe as much.
I think i'm going to plump for the 570 though, my initial excitement in buying the latest & greatest has wained somewhat & i'd rather save at least a couple of grand compared to the 590, especially at the present with all the uncertainty of what's going on.
I appreciate your valid input though.

I understand where you are coming from. Lots of things to consider. Good point regarding the bulb cost and regular replacement against extra for laser. Another thing that interests me about the laser is the instant on, rather than the slow startup of a lamp.

Me personally I tend to keep my projectors for a long time. Currently have my X30 and still going strong. So when I do change the jump in quality will be amazing, but also will last me a long time.

Yes, the instant on / off is fantastic having seen one in action, it's literally just like turning a normal tv on & off..
I guess if i were using it multiple times a day it would be of great benefit, but watching a film 2 or 3 times a week is no big deal waiting a few mins.

I guess i've just got itchy fingers at the moment..

So the 760/790 cannot stand directly on the back wall because the air outlet is at the rear? thank you

So the 760/790 cannot stand directly on the back wall because the air outlet is at the rear? thank you

mine is. Doesn’t cause any issues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom