Question Sony MDR-DS6500 headphones wear and tear issue

paulbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone on here would be able to help me out, I have a set of Sony MDR-DS6500 headphones I purchased back in December 2014. They're still going strong and working fine, I've just noticed some deterioration to the material that makes up the headband and its cushion, probably to be expected after regular use for almost 6 years.

I've managed to source replacement ear cushions for it, what I'm wondering is if there's any way to replace or repair the wearing on the headband? Maybe it's not meant to last this long but if I could repair it I'd certainly get more use out of it, I can't see it lasting much longer than the end of the year at the moment the way the tearing and cracking is going. I've searched online and can't see anyone who's reported this problem... does anyone know of a possible solution? I've attached some pics which show the problem I have.

A final query, if there's no real way to repair does anyone know a current alternative to these headphones that would give me the same functionality - ie optical input and virtual surround experience? I'd be looking for something a bit lighter, since this headset can be quite heavy on the ears when worn for a couple of hours at a time. The closest I've found is the Sony WH-L600, there are also the Sennheiser RS175 or RS195 sets but these look very bulky and also pretty heavy on the ears.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated... thanks in advance!

Attachments

• headphones2.jpg
    headphones2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 313
  • headphones1.jpg
    headphones1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 160
  • headphones3.jpg
    headphones3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 140
  • headphones4.jpg
    headphones4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 123
  • headphones5.jpg
    headphones5.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 315
1. Reach out to the Sony UK authorised repairer whether they have replacement parts (email and phone number on Sony UK)

2. Buy a headband cover in the meantime (the kind that fastens with buttons / velcro). Or DIY your own if handy with a sewing needle.

P.s. I too can only find search results for replacement pads but nothing about the headband

1. Reach out to the Sony UK authorised repairer whether they have replacement parts (email and phone number on Sony UK)

2. Buy a headband cover in the meantime (the kind that fastens with buttons / velcro). Or DIY your own if handy with a sewing needle.

P.s. I too can only find search results for replacement pads but nothing about the headband
Thanks for the advice, I take it for a headband cover I'd just have to find one that fits and then just manually cut a hole in the middle to expose the charging port. Any tips on the best one to use for this purpose?

I'll ring the local sony repair shop tomorrow, there's an affiliated one a couple of miles away, will at least be able to see if I can get it repaired, though I don't think it's likely... part of me thinks that they want you to buy a new one after a few years - keeps the money coming in for them!

I do not own one myself but they are meant to be budget clip on things to cover the original headband. I would not spend too much time on research. It is a protective layer and or to add light padding

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom