Sony reboots every time

Cholmes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 55" Sony X900 TV and I'm about done with it. Every single time I turn it on it takes at least 45 seconds to start to come on. It will go through the whole Android boot menu before finally coming on. I read somewhere to put new batteries in the remote and I thought there was no way that would make a difference but sure enough it would start right up, no boot, instant on. That worked for about a month then back to the same as before. I again put in new batteries but this time no luck. What could ever be wrong with this thing? I know if my internet is out (using an Ethernet cable) it will just boot over and over and over until I unplug the cable. It must be something simple. If anyone knows please, please share. Thanks

Hi, I have a 55" Sony X900 TV and I'm about done with it. Every single time I turn it on it takes at least 45 seconds to start to come on. It will go through the whole Android boot menu before finally coming on. I read somewhere to put new batteries in the remote and I thought there was no way that would make a difference but sure enough it would start right up, no boot, instant on. That worked for about a month then back to the same as before. I again put in new batteries but this time no luck. What could ever be wrong with this thing? I know if my internet is out (using an Ethernet cable) it will just boot over and over and over until I unplug the cable. It must be something simple. If anyone knows please, please share. Thanks

Could it be a faulty remote?

Hi - can I draw your attention to this thread also.

Seems like three of us are having the same issue but across two different models. Mine started doing this very recently. Suspecting since my set upgraded to Oreo / Android 8.

My XE9005 has a great panel and would hate to need to exchange if it’s a software bug.

If you can get it to boot then try to do a firmware update over usb
sounds like an issue with the firmware on the mainboard.
if its just stuck on the reboot you can try hard reset etc..
but its more than likely your mainboard is bricked.

A working main board will fix your tv is this is the case.

Have you tried dissconnecting all inputs including ethernet and USB and see if it boots normally then ?

Tried everything, if Ethernet is not plugged in it will reboot constantly, If Ethernet IS plugged in it will reboot every time it is turned on. I have disconnected Satellite and AV Receiver ARC no difference

Thats all I can think of . I take it you have done a factory reset ?

@Cholmes I have a 49XG9005 and a 55AF8 and have recently started getting the same issue on both sets. I was using my Sky Q remote (long press on the power button) to turn the tv off and thought that was the issue. However, having reverted to using the Sony remote to turn the tv off the issue has reoccurred again today.....

Both of my tv’s are getting worse at this. If I leave them switched off for anything more than a couple of hours they become non responsive and eventually reboot.

Both of my tv’s are getting worse at this. If I leave them switched off for anything more than a couple of hours they become non responsive and eventually reboot.

Has this started since the most recent update? I wonder if the update is somehow to blame?

Has this started since the most recent update? I wonder if the update is somehow to blame?
Kind of..... on my AF8 it started more or less as soon as I manually updated to Oreo, but on my XG9005 it didn’t start happening until at least 2 weeks after it updated.

Kind of..... on my AF8 it started more or less as soon as I manually updated to Oreo, but on my XG9005 it didn’t start happening until at least 2 weeks after it updated.

I'd do a factory reset. I ask because I'm noticing more and more reporting this new issue after updating. It hasn't affected my XF9005 thankfully but it's clear some sets can escape issues that others fall foul to.

It's 12.2.2020, and my 2018 XBR.65900F has started to reboot first time it's started each day. Did not know this is and has been a KNOWN problem with SONY tv's! Aside from surgery to replace the mainboard, is there any other cure? My last SONY was a great panel, but it died, black screen, after about 5 months. I did an exchange with SONY but the replacement had burn-in on the screen. SONY never responded to this issue so I just lived with it, but this TV is less than 3 months old11 (I bought NOS, unaware of any issues.) is it time to shop for a Samsung or LG and try returning this beast?

Was used to doing it with the sky remote which turns the TV off rather than the sky box !!! So naturally did the same, and kept rebooting the TV.
Was told just stab the standby button to switch off

My 65" X900F has started doing the reboot thing too. It only happens when I first power-on the set. When I turn it on, everything looks normal, then, after a few seconds, the screen goes black, I see the Sony logo, then the Android booting logo, then it works fine. Happens every time I turn on the set after it has been off for more than a few hours.

Now, for me, this started happening immediately after I applied the most recent update to my TV, so I'm almost certain it's a bug that was introduced in that firmware. I haven't tried a factory reset yet.

Last edited:
I never turn my TV off at the mains unless I'm going to be away from home for over a week. Pretty sure the TV has very low power consumption when in standby. Also I like it to do my scheduled recordings to USB HDD and also be able to turn it via Spotify Connect :)

For what it's worth. I have the same issue on my Bravia KD43XE8004 ever since a software update in March/April. I've done factory resets and scanned the web to try and find a solution all to no avail. You'd think a company like SONY would have fixed this by now wouldn't you?
Anyhow I'm planning to get a larger screen TV in the near future. Suffice to say it won't be a SONY!

Last edited:
I have an AF8 and have exactly the same issue. I use a hard wired Ethernet and have used the sky remote to turn AF8 into standby. I also think it is the latest software update causing the issue.
Tend to notice it more if I use the satellite remote to turn Sat on (which defaults to turning the TV on).
If I use the TV remote to turn on and then use sky remote to turn on SAT, it happens less - but still does it.

Anyone know of the fix?

For what it's worth, I deleted all the apps from my Sony (I use an AppleTV) thinking that might help. Nope. TV still reboots at random times when powered-on. Has to be the last firmware update because it started doing this shortly afterward.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom