sony str-da5800es 4k passthrough issue

robertlaurenson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive just bought the above receiver used from a friend, what a brilliant sound it puts out, unreal.
Anyway, ive tried connecting my sky q main box to one of the inputs marked 4k, and it doesnt work.
In the sky q settings it says that 4k isnt an option and unsupported.
Bot sure whats wrong, ive got around it by running another hdmi, connecting the Sky Q box to 1 and the receiver to the ARC port so all is well and working fine.
Just for future reference is there some reason i cant get this to work as it says it can pass through 4k signals?
Thanks
Robert

The Sony receiver in question isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant so cannot be used to convey most commercial UHD encoded video sources. Almost all commercial UHD content is protected by HDCP 2.2 or higher and the SKY Q box would need compliance with HDCP 2.2 if wanting to output 4K video to such a device. The receiver's 4K abilities are limited and it was developed prior the the standards being finalised. It is therefore practically useless if wanting to pass anything more than 1080p through it.

The Sony receiver in question isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant so cannot be used to convey most commercial UHD encoded video sources. Almost all commercial UHD content is protected by HDCP 2.2 or higher and the SKY Q box would need compliance with HDCP 2.2 if wanting to output 4K video to such a device. The receiver's 4K abilities are limited and it was developed prior the the standards being finalised. It is therefore practically useless if wanting to pass anything more than 1080p through it.
Thankyou for the quick and detailed answer.
Much appreciated.
As far as a sound system goes its great, ultimately all it cant do then is switch 4k signals, i could get a splitter if needs be but the tv has 4x 4k ports so unlikley ill need it.
The sound through the ARC function is good enough and i paid little for it so i think ill just stick with it.
Thanks again

Just had a quick look online and you can get splitters / strippers which claim to remove the HDCP 2.2 thing. Would this solve the issue for me?

There's no real benefit assoistiated with doing so if your only 4K source is going to be the SKY Q STB? The reason being is that you can already access the 5.1 audio by using ARC between the TV and the AV receiver and you don't need to convey such audio to the AV receiver directly via HDMI. Problems arise when dealing with 4K sources that include HD audio such as TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. A UHD disc player for example would play discs whose audio will more than likely be an HD format and HD formats cannot be conveyed via ARC or S/PDIF optical. If you were wanting to benefit from both the HD audio and the UHD video from such a source then you could use an aydio extractor. You'd basically split the output from such a source, conveying the 4K video directly to the compliant display via HDMI while simultaneously conveying the HD audio to the AV receiver via HDMI. Depending upon the UHD disc player, you may not even require such an extractor? Many UHD disc players include 2 HDMI outputs that you can simultaneously convey the video the the display via while also conveying the audio to the AV receiver. If dealing with other UHD source such as streaming boxes or media players then you'd need the extractor because such sources don't have the dual HDMI outputs you'd get with most UHD disc players.

Here's such an HDMI splitter/ audio extractor:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom