Sony STR-DN1080 7.2-Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

Unfortunately only 4K as my TV does not have HDR. It did take some fiddling getting the right HDMI cables to work well, in the end I used Amazon basics HDMI cables and they worked perfectly.

As for HDR, I see no reason why that would be a problem. I have heard it works for some people, an not for others with this setup. Thing is, not all TVs that are HDR play nicely with all receivers dor some unknown reason. Cables also seem to be a bit of a minefield. A friend of mine has a Yamaha Atmos receiver, nice bit of kit. However, HDR drops out on his PS4 Pro/Sony TV when he plugs his Nintendo into any other HDMI port. So many odd little quirks in this arena at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. The PS4 Pro is known to be problematic with lots of devices when trying to display 4k with HDR even when connected directly to the TV.

How come this AVR only shows volume from 0-73 and not in dB like I always read about other AVRs? What should be the reference volume level that is equivalent to 0dB between 0 and 73? or does it only set after calibration?

How come this AVR only shows volume from 0-73 and not in dB like I always read about other AVRs? What should be the reference volume level that is equivalent to 0dB between 0 and 73? or does it only set after calibration?

Sony don't use and haven't adopted the more commonly used relative master volume scale for their AV receiver and you only get an absolute option. There is no level in an absolute scale that would indicate reference in association with the same setting on all receivers using that scale. You'd have to measure the SPL from your seating posotion in order to maculate what absolute master volume level that equates to reference in relation to your setup.

Hi there can any owners of this receiver help me. I received mine today and on the top of the unit near the front are 2 dips or dents. Is this normal or do I have a damaged item. They are evenly spaced and don’t feel like they have any give but I’m really not sure. Thanks in advance.

Nothing like that on the top of mine. Only dents or dips on mine are on the sides where the screws are. Sounds like you have a damaged unit to me tbh.

Hi im not really in the market for one but rrad the reviews and I've a question.

It mentions placing the overhead speakers towards the middle of the room instead of the front as an option. Is there a simple setting in the menu for example to tell the device where youe speaker is?

Thanks

Hi im not really in the market for one but rrad the reviews and I've a question.

It mentions placing the overhead speakers towards the middle of the room instead of the front as an option. Is there a simple setting in the menu for example to tell the device where youe speaker is?

Thanks
Yes there is. Overhead speakers settings set to TM (I guess it means Top Middle) This is in Speaker Pattern setting.

I’m interested in getting one of these, to be used for streaming music primarily but also linked to tv, however only 2 front speaker set up. The reviewer made comment a couple of times to other systems that would be better for a set up like that. I’m interested to what that would be (£500 budget). Ideally with high res, hdmi arc and good connectivity inc Apple play. Thanks.

For some reason my 1080 is starting to act up ie no audio on any inputs some menu,s greyed out and the only way to get the audio back is to keep unpluging it at the mains
any ideas m8s

Have you tried a reset? It's a bit drastic but it should clear any bugs that have snuck in

Oh no no video or audio when trying to watch sky q box had to turn avr off again to get it back.

Maybe try a firmware update. If that fails then your next step is to speak to the retailer that sold it to you. As you are UK based they retailer has a responsibility to help even after the implied warranty runs out.

firmware up to date reset it again seems to be working up to now
thanks
ps i have a question when using upward firing atmos speakers placed on top of the towers set up asks for distance from ceiling to floor , does this mean measure from top of the atmos speaker to ceiling then down to floor its very confusing on what measurement to enter

I've always used the full distance from floor to ceiling when I add this measurement. But it's a good point, the system doesn't know where the speakers are in relation to the ceiling (unless they are ceiling mounted, which mine aren't) So perhaps the measurement should be from speaker top to ceiling? I'll give it a go later and see if I notice any difference.

I checked the online Sony help guide which does specify the height is floor to ceiling, so you set that first then run auto calibration. I've a feeling I set my ceiling height after I did the calibration, so I will redo it when I have the opportunity. I doubt it will make much difference, but I'd rather do things inline with their recommendations

Hope this helps

So, went through the settings and from what the menu says, the ceiling measurement is for in ceiling speakers, not upfiring. That's how it seemed to me, so upfiring audio should get set correctly by the calibration routine.

Apparently not when going thru calibration settings it says cieling distance can be set after the calibration set up strange

I am very interested in this unit, but a requirement is that it supports gapless playback of FLAC's from a USB flash drive (I have been able to determine that it will play FLAC's from a USB flash drive, but have been unable to find an answer as to whether or not playback will be gapless). I'm surprised that I cannot find mention of this - I thought it would be a concern for many others, as it is for me. Even Sony Customer "Support" has been unable to provide the answer.

I am very interested in this unit, but a requirement is that it supports gapless playback of FLAC's from a USB flash drive (I have been able to determine that it will play FLAC's from a USB flash drive, but have been unable to find an answer as to whether or not playback will be gapless). I'm surprised that I cannot find mention of this - I thought it would be a concern for many others, as it is for me. Even Sony Customer "Support" has been unable to provide the answer.

I might be able to test this, I'm sure I have a FLAC album with tracks that play from one to the next without the previous song ending, if that makes sense! I'll give it a go and see if there is a gap between songs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom